6.8 Western or 300WSM

So if I wanted to build a 6.8 what 700 action and bolt face should I use?
The SAAMI spec shows a max of 2.955 so a short action with a modified BDL box will be required or a longish detachable. The bolt face is standard mag size like the WSM. If you use a long action you might have less magazine issues. It has a rebated rim so a center feed mag will feed better, but an alternating one would work. A long action will cause you less magazine headaches.

Hey Fellas I am new to the site and I am looking for some suggestions. I am 52 years old and have been hunting and shooting all of my life. I live in the Lowcountry of South Carolina and I own and operate a sporting clay range and I have a private rifle range also.
I am thinking about buying a new rifle and I really like the way the 6.8 western looks on paper but not really sure its going to be around long enough to prove itself unless some other companies start making ammo for it (I'm not a reloader). So my other thought was 300WSM. I know one is a 30Cal and the other is a .270 so there is that. I don't want a 270WSM because I can't go past 150gr. Thoughts?
Have you considered the 6.5 PRC? It have become widely accepted and is great for medium ( and in some cases) large game. Many options. Why the limitations on the 150 gr.

Hey Fellas I am new to the site and I am looking for some suggestions. I am 52 years old and have been hunting and shooting all of my life. I live in the Lowcountry of South Carolina and I own and operate a sporting clay range and I have a private rifle range also.
I am thinking about buying a new rifle and I really like the way the 6.8 western looks on paper but not really sure its going to be around long enough to prove itself unless some other companies start making ammo for it (I'm not a reloader). So my other thought was 300WSM. I know one is a 30Cal and the other is a .270 so there is that. I don't want a 270WSM because I can't go past 150gr. Thoughts?
You're going to get a phone book's worth of responses on this one.
I think the .277 caliber bullet is extremely efficient in terms of average coefficients. After seeing all the testing the military is doing the last few years with .277 caliber bullets I am really impressed. The only reason I would choose the 300 is if I needed kill very large game at extreme ranges.

Just a suggestion. What is the smallest caliber you can use on the animals you hunt? I would start there. Next I would go to the store and make a list of the ammo you are looking into using and see how available it is in your area. If you don't reload this will be a huge factor. You don't want to buy the latest and greatest then be left out in the cold because your ammo is never available. Talk about ruining hunting season.

My vote: 6.8W. I like the looks of the external ballistics (wind drift), COAL and sectional density.

I almost view it as a 270 WSM improved.

I'm praying it's around long enough for it to stay. If I could buy enough ammo for my hunting purposes…

2ten:
In these times of intermittent brass availability, expecially for the short mags and newer exotics, the old classics still work as well as they did back when. A 270 wincester is hard to beat and ammo is readily available If you are going to hunt elk, you can go with a 30 magnum but the whomp and stomp is not that easy to get good with. Especially in these times where primers and powder are harded to come by. My experience has me back to the old standbys. I shoot a 270 at deer and antelope and a .30-06 at big bucks and elk.

I saw no statement of purpose for the proposed purchase. What do you intend to do with this rifle? I echo the thoughts of others here. Both calibers have followings but then so did the WSSM and SAUM's. RIP to both families of short lived cartridges. This is particularly worthy of note as you are not a handloader. So, what do you wish to use the new rifle for?

My vote: 6.8W. I like the looks of the external ballistics (wind drift), COAL and sectional density.

I almost view it as a 270 WSM improved.

I'm praying it's around long enough for it to stay. If I could buy enough ammo for my hunting purposes…
The new exotic cartridges give marginal gains over the old classics at higher component costs and limited availability, IMHO.

The 300WSM is a great cartridge. Don't get a Browning. Their magazine box is very short. Love mine.