6.8 Western or 300WSM

I dont know on the 80k. There is an article on this on gunsandammo site now. We have been 65k for a 100+ years so it is sort of exciting that somebody is doing something new. Sig said they are going to release family of high pressure cartridges. Can't imagine the marketplace will let them keep this to themselves

Lou

I dont know on the 80k. There is an article on this on gunsandammo site now. We have been 65k for a 100+ years so it is sort of exciting that somebody is doing something new. Sig said they are going to release family of high pressure cartridges. Can't imagine the marketplace will let them keep this to themselves

Lou
Which again in likely will not be reloadable at least in the near term and will be exceptionally hard or both barrels and actions.

When this came up for discussion a few weeks back called them and was basically told not reloadable and that they won't be selling components or dies for it because it's patented proprietary system giving them an edge over competitors.

This is from just published article which contradicts what you are saying. I assume Sig, like any other company, wants to make money and will do whatever drives that. That being said to original point whether only sig loads or not - this will drive new 277 tactical / target bulllets that can be used in other rounds. Tons of 6.8 whatever will eventually be sold once it rolls out. What do 6.5/7mm/30 all have in common that 270 (and 25) do not? Military background….

I am skeptical whether 6.5 version would be more popular or not as speculated in article. They said chose the 6.8 version because it can defeat any known battle armor which infers the 6.5 could not. Can't imagine the US public wanting a less capable round than what soldiers carrying

"I don't see too many folks shooting factory ammo in large quantity anytime soon, however, SIG Sauer will eventually make components and load data available so that handloaders can get in on the action. (Yes, SIG Sauer's hybrid cases for the .277 Fury are reloadable, which can't be said for other competitors in the NGSW bid for the U.S. Army contract.)

Video That May Interest You

00:0007:44

Will there be additional cartridges planned for a "Fury family?" A representative with SIG Sauer told me, "Yes." There is no timeline yet, and that person wouldn't say what was next in line. I'll step out on a limb and predict that the next one will be a 6.5mm SIG Fury, and I'll bet that it will be more popular than the .277 SIG Fury proves to be! The .277 SIG Fury arrived to us first because it is simply a commercialization of what SIG Sauer has already been developing for the U.S. Army's NGSW requirements

This is from just published article which contradicts what you are saying. I assume Sig, like any other company, wants to make money and will do whatever drives that. That being said to original point whether only sig loads or not - this will drive new 277 tactical / target bulllets that can be used in other rounds. Tons of 6.8 whatever will eventually be sold once it rolls out. What do 6.5/7mm/30 all have in common that 270 (and 25) do not? Military background….

I am skeptical whether 6.5 version would be more popular or not as speculated in article. They said chose the 6.8 version because it can defeat any known battle armor which infers the 6.5 could not. Can't imagine the US public wanting a less capable round than what soldiers carrying

"I don't see too many folks shooting factory ammo in large quantity anytime soon, however, SIG Sauer will eventually make components and load data available so that handloaders can get in on the action. (Yes, SIG Sauer's hybrid cases for the .277 Fury are reloadable, which can't be said for other competitors in the NGSW bid for the U.S. Army contract.)

Video That May Interest You

00:0007:44

Will there be additional cartridges planned for a "Fury family?" A representative with SIG Sauer told me, "Yes." There is no timeline yet, and that person wouldn't say what was next in line. I'll step out on a limb and predict that the next one will be a 6.5mm SIG Fury, and I'll bet that it will be more popular than the .277 SIG Fury proves to be! The .277 SIG Fury arrived to us first because it is simply a commercialization of what SIG Sauer has already been developing for the U.S. Army's NGSW requirements
Sounds like overly optimistic thinking on his part.

Probably heard the same 100+ years ago when 65k pressure rounds started appearing. It will take some time but I bet will become common

Probably heard the same 100+ years ago when 65k pressure rounds started appearing. It will take some time but I bet will become common
There was almost no reloading at all done in those days compared to what we have today.

Generally reloading back then was for people too far from town to buy regular supplies of components and a handful of guys shooting wildcats and orphans who could not get ammo shipped in.

Reloading really didn't take off in a big way until the mid seventies and still factory ammo was cheap, plentiful and almost always available unless again, you were shooting an orphan or wildcat with the exception of the growing numbers of participants in various precision rifle events.

Some inside industry policy and planning folks would tell you we're adding upwards of 200,000 reloaders to our ranks each year now on average thanks largely to all the factory ammo lags and disruptions.

We've got another problem with this cartridge and that will be trying to find smiths that aren't concerned with the 80k pressure and barrel makers willing to provide for same without some strict liability protections.

If something goes bad with that much pressure there could be serious deleterious effects to both gun and shooter.

I'm from Williamsburg county. Nice to see another Lowcountry member on board. A lot has to do with the distance you're hunting and if you plan on hunting in other parts of the country. I've been shooting the 7 mag for decades and it works fine out to 1100 yds on deer. I had no problems with it in Africa on plains game animals either.
hilarious
There's nothing wrong with the 6.5 man bun

There is a potential big market for high performance rounds out of 16" barrels that can be suppressed. You get full ballistic performance and can be suppressed without lugging 30+ inch barreled rig. A 16" 308 or 6.5cm will look pretty poor next to 277 sig (or 6.5, 30 etc). From tactical and hunting standpoint that is win/win. Maybe, target shooting where terminal performance and portability is not an issue not such a big deal. I suspect the market will drive innovationp which will drive this quickly. Nothing moves slow like it used to and suppressor use is sky rocketing

Failure to feed properly out of doube stacked magazines is a problem that's been with the WSM and WSSSM's since they first came onto the mart.

A single feed mag solves most of those problems but I do know of a few guys that had to also have some work done on the feed ramp to get them to load even from the single feed mag's reliably.
So, you're saying the problem is the double stacked magazines not being compatible, not the WSM cartridge itself, correct? Not trying to be a smart ***, but I think that's important for people to understand when making a decision about the WSM's.

So, you're saying the problem is the double stacked magazines not being compatible, not the WSM cartridge itself, correct? Not trying to be a smart ***, but I think that's important for people to understand when making a decision about the WSM's.
The rebated rim of the WSM cases make in-line feed magazines work better with them. They can work in alternating stacked magazines but it's not the best solution. I had a Kimber 8400 Montana that had an alternating mag and it fed fine, it had other problems that were fixed when I replaced the Kimber barrel. ;-)

I'm saying that was part of the issue which many or most have since resolved by adding a Single Stack box or even DBM along with of course a little work needing done on many feed ramps.

That issue was what shot my interest in buying a 300 or 325wsm which I had been seriously considering.

I'm saying that was part of the issue which many or most have since resolved by adding a Single Stack box or even DBM along with of course a little work needing done on many feed ramps.

That issue was what shot my interest in buying a 300 or 325wsm which I had been seriously considering.
Single stack or DBM eliminates the issue. This is the same reason MOST 6.5PRC/SAUMS are built with single stack or DBM/M5 mags
And again that didn't solve the problem in all instances, some needed additional work on the feed ramp.