7mm build

What is your definition of ridiculously long neck?? I know nothing about the 7LRM but the most accurate cartridges today have looooong necks - 6PPC for example. I also like long necks for chasing the lands and there are some - that are more knowledgeable than me say longer necks are easier on throats.

"Most accurate"??

Yeah true. The only places I ever saw prefit shouldered 700 barrels highly suggest/require proper head spacing to be done by a smith or someone with extensive experience. Which seems to negate the usefulness of a prefit barrel.

Its very easy to do. The Curtis action is different than the remage type fitting but is still very easy if you have any skills with tools.

What is your definition of ridiculously long neck?? I know nothing about the 7LRM but the most accurate cartridges today have looooong necks - 6PPC for example. I also like long necks for chasing the lands and there are some - that are more knowledgeable than me say longer necks are easier on throats.
They proved a long time ago that long necks don't determine anything to do with accuracy...If anything, it can be detrimental if too long, as it gives you more room for bent necks or improperly (crooked) seated bullets. You only need the same length, as the diameter of your projectile. So, if you are shooting a .30 caliber, you only need a minimum of .308" long neck on your case. 7mm = .284" long neck, etc... etc...

The 7lrm, which is a 375 ruger necked to 7mm with the shoulder pushed way back, has a neck length of around 0.380, by far longest neck length in 7mm cartridges by a long shot.

Its very easy to do. The Curtis action is different than the remage type fitting but is still very easy if you have any skills with tools.

That was my point. Prefit shouldered barrels for Curtis Custom and Bighorn are much easier to come by that shouldered prefit actual 700 barrels if you don't want a barrel nut

They proved a long time ago that long necks don't determine anything to do with accuracy...If anything, it can be detrimental if too long, as it gives you more room for bent necks or improperly (crooked) seated bullets. You only need the same length, as the diameter of your projectile. So, if you are shooting a .30 caliber, you only need a minimum of .308" long neck on your case. 7mm = .284" long neck, etc... etc...

I am not sure I buy this explanation. 6PPC, 6BR and others have a few things in common and that is long necks. If you have research that validates your opinion I would like to see it - as in who is THEY?

Thinking of building a 7mm to use the Berger 180's or 195 EOL's. Going to primarily use for S Texas long sendero shooting but also will be packing it out west. Thinking of using a Proof 26" 8 twist to stabilize the heavy bullets. Not tied to a specific caliber. Looking at a Bighorn TL3 long action to be able to have the option to switch calibers at a later date if wanted.

Thoughts on cartridges?
I think your barrel twist choice will work well with any of the larger overbore or magnum calibers. It will be especially important should you choose to run the 195 EOL's which I do have experience with. I am currently running them with that exact 26" barrel in the former wildcat and now more known 7MM-338 Norma Improved, which is very finicky. A more inline caliber such as the 28 Nosler may be a better choice, especially if you want to run different calibers at a later date. Choosing a parent case such as the 404 Jeffrey (.534 face - 28 Nosler parent) which is used for multiple 30 and 7MM calibers - will allow for that.

For any case that will run more than 90 grains of powder, you may want to consider a 28-30 inch barrel length to reach maximum potential. That is not always realistic for hunting and running a 26 will make it easier to manage in the bush and subsequently will reduce your potential FPS as well. You may also see some pressure issues running that twist if you load to the upper area of case capacity, depending on final caliber you choose.

Yeah I have read that before but my takeaway is the only advantage is that the bullet self aligns in the bore. Where else is this beneficial other than Benchrest??
I never said something that short was beneficial in real-world applications, it was just proof that long necks doesn't make any difference in accuracy. That's all you asked for. If you read my other post, I said that most people that design wildcats use the minimum standard of equal length neck to the bullet diameter. For real world applications, this is all that is necessary.

I never said something that short was beneficial in real-world applications, it was just proof that long necks doesn't make any difference in accuracy. That's all you asked for. If you read my other post, I said that most people that design wildcats use the minimum standard of equal length neck to the bullet diameter. For real world applications, this is all that is necessary.

I understand what you are saying but your example was way over the top. This cartridge will only shoot jammed so technically the extremely short neck has little to do with holding or aligning a bullet.

Like I stated above I like a long neck mostly for chasing the lands. Also, a properly sized case neck will not have issues with crooked or bent necks. If someone is having this problem they shouldn't be handloading.

I have a custom 7mm rem mag with an 8 twist barrel. I shoot the 195 bergers @ 2975fps.
I haven't had an issues with reloading the belted cases. Ryan Pierce @ Piercision Rifles makes an awesome 28 Nosler using Kelbly actions and Proof barrels. Sometimes he has an extra one on the shelf. His rifles consistently shoot 1/4 to 1/2 moa.

I have a custom 7mm rem mag with an 8 twist barrel. I shoot the 195 bergers @ 2975fps.
I haven't had an issues with reloading the belted cases. Ryan Pierce @ Piercision Rifles makes an awesome 28 Nosler using Kelbly actions and Proof barrels. Sometimes he has an extra one on the shelf. His rifles consistently shoot 1/4 to 1/2 moa.

Barrel length and powder??

It's a 700 ultra mag action with an 8 twist, 26" varmint contour, fluted barrel throated for 180's at 3.115" oal
Pre fit "Remage" set up from match grade machine.
Zeiss v6 3-18×50, it's got a Bell and Carlson stock but I'm about to put an ultralight carbon fiber stock on it.
It weighs 9.2 lbs scoped, it'll be about 8.5 with the new stock.
I just put the load together with the 195's at 2925 fps, I'll see how it groups this weekend.
Here's a pic of the rifle with the Muley I just shot at 430 yards
View attachment 111177
THATS AWESOME! I have a 7RUM I took back to Colorado last year and hunted elk and antelope. I have the magpul stock and use accurate magazines for it. Since I had c.o.a.l. issues I built another rifle this year in 28 Nosler with a McGowen barrel. Not a "build" like most people but a build all the same. Like seeing people using the big boys!

Thinking of building a 7mm to use the Berger 180's or 195 EOL's. Going to primarily use for S Texas long sendero shooting but also will be packing it out west. Thinking of using a Proof 26" 8 twist to stabilize the heavy bullets. Not tied to a specific caliber. Looking at a Bighorn TL3 long action to be able to have the option to switch calibers at a later date if wanted.

Thoughts on cartridges?
The 7mm RM with a 8 twist barrel with the 180-195 bergers will kill at any practical range like lightening. The 180 berger hits like a mortor and will blow an exit hole about the size of a tennis ball. I have a proof research barrel on my 338 edge at 28" and the gun weighs about 8lbs. Also look at the 28 nosler or 7mm norma mag. I used a gunwerks GBR action on my edge and really like it. I s a great precision action for about $850.00 this action already has the extended mag well, filed stripable firing pin and is ultra smooth action

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.