7 wsm or 7 saum

IDhunter0990

Going to build one of these two for a wife/kid rifle for bull elk hunt this fall. Can’t decide on one or the other. Will be on a XM+ action so coal isn’t an issue for either. Will have a 22” carbon barrel with a can on the end. I know I’m splitting hairs would like some feedback on what people have used and like.

Last edited:
I just had one built in 7SAUM and waiting on delivery. Medium action and 22 inch Proof CF barrel.
Lane Precison Rifles aka Dallas or Big D. She is a beauty.

image000000.jpeg

7 SAUM or 7SS. Remember, "medium" actions are usually an R700 SA length as described by most action builders. Usually with a 2.980" Wyatt's box or Accurate mag length. So be specific with "medium" explanations when you are ordering an action.

Unless you go to an XM 3.200", XM+, or 3.340" or longer LA. Then a 7WSM will fit much better. But still not overly long for a SAUM.

I built a few wsms a few years back. They’ve been awesome. They keep up with the new PRC with similar barrel length based on what I’m seeing reporting.

I don’t own a SAUM but suspect it will get within 100fps or so as well.

Concur that brass is tough. I’ve gobbled up 400-500 pieces though and think it will last me a decade at least.

If you want to go wsm, buy brass first. Only manufactured I know of currently is Bertram.

For ref. Both of mine are fed from SA magazines at about 2.96 OAL w/175eldx. One is a tikka, the other a SA savage.

Tikka with a 20” C6 barrel shoots 2900fps without signs of pressure. Savage with 23” C6 shoots 2975.

7 SAUM or 7SS. Remember, "medium" actions are usually an R700 SA length as described by most action builders. Usually with a 2.980" Wyatt's box or Accurate mag length. So be specific with "medium" explanations when you are ordering an action.

Unless you go to an XM 3.200", XM+, or 3.340" or longer LA. Then a 7WSM will fit much better. But still not overly long for a SAUM.
Edited it is is a Xm length action. Thanks for keeping me inline! 😂

I went through this a couple years ago and wound up with the SAUM, and not to muddy the waters but If I had to do it again I'd do a 7-300wsm for a bit more case capacity and the 300wsm brass is available from ADG.
7 wsm case is a touch longer than the 300 wsm but I'm not sure why ADG never made it, now that the 7 prc is here we'll likely never see it.

Last edited: