6 BR vs. 6mm Creedmoor

Cgable

I’m looking for something in the 6 mm and I’m stuck on these two rounds. Which is better for hunting & targets at long range ?

What kind of hunting do you plan on doing, deer, moose, etc.?

I only hunt prairie dogs and paper these days and a 6BR works great at long distances. I've used 90 gr Lapua ammunition and currently use Berger 105 VLD Hunting bullets or the 85 gr Berger match grade varmint bullets with Varget powder. The 6 BR is so easy to load and tune I can't see me going to anything else. Barrel life is also really good.

I've never jumped on the creedmore band wagon and don't really need to.

6Cm is going to have higher velocities than a 6BR.

If it is for shooting or varmint hunting where barrel life is a concern, the 6BR is a better choice.

If it is for small/varmints/medium game like deer/pronghorn/coyotes, the 6CM makes sense.

Don't leave out the 6GT, 6x47L, 6XC if you are exploring midsized 6mm cases. There are several others too, that are a bit more work but produce amazing results. 6PPC, 6 Dasher, 6BRA, etc.

Been shooting the 6BR since early 90's. It will shoot all loads very good,some loads great! It also has stood the test of time. The creedmoor right at this time probably has better brass availability. Love my BR's and see no reason to go to the creedmoor. If I didn't have the BR would I go to the creedmoor? We will never know.

6 creed is the easy button. I ran mine with 105 Berger’s at 3k out of a 22 inch barrel. Both the wife and I have 6 gt’s for comp guns and run 112’s at 27-2800. If barrel life is a concern when I sold my 6 creed to a good friend it had 1100 rounds on it and was still shooting lights out. To lance’s point the 6bra is awesome but dies are more expensive: we chose gt for high volume shooting because it’s cheap and there is a factory ammo offering and barrel life should go 2500 rounds plus. We have just over 600 round on each gun at the moment.

I have zero experience with either. However, I’ve had my eye on the 6 CM for a bit now. Great reviews on the 6 CM from the hunting crowd. You certainly can shoot steel with it as well. As mentioned above, you can find the brass from most retailers. If I were to buy any 6mm cartridge today it would be the 6 CM.

I agree..build a 6 Dasher and end your pain..all 3 are extremely accurate and easy to make work...fun to shoot, comparatively cheap to shoot...I use all 3 under competition benchrest conditions to a 1000 yards and have found the Dasher the most accurate by far..
20210502_113129.jpg
20210704_111128.jpg
20190602_131128.jpg

Between your two choices it’s more of a set up concern than anything. If it’s hunting, is this rifle a factory or custom? Is it bdl or dbm.

Between the two calibers the 6br is a clear winner for me. 105’s at 2850fps is just ridiculously accurate with 0 recoil. The creeds are harder on barrels, harder to stay in tune, and I’ve never had one as accurate as a br. Now that said they are still plenty accurate!

The issue is if this is a bdl then the br might and most likely will be hard to feed and in that case the creed is the obvious choice. I’d this is a dbm then I’d still go br or a variant off.

I run 6 br, 6bra and 22bra, sold off the creed.

I will add my wife’s gt doesn’t feed worth a darn unless it’s from a poly mag. Mine is on an origin action hers is a Bergara that I’ve had to pretty much gut and start over. I’m playing with running mags to make it better. With that said the dasher will feed out of be mags and a kit if you wanna run detachable mags or single shot. I don’t know of many running from a bdl.

I have a custom 6cm hunting setup and it shoots .5 moa to 1000. I have an old bench 22-250 i bought used that I am thinking about re barreling to something 6mm. I shoot in alot of wind. I am curious too which one to go with.

I'm looking for something in the 6 mm and I'm stuck on these two rounds. Which is better for hunting & targets at long range ?

We are truly blessed with a large number of 6mm and 6.5mm bullets and cartridges. You have lots to choose from and still be assured of good accuracy at longer ranges.

But, be aware that even the heaviest 6mm bullets will get pushed all over the map when you're trying longer distances in windy conditions. Yes, even the 6mm Creedmoor, just a little less.

Any of the BR style cases and shoulder angles are excellent for both hunting and targets. Feeding in the BDL type magazines requires dedication and work. It's far simple to shoot single shot or better yet, buy the MDT magazines created for those 6mmBR cartridges. There are also kits made to convert some magazines but they aren't as good as the expensive MDT magazines.

If you're looking to defeat some of the windy conditions, switch your thinking to the 6.5mm bullets and cartridges.

:)

I’ve got a 6.5 cm and a 6.5 x 284 so I’m good on the 6.5. The biggest thing I would hunt with it would be a deer. I wouldn’t shoot a ton but I would like to be able to shoot a lot if I wanted to

Recent Posts