7mm build

The 7mm RM with a 8 twist barrel with the 180-195 bergers will kill at any practical range like lightening. The 180 berger hits like a mortor and will blow an exit hole about the size of a tennis ball. I have a proof research barrel on my 338 edge at 28" and the gun weighs about 8lbs. Also look at the 28 nosler or 7mm norma mag. I used a gunwerks GBR action on my edge and really like it. I s a great precision action for about $850.00 this action already has the extended mag well, filed stripable firing pin and is ultra smooth action
It was stoopid of me not to mention that I do long-distance shooting only. Certainly wouldn't recommend my 284 Jarrett with the heavy J Allen stock, etc., combined with S&B PMII 5x25 at 20+ total pounds for hunting, let alone a "mountain rifle". Unless you want to reliably shoot game at 1,000+ yds with some crosswind from stable position. And you'd need the Berger 195 gr hunting rather than target bullet....

This was an interesting observation from Broz on the 7mm 195 killing elk from this thread;
https://www.longrangehunting.com/threads/7mm-sherman-short-mag-vs-300-win-mag.170582/page-2
---------------------------------------------------------------------

"But since I spent last fall killing elk like a mad man (70 elk taken total) and the 300 win with a 215 Hybrid @3035 and the 7-300with a 195 @2950 were the two rifles use most for the first of many kills, let me offer some real world long range hunting results. PS, both rifles loaded to max with equal pressure signs.

First, to the OP, you are cheating your 300 win with the 210 VLD. It is no doubt that the 195 is one of, if not the best bullets for external ballistics there is for a 7. So lets offer the same to the 300 win and feed it a 215 Hybrid with a much higher BC than the 210 VLD. It is only fair to compare hybrid ogive to hybrid ogive right? Plus the 215 Hybrid with its shorter bearing surface than the 210 VLD will actually get more velocity than a 210 with less powder. Been there done it over and over.

Now lets go kill elk. I mentioned the 300 win and the 7-300 were the two most used rifles during a good part of last season here. This included a pre-season management hunt, all season long. And a post-season management hunt. Some nights we even had these two rifles side by side with a different hunter on each rifle while we waited in the blind for the elk to enter the hay field. Here are the results. The 215 Hybrid will out kill the 195 in a way so obvious after about a 15 or 20 elk taken with the 7 I put it away. The 300 with a 215 , not once needed a second shot to dispatch the elk. The 7mm, several needed a second shot. Now, add in the real world possibility of a less than perfectly placed shot and the advantage in terminal performance of the 300 with a 215 becomes even more evident.

This I feel is a great comparison. Why?
1: Because all this info is real and happened.
2: Same parent case were used.
3: Same powder were used
4: Same barrel brand and length were used same number of lands and groves
5: Repeated results were studied with several witnesses
6: I personally field dressed about 50 elk and documented the terminal performance, wound channels and shot placements myself
7: Optimum bullet used for each chambering
8: Both with the same muzzle brakes and barrel contour.

Since I just happen to have both of these rifles in my ballistic app, with drops documented to a mile and confirmed. Lets compare the real world external ballistics.

7-300 win with 195 Berger @ 2950
800 yards 10 mph 3:00 wind
dial up 15.9 moa right 2.6 moa
impact velocity 2150 energy 2000

300 win with 215 Hybrid @ 3035
800 yards with 10 mph 3:00 wind
dial up 15.0 moa and right 2.8 moa
impact velocity 2141 energy 2188

7mm takes .2 moa less wind (one click)
300 has 1 moa less drop (4 clicks)
300 arrives with 188 lbs more energy.

I used 800 yards because the OP was about at that distance for his comparison. And 400 to 850 were where we took all of these elk. But if you want to go further the same trend in results will only magnify the advantages of each.

So I offer these documented results for those who are trying to decide between the 7 and the 30. It will always boil down to personal needs. But if elk are ever going to be in your freezer, under equal conditions, the 30 cal will out kill the 7 all day long."

I know Jeff has tons of experience, but I also know that Jeff has a very strong bias towards anything .30 caliber and the 215 Hybrids. But come on, there is only a 0.024" difference in diameter, and only 20gr difference in weight. They can't be that vastly different in the field. That's like trying to say the .277 160gr and the .264 140gr are vasty different in their killing ability... The reason he probably had quicker and cleaner kills with his .300WM and 215's is because he has tons of experience with it, and has tons of confidence in it. Sometimes even the slightest bit of subconscious can make you miss by just enough to make a difference in how the animal reacts when hit.

Once again, not saying Jeff is wrong, and I have no elk killing experience, but I have shot tons of deer with everything from .223 up to .300 Weatherby (haven't shot one with my Ackley yet), and if you do not hit the 100% correct spot, it doesn't matter what you shot it with, they're gonna run. Being that elk are nothing more than oversize deer, I would assume similar circumstances when shot.

I have a 7mm rem mag and a 7 RUM My 7 mag shoots 1.25 to 1.5 at 300 all day long with 180 burgers ser .015 off the lands. Can't ask for much more than that from a factory sps rem. My 7 rum is a factory sendero shoots 1.0 to 1.5 with 180s. Both rifles shoot better than I can. I personally think you should pick Whatever 7mm you like and shoot the hell out of it.

I built a 7mm Practical on a Mausingfield action.

I shoot the 180 ELD-M at 3100fps. Gave it a work out on steel out to 1 mile.

Here is the cartridge info.:
https://www.ballisticstudies.com/Knowledgebase/7mm+Practical.html

I really like this rifle.

