6.8 Western or 300WSM

I became a Model 70 guy after 3 consecutive really serious problems with Remington 700's. One of those rifles made five trips back and forth to Remington over a 3 year span and never did get fixed.

In desperation I took it to a very well reputed guy who was a part time gunsmith and full time structural engineer for NASA in Houston.

A week later he called and gave me a list of what all was wrong with it and told me basically it needed to be melted down and replaced because I could spend three times what it was worth trying to fix it and probably still have a mess on my hands.

A week later I bought my first Model 70 CRF in 7mm RM. I haven't bought a new Remington since and that was circa 1994.

I've never had a problem with any of the Model 70's I've bought since and that's quite a few of them.

I'm only half joking when someone crows about all the aftermarket parts available to upgrade the model 700 there are on the market when I reply, "That's because there's just so much to improve on". 👍

Freedom Group didn't do any of the brands under their leadership any good. Remington wasn't the only victim of Freedom Group.

That being said, Remington, like most gun manufacturers, suffered some quality issues during the past when gun sales boomed and then died off thanks to dubious legislation-driven panic runs.

My one Freedom Group Remington 700 from Walmart was a little rough overall and nothing to get excited about but, what did I expect for $270? I bought it as a donor action and it turned out great.

Hey Fellas I am new to the site and I am looking for some suggestions. I am 52 years old and have been hunting and shooting all of my life. I live in the Lowcountry of South Carolina and I own and operate a sporting clay range and I have a private rifle range also.
I am thinking about buying a new rifle and I really like the way the 6.8 western looks on paper but not really sure its going to be around long enough to prove itself unless some other companies start making ammo for it (I'm not a reloader). So my other thought was 300WSM. I know one is a 30Cal and the other is a .270 so there is that. I don't want a 270WSM because I can't go past 150gr. Thoughts?

Any thoughts about the PRC options? I'm a bit old school and would seriously think about a 280AI in a standard length if my 7SAUM wasn't an option in the gun rack already as I really like the 7mm options best in a heavier caliber rifle for CONUS use.

Any thoughts about the PRC options? I'm a bit old school and would seriously think about a 280AI in a standard length if my 7SAUM wasn't an option in the gun rack already as I really like the 7mm options best in a heavier caliber rifle for CONUS use.
The 7mm-300PRC is a wildcat that's been out for quite a while.

We keep hearing that any day now Hornady is going to release a SAAMI spec 7mmPRC but it is unknown if it's going to use the 300 just necked down or the 6.5PRC case necked up.

My next 7mm will be a 7mm-300PRC whether it's a SAAMI Spec round or still just a wildcat.

I'm trying to be patient because I'd hate to do a wildcat only to have them turn around and release the standardized version weeks or months later.

Honestly, if it were a moderate 7mm (I.e. based off the 6.5PRC case), I'd love it. There are plenty of 7s that play in the >7RM territory, like the Lazzeroni, STW, etc. we need a good SA factory option in the nearly-7rm territory to compete with the 7SAUM. Heck, a standardized 7-08AI might almost fit that bill…

And one can complain about the quality of Hornady brass 'til the cows come home, but the design of the 6cm, 6.5cm, 6.5prc, 300prc are all excellent designs. That's why we can complain about the T-Rex slaying [lack of] capabilities of the 6.5cm 'til we're blue in the face, but it's still an excellent cartridge and is popular for more reasons than purely marketing (as the naysayers would suggest).

The 7mm-300PRC is a wildcat that's been out for quite a while.

We keep hearing that any day now Hornady is going to release a SAAMI spec 7mmPRC but it is unknown if it's going to use the 300 just necked down or the 6.5PRC case necked up.

My next 7mm will be a 7mm-300PRC whether it's a SAAMI Spec round or still just a wildcat.

I'm trying to be patient because I'd hate to do a wildcat only to have them turn around and release the standardized version weeks or months later.
I feel you.

That's why I finally just sprang for a 6.8w barrel. It does just about everything I'd need, and it's ballistically equivalent to the 7prc I'd design.

Honestly, if it were a moderate 7mm (I.e. based off the 6.5PRC case), I'd love it. There are plenty of 7s that play in the >7RM territory, like the Lazzeroni, STW, etc. we need a good SA factory option in the nearly-7rm territory to compete with the 7SAUM. Heck, a standardized 7-08AI might almost fit that bill…

And one can complain about the quality of Hornady brass 'til the cows come home, but the design of the 6cm, 6.5cm, 6.5prc, 300prc are all excellent designs. That's why we can complain about the T-Rex slaying [lack of] capabilities of the 6.5cm 'til we're blue in the face, but it's still an excellent cartridge and is popular for more reasons than purely marketing (as the naysayers would suggest).
Honestly, they could do two:
A 280PRC and a 7PRC…

Gotcha, if they do a 7 I imagine it will be a long action to compete with the 7mag. The 7SAUM and WSM take up that SA space pretty good already. Who knows, the more the merrier in my book. Hope we didn't derail the OPs thread too much.

I saw a used Remington xtr? 700 made in 1989 at a gun shop for sale, had some slots in barrel towards the end as some sort of recoil reducer. 24" barrel. 300 weatherby mag. In good shape stock seemed up graded. 475.00 is that a good price? Sorry I don't know how or where to start a new thread,

I saw a used Remington xtr? 700 made in 1989 at a gun shop for sale, had some slots in barrel towards the end as some sort of recoil reducer. 24" barrel. 300 weatherby mag. In good shape stock seemed up graded. 475.00 is that a good price? Sorry I don't know how or where to start a new thread,
Click on "New Posts". Then click on "post thread"!

If it is in pretty good condition, probably a good deal. If those slots are sort of a trapezoid shape, it was likely Magnaported.