7828 ssc what can i expect

Great accuracy and velocity in my 338 RUM with 250gr pills, but the temp sensitivity annoys me. Preferred node gives pressure signs if i shoot in hot summer temps.
I hear a lot about temperature stability and IMR powders suchs as IMR4350 and IMR7828. What kind of temperature swings does it take to see it? Anyone tried to figure it out? I usually try mind before a hunt and adjust, not expecting a should temperature change, but if going from Texas to the Rockies, it could be,

I hear a lot about temperature stability and IMR powders suchs as IMR4350 and IMR7828. What kind of temperature swings does it take to see it? Anyone tried to figure it out? I usually try mind before a hunt and adjust, not expecting a should temperature change, but if going from Texas to the Rockies, it could be,

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230408_101512_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20230408_101512_Chrome.jpg
    91.6 KB · Views: 204
Temp stability gets a lot of press. My only concern is if it gets hot enough to create pressure from where the load was developed but I don't run my loads on the ragged edge. I value reliability far more than the last 100 FPS. As far as it slowing down in the cold, easy fix. Develop load, zero at 300. When it gets cold enough, check 300 yard zero and adjust. Use the vertical variance to calculate new velocity, feed that into your previously verified drops at 400, 500 on out. Most of my loads are developed around 70F, but most of my hunting is done from 0F to -40. Unless I am shooting over 800 yards, the velocity change, even with the non-temp stable IMR powders, isn't usually much of an issue.

Last edited:
Cartridges I plan on using 8828ssc for are.....243win, 6.5prc, 264wm, 300wm and lite bullets in 338lm. No loads developed yet, but will do so when I get time.

IMR....shortened the grains from 7828 to 7828sc..then to 7828ssc so the powder would meter better...and it certainly does..however they stated ...just use the same recipe as 7828 for weight....not my experience....use caution approaching book max....I turned a brand new....338 lapua Savage Elite Precision...into a Muzzle UNLOADER😎. Backed it down a notch and love the powder...have used it for years in 300 Weatherby

Finding large and large mag primers will make that endeavor a little easier. I was able to obtain 1k of br2 and 4k of win 8 1/2 that'll be here next week.
Main reason I stopped developing and loading is saving my consumables (primers, powders, bullets) for NEED vs want. I have a load for the 300bee and 180TSX, but wouldnt mind one for 300WM, 7mmRM, 338WM

Main reason I stopped developing and loading is saving my consumables (primers, powders, bullets) for NEED vs want. I have a load for the 300bee and 180TSX, but wouldnt mind one for 300WM, 7mmRM, 338WM
All that I listed are fairly new and either none to 60 rounds shot from them. I only have developed rounds for 1 270win and 1 264wm. I do have a fair amount of factory ammo to shoot in all except the 6.5prc. No factory rounds can be shot in it due to cartridge length restriction of 2.830". The Norma's I've found are the closest at 2.860" with their 143 golden target bullet. Depending on ctbo I might be able to single feed them, but could be op'd in them with a short throat?