I got the same caliber built on a mark v action.
It's much better at shooting than the man behind the scope.
There's probably not a single country where hunting is performed and there is no chance to get brass for this caliber.
Fireforming is quick and easy.

I shot 7mm RM for quite a while with great successs using lighter 168 VLD's. When i wanted to step it up a bit and chose a cartridge to shoot the 180-195's, the question I asked myself was what cartridge & brass is readily available off the shelf and which cartridge can sling them @ 3000+ FPS comfortably without ringing it's neck. For me the answer was the the 28 Nosler. You have the option of Facotry ammo also and you don't have to fire form etc if your a little time poor as most of us are. Only **** thing is barrel life is supposedly under 1000 rounds but performance comes at a cost.

If you reload go with the 28 Nosler. Brass is almost $3.00 each but it is the most efficient of the Hot 7s. Fits into a 30-06 class Action. I wouldn't have a RUM shoved up my *** if I had room for a Howitzer. WAY too much powder for such little gain. STW is old news in a Magnum Length Action. If I was building a 7, it would be the "Wind Cheater", the 28 Nosler!

I know Jeff has tons of experience, but I also know that Jeff has a very strong bias towards anything .30 caliber and the 215 Hybrids. But come on, there is only a 0.024" difference in diameter, and only 20gr difference in weight. They can't be that vastly different in the field. That's like trying to say the .277 160gr and the .264 140gr are vasty different in their killing ability... The reason he probably had quicker and cleaner kills with his .300WM and 215's is because he has tons of experience with it, and has tons of confidence in it. Sometimes even the slightest bit of subconscious can make you miss by just enough to make a difference in how the animal reacts when hit.

Once again, not saying Jeff is wrong, and I have no elk killing experience, but I have shot tons of deer with everything from .223 up to .300 Weatherby (haven't shot one with my Ackley yet), and if you do not hit the 100% correct spot, it doesn't matter what you shot it with, they're gonna run. Being that elk are nothing more than oversize deer, I would assume similar circumstances when shot.
Would it be fair to say that you swing the other way? I mean towards the 7?:D:D:D

Thinking of building a 7mm to use the Berger 180's or 195 EOL's. Going to primarily use for S Texas long sendero shooting but also will be packing it out west. Thinking of using a Proof 26" 8 twist to stabilize the heavy bullets. Not tied to a specific caliber. Looking at a Bighorn TL3 long action to be able to have the option to switch calibers at a later date if wanted.

Thoughts on cartridges?
Don't overlook the 28 Nosler. The Rifle will require the wyatt extended mag box and follower if you seat the bullet out to get the case capacity you will need for the velocity you want with the 195VLD. Plus the bottom of the receiver will need to be modified for that box. Bighorn will accommodate you at your request if you do so with the order up front.

I'm a lefty and just finishing the same rifle. 28 Nosler, AG Composite carbon stock, 26" Proof carbon barrel 8 twist with Brake from Whidden Gun Works. Bighorn long SR3 left hand Long Mag Bolt head action. Bix'n Andy sporter trigger. I got here due to a year of experience with another custom 28 Nosler. The 180VLD and down is one animal, the 195 is a different world. The base to ojive is different enough between the two ranges of bullets that it really needs to be conscious choice to build around the 195. If you do that you will be jumping the other bullets a lot. That was my experience. And if you want that quarter MOA rifle the jump is critical to consistency. After the smoke cleared I chose the Wyatt Standard mag box length that will allow 3.620 of overall length and we adjusted the throat and lead to the 180VLD. I can load the 168VLD, the 168 Classic Hunter, the 175 Elite Hunter and the 180 VLD Hunting and still get it on the lands if I want. I will still be able to load the 195 but the velocity will be, guessing, 150FPS under what the extended system would allow. Before you build around a 195 bullet be sure you know what you are going to use it for. Even my loose chambered long jump works well, on steel, out to over 800 yds with the 168VLD. New rifle should be here any day now. And we will see if it all proves out.
Just Saying,

Would it be fair to say that you swing the other way? I mean towards the 7?:D:D:D
Well, seeing as to how I've been shooting 7mm's for over 22 years, I'd say, yeah... I've been shooting .30 calibers longer (started out with a .30-30 :D), but my preferred bullet diameter is 7mm. And ironically, I actually currently have more .30 caliber rifles in my safe, than I do 7mm's. Hopefully that will change soon. Not getting rid of any .30's, just wanting to add a few more 7mm's. I'd like to get another 7mm-08, a .280 Sherman, and maybe a 7mm SS in the future. :cool:

I realize not everyone has a hatred for the belted mags but here's what I dislike;
I've had issues with really tight bolt closure when sizing off the shoulder after several firings, the case can expand just above the belt and requires more dicking around to size correctly.
The 7mm Rem mag has more case capacity, and is less efficient than a wsm.
My buddy has a 7mm rem mag that I've been helping him load for and he's had so many issues getting that thing to shoot consistently that he's calling it quits and getting a new rifle.
Sorry if this offends the belted mag guys, this is just my experience.
Do a little reading and you'll see I'm not the only one, my point is if you don't have to shoot a belted mag then why do it.....
I have a MRC in 7RM. Will shoot sub 1/2" with 162 ELD-X. But the case expands in front of the belt requiring the case to be swagged at that area. Another step and it drives me crazy. No more belted cartridges for me. 28 Nosler next step up.
Just Saying.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.