Need help with a Mauser

Bang4theBuck

I built a 25-06 Rem off of a commercial Dumaulin Mauser. The action is new. My issue is that while it feeds well and shoots very accurately, it does not extract well. The extractor claw drops the spent cartridge as soon as it is about 50% clear of the chamber. Also, if you remove the bolt and place a cartridge head behind the claw extractor, it doesn't hang onto it at all. It seems like either the claw is not wide enough, or the bolt face is out of spec. making the fit very loose. I have tried two different other extractors, to no avail. Where do you all recommend I go from here? Seems like I need a mauser expert to sort this one out.

Is it possible your bolt has a magnum bolt face, or maybe you are fitting it with magnum extractors? I've rebarreled a good many Mausers, only time I ever encountered any issues was with magnum extractors on a standard bolt face, can you post pictures

Yes, please post some pics. Take the extractor off and send a few pics of the extractor collar too - to give a bit of reference to its standoff height. I have a stash of parts and extractors for Parker-Hale, german military, Dumoulin, Zastava/Daly/Remington and a few other makes. If your bolt face is a non-magnum, your extractor collar may be the wrong style - there are some oddballs out there that are taller in profile than others. I'm in europe on my honeymoon for a few more weeks, but I'm certain we can get your problem sorted out in short order. Lots of good mauser enthusiasts/'smiths around here. Not all Dumoulin actions are of the high quality their earlier rifles were. A lot of the actions purchased through Sarco were of lesser quality/finish - I have a few of them and purchased some of their Dumoulin parts some years back when it was available. I did see that they have/had barreled actions in various cartridges the past few years. Is this what you started your build with?