7 wsm or 7 saum

Lapua 300 WSM brass is currently in production. I don’t know if you can just do a straight neck down and it will still chamber in a 7 WSM.
I have 7wsm, 7 SAUM, 7 SS, 7Mega…
I would do a 7 SAUM or 7 MAX.

Going to build one of these two for a wife/kid rifle for bull elk hunt this fall. Can’t decide on one or the other. Will be on a XM+ action so coal isn’t an issue for either. Will have a 22” carbon barrel with a can on the end. I know I’m splitting hairs would like some feedback on what people have used and like.
Saum is much easier to feed. The wsm has a little more capacity, but that can be mitigated by seating long if the throat is cut for it. We have a full line up of saum stuff on the shelf. Wsm not so much.

Unless you go to an XM 3.200", XM+, or 3.340" or longer LA. Then a 7WSM will fit much better. But still not overly long for a SAUM.
This! I have a 7MM SAUM; stay on course with the 7WSM. Good luck!
Edited it is is a Xm length action. Thanks for keeping me inline! 😂
Just don't ask @lancetkenyon for scopes. OK, I have done my job; you've been warned.

7 SAUM or 7SS. Remember, "medium" actions are usually an R700 SA length as described by most action builders. Usually with a 2.980" Wyatt's box or Accurate mag length. So be specific with "medium" explanations when you are ordering an action.

Unless you go to an XM 3.200", XM+, or 3.340" or longer LA. Then a 7WSM will fit much better. But still not overly long for a SAUM.
This used to be true, but Defiance is now calling the XM+ a medium action

This used to be true, but Defiance is now calling the XM+ a medium action
That's good to know. Thanks!
1719749421085.png

As Lance noted,

7 SAUM or 7SS. Remember, "medium" actions are usually an R700 SA length as described by most action builders. Usually with a 2.980" Wyatt's box or Accurate mag length. So be specific with "medium" explanations when you are ordering an action.

Lapua 300 WSM brass is currently in production. I don’t know if you can just do a straight neck down and it will still chamber in a 7 WSM.
You can neck down 300WSM or neck up 270WSM. 1st shot will be fire-forming as the shoulder on the 7 is pushed forward a bit vs. all the other WSM’s.

Much of my 7WSM brass is head stamped 270WSM as I’ve necked it up and FF’d it.

I have built 4 different 7mm/300WSM rifles, with 20-22” barrels on various short actions and feed all of them from AICS no binder plate magazines. 180 bergers (2950ish), 150 ABLR (3100ish), and now a couple of Hammers have all had excellent performance.

I’m not arguing the woes of sporadic brass availability, although I will point out that it is unfortunately common across many cartridges.
I don’t see any differences or particular challenges with feeding.
I just see a difference in case volume, and resultant performance.

I've got a tight twist 7mm barrel with the wrong chamber in it that I've been thinking to turn into a 7-300WSM. I had thought of going 7 WSM, but further reading convinced me that the 7-300 was the better option.

That's like asking if a man prefers headlights or taillights (if you catch my drift). They're both just so great.

Just as long as you stay away from the woke, rainbow-haired 7 PRC with its fanboiz and lies
What’s woke or lying about a 7PRC with 190’s at 2900+ with consistent .5 moa or less precision? With n568, not a powder known for velocity.
Or 3000+ with 180’s and H1000. No speedster there.

When all the BS talk is set aside, it’s an 81+ degree case of fairly good design that sits in correctly free-bored chambers, for high BC heavy bullets. I’d like it more as 40* for sure, though.

That’s why the 7 Mega is almost complete!

Years ago I wanted to build a 7WSM but due to the lack of quality brass, I did a 7mm-270WSM using Norma brass. It’s about .090 shorter than the 7 WSM. Turns out that the 7-270WSM seems to hit a sweet spot in case capacity similar to the 7SAUM.
Today I would do the SAUM. It’s a better case design and quality brass is easier to find.