6.8 Western or 300WSM

I'm saying that was part of the issue which many or most have since resolved by adding a Single Stack box or even DBM along with of course a little work needing done on many feed ramps.

That issue was what shot my interest in buying a 300 or 325wsm which I had been seriously considering.

And again that didn't solve the problem in all instances, some needed additional work on the feed ramp.

All of the newer actions are adopted to handle these WSM/SAUM/PRC cartridges.

I would certainly hope so by now 22 years down the road since it first hit the ground running.
I wonder if Winchester Model 70's ever had those problems, because I bought mine back then when they first hit the market and it functions flawlessly, so you know I want to say "just buy a winchester model 70" problem solved, but i would honestly just be guessing. But I'm a winchester guy, go figure.

I wonder if Winchester Model 70's ever had those problems, because I bought mine back then when they first hit the market and it functions flawlessly, so you know I want to say "just buy a winchester model 70" problem solved, but i would honestly just be guessing. But I'm a winchester guy, go figure.
I became a Model 70 guy after 3 consecutive really serious problems with Remington 700's. One of those rifles made five trips back and forth to Remington over a 3 year span and never did get fixed.

In desperation I took it to a very well reputed guy who was a part time gunsmith and full time structural engineer for NASA in Houston.

A week later he called and gave me a list of what all was wrong with it and told me basically it needed to be melted down and replaced because I could spend three times what it was worth trying to fix it and probably still have a mess on my hands.

A week later I bought my first Model 70 CRF in 7mm RM. I haven't bought a new Remington since and that was circa 1994.

I've never had a problem with any of the Model 70's I've bought since and that's quite a few of them.

I'm only half joking when someone crows about all the aftermarket parts available to upgrade the model 700 there are on the market when I reply, "That's because there's just so much to improve on". 👍

I see tons of 9mm, 308 ammo on shelves. Guess nobody is buying that either. I think the simple answer is winchester is makkng it to promote their new round and making sure it is available. At my local cabelas it goes on the shelf, then away, then stocked back up. If it stops showing back up regularly I may buy some extra so been paying attention. In any case, It would be smart for Winchester to make it available

I've been shooting 6.8 western this past season and taken both cow elk and a mature mule deer buck; ~200yrds with 175gr sierra tipped gamekings. I've got a Browning X-Bolt MTN Pro Tungsten. Here's my take on the 6.8 Western:

Pros:
  • Easy to shoot, light recoil. I shot 20+ rounds in a session in a tee shirt no problem.
  • Tack driver out to 300. I haven't had enough time behind it to really shoot it past 300yrds, so can't speak to the downrange accuracy beyond 300.
  • It's a do it all caliber, I'm not afraid to shoot a pronghorn or an elk with it. I wouldn't try a moose though.
  • Factory ammo hasn't been too hard to find, likely because the limited number of folks shooting the caliber.
Cons:
  • Very limited selection of factory ammo types. 1 Browning ammo and 2 types of Winchester that I've come across. I'd expect it to become harder to find if retailers can't sell the ammo off the shelves.
  • Haven't found any brass and bullets choices are few.
  • Reloading data is limited as well.
I'd pick the 6.8 over the 300WSM if there was better choices on ammo, however, that's not the case. Unless it gains some traction in the industry, I'd go with 300.

Hey Fellas I am new to the site and I am looking for some suggestions. I am 52 years old and have been hunting and shooting all of my life. I live in the Lowcountry of South Carolina and I own and operate a sporting clay range and I have a private rifle range also.
I am thinking about buying a new rifle and I really like the way the 6.8 western looks on paper but not really sure its going to be around long enough to prove itself unless some other companies start making ammo for it (I'm not a reloader). So my other thought was 300WSM. I know one is a 30Cal and the other is a .270 so there is that. I don't want a 270WSM because I can't go past 150gr. Thoughts?
The .277 is an under dog caliber for a LR round. Berger started making .277 bullets and it still never really took hold in the shooting world. The 270 with 130-140 grain bullets has killed mountains of animals. Some have ventured into the fast twist barrel world with the Berger 170 and have been very pleased. The 6.8 Western is getting popularity simply because people can buy it off the shelf and not build it. Factory ammo is available and many articles have info on the cartridge. Newer heavy bullets are out for the .277 so I suspect it'll catch on much better at this point. The 270WSM is a great option with 3-4 heavy high BC bullets on the market today. It's a matter of preference basically. For your needs, both will work. The 300 wont be as flat but will offer more recoil using heavier bullets. More energy at longer ranges with heavier 215-230 grain bullets would be the only advantage. The 270 would do all you need to 800 yards using heavier for caliber bullets. The 130-140 grain bullets have killed a few deer for me out to 550 in a .270 Win. The WSM is a better performer and the 160-170 grain bullets will certainly help.

Why I'm impressed with the 6.8W:
- it's very similar to Sherman's improvements… in a factory offering
- it doesn't have a rebated rim
- it's got relatively less taper
- it's got a decently-long-enough neck
- it'll seat all .277 bullets, including the heavy-for-caliber, long, high-BC ones
- it's got enough energy, but not too much recoil
- those long bullets have great SD
- for my purposes (game less than brown bears) out to moderate ranges, it's pretty ideal

As others have said before: it's a WSM, improved.

Note bene: that's not meant to imply that it's better or worse than 7SAUM, 270WSM, or ___ cartridge. Conveniently, life isn't really a contest.

Last edited:
I am thinking about buying a new rifle and I really like the way the 6.8 western looks on paper but not really sure its going to be around long enough to prove itself unless some other companies start making ammo for it (I'm not a reloader). So my other thought was 300WSM. I know one is a 30Cal and the other is a .270 so there is that. I don't want a 270WSM because I can't go past 150gr. Thoughts?
I am a big fan of the .30 cal; I would take the .300 WSM over 6.8 Western. A factory .270 WSM ammo loaded with a 150 Berger VLD from HSM (3024 FPS/3047 FT-LBS) is no slouch - at my altitude (3300'), zeroed at 200Y, it's an 800Y (1877 FPS/1173 FT-LBS) deer rifle.

Last edited: