7 wsm or 7 saum

3051 fps with a 175gr is pretty impressive for the 7 SAUM. Must be a long action. You loving that garmin?
Remy short action 😁

Yes I really like the Garmin
IMG_6448.jpeg

Last edited:
If velocity is what your after, the 7mm PRC should outrun the 7mm RSAUM with that added case volume.
This is true. But when I had my 7 prc I also had a 7Saum. I loaded 175 EH in both rifles with RL 26 in both and the 7 prc was only 20-30 fps more velocity over the 7 saum with grains more powder. 7 prc was 2970 fps 24" bbl , 7 saum 2950 fps 24" bbl.
I still have the 7 saum and the 7 prc is gone and not because it was a bad rifle I just like the 7 saum better , almost the same performance with less powder is a no brainer.
My brass which is ADG is on its seventh loading for my saum and pockets are as tight as they were the first time I seated a primer.

..the entire SAUM line of cartridges is much better than anyone could imagine...as accurate as any .308 caliber or .284 caliber cartridges I've ever been around. Dam shame they don't get the notoriety they deserve...
What kept them from getting popular and staying that way?
No good brass available? I'm sure Remington probably goofed it somehow.
I was into belted mags back then, never paid it much attention.
The Sherman Short Mag line made me put my blinker on though.

What kept them from getting popular and staying that way?
I remember the articles from back then. All about velocity. The WSMs had the largest cases, so they were a little faster and that was what mattered at the time. After all, the Short Mags were some of the last of the "light bullet, fast and flat" cartridge designs. Many of the articles didn't even test for accuracy, just velocity. The holy grail was cramming it into a true (2.8"-ish) short action and going fast. I've linked to a 2010 Rifleshooter Mag article for the 300 short mags including the RCM, as an example, more fair than most. It points out the WSM's advantage with the light bullet, which was a best seller in factory ammo. Interestingly this article didn't test factory ammo which put the RCM at a disadvantage since Hornady had just developed superformance powders which made up for the RCM's powder volume deficit, especially out of compact, 20" barrels.

The WSMs maximized case volume largely by having slightly longer cases with short necks... but this left no room for freebore in the chamber, just a tapered throat. The SAUMs, arguably have the better design. The 7mm SAUM, for example have 0.09" of snug freebore (0.2846" dia) and a 0.31"-long neck which was preferred by those concerned more with accuracy than velocity. When put on a longer action, case capacity can be gained by loading long and bullets with longer ogives can be used, of course.

It looks that only the 300 WSM has remained somewhat popular as a factory cartridge. I suspect it was easier to tune for accuracy than the 300 Win Mag and its relatively sloppy chamber. Of course American hunters traditionally love .30 cal. 7mm has gained wider popularity in the past decade or so. For a long time, the Rem Mag was it. Many also believe that the 7mm Rem Mag had a better reputation for accuracy than the 300 WM so the 270 and 7mm short mags had a tougher time being seen as an improvement.

My guess is that there was also not enough difference between the 270 WSM, 7mm SAUM and 7mm SAUM for any one of them to become a clear winner. They each cannibalized each other's sales for rifles and ammo. The 270 WSM had a little more support from 270 die-hards, but the 6.8 Western has largely killed that.

Last edited:
I just ordered 500 pieces of Lapua 300 WSM brass and it'll be what I use in my 7mm WSM's. I think this is a great compromise since there is absolutely no support for the 7 WSM anymore. I haven't seen any brass or factory ammo where I live for a few years but honestly I don't think I'd buy it if I could unless Lapua started making factory 7mm WSM brass.