6.8 Western /7PRC case questions

I talked with my gunsmith yesterday, when I dropped off a couple of rifles needing stock work. He hunts most of his big game with his Pre-64 .270 Win. He's rebarreled that rifle with a Pac-Nor 1:8 and throated it for the 175 Sierra TGK, and said he's getting 2750 fps from that rifle and bullet combo.

He also said that Winchester needs to market the 6.8 Western better. He feels Winchester is dropping the ball and missing getting some market share away from Hornady. He has been building a lot of them, and he feels it's better than the 6.5 PRC in a lot of ways. He said the 6.8 has impressed him in barrels as short as 18" for the guys using suppressors on their hunting rifles.

I haven't purchased it yet.
Buy a tikka! Going from short to long action is as simple as a magazine change and driving out 1 roll pin and swapping out a $30 bolt stop. Plus the tolerances from the factory negate the need to have the rifle blueprinted. And factory triggers are usually excellent.

Nothing wrong with a rem700 action but they are rough in the dimensions department. And factory triggers are hot garbage 97% of the time.

The plus side on a rem700 is aftermarket support on things such as bottom metal and stocks.

I talked with my gunsmith yesterday, when I dropped off a couple of rifles needing stock work. He hunts most of his big game with his Pre-64 .270 Win. He's rebarreled that rifle with a Pac-Nor 1:8 and throated it for the 175 Sierra TGK, and said he's getting 2750 fps from that rifle and bullet combo.

He also said that Winchester needs to market the 6.8 Western better. He feels Winchester is dropping the ball and missing getting some market share away from Hornady. He has been building a lot of them, and he feels it's better than the 6.5 PRC in a lot of ways. He said the 6.8 has impressed him in barrels as short as 18" for the guys using suppressors on their hunting rifles.
The 6.8 western should be better than the 6.5prc if for no other reason than case capacity being larger in the 6.8

I'd still pick a 6.5prc over a 6.8 western because of brass,bullets and loaded ammo selection

The 6.8 western should be better than the 6.5prc if for no other reason than case capacity being larger in the 6.8

I'd still pick a 6.5prc over a 6.8 western because of brass,bullets and loaded ammo selection
It was just his opinion, he likes the average 30 grains of heavier bullet delivered with close to the same trajectory and drift as 145 grain 6.5 bullet. I can see his point, and can see why others go with the 7 or 6.5 PRC.

Useable case capacity is within what, 6 grains on average? I don't own either cartridge to compare. I'm pretty sure, I admitted brass and bullet selection was better for the 7 PRC in an earlier post. Same goes for the 6.5 PRC, there's no argument from me on that one.

I don't get why anyone would choose .277 anything over .264 or .284 based on component availability alone.
There are enough good bullets to make the .277 caliber a viable LRH rifle choice. Probably more than most of us would try before settling on one we'll use for most things. It's issue really is the brass, you'll have to pay more attention to prepping it and sorting.

Then there is the fact some people just like something a bit different.

6.8 western would make a great 257 variant--I have been wanting a Weatern in a seekins element, but they don't make a LH version--so I guess I'll have to wait. Hope you find your perfect rifle.

I went 6.8 Western, but I've shot a buddy's 7mm PRC. His PRC is a Savage with a 22" barrel and I want impressed. I'd love to have a PRC, but it will have a 24" barrel when I do get one. I wish ADG would hurry up with their 6.8 Western brass.
ADG plans to have 6.8W available very soon.

So glad to see what a useless cartridge the 6.8W is, leaves more components for those of us who've made the "mistake" of owning one.😉

Looking into doing a budget build in 6.8 western or 7PRC. Not planning on hunting with it . Just something to shoot at longer ranges.
It would be off a Remington 700 donor.
Is the case on the 6.8 western considered a standard case in short action or is a magnum short action? I'm assuming the 7PRC would be the magnum L/A case.
Why not hunt with your 7PRC? IMO, the older tech has zero advantage over the newer designed cartridges/bullets.

I'm puzzled by the lack of support here for the 6.8W. I believe the cartridge is more capable than many of us are at long range hunting, and very capable for all huntable game in the lower 48.

As far as bullet selection, there are plenty enough for me and more all the time.

It was just his opinion, he likes the average 30 grains of heavier bullet delivered with close to the same trajectory and drift as 145 grain 6.5 bullet. I can see his point, and can see why others go with the 7 or 6.5 PRC.

Useable case capacity is within what, 6 grains on average? I don't own either cartridge to compare. I'm pretty sure, I admitted brass and bullet selection was better for the 7 PRC in an earlier post. Same goes for the 6.5 PRC, there's no argument from me on that one.

There are enough good bullets to make the .277 caliber a viable LRH rifle choice. Probably more than most of us would try before settling on one we'll use for most things. It's issue really is the brass, you'll have to pay more attention to prepping it and sorting.

Then there is the fact some people just like something a bit different.
Thats why I qualified components alone.

Line up a side x side list of available components for each and it's no comparison. Not to mention factory ammo availability if you need that.

If I weren't so invested in 6.5mm calibers (7 cartridge variants currently) I would switch over to 7mm and never look back. 7mm seems in my mind to be the sweet spot for long range shooting/hunting.

When the 6.8 came out there was ammo every where and lots of it, but no rifles available. I thought about buying 500 rounds and having my smith build a 6.8. I decided to go with the 7mm PRC. the main reason was the fact that most of the factory 6.8 ammo was nickel plated brass.

If it just for long range target stuff why not a 7 SAUM w/180's or 7 PRCW ? It all the rage w/ the F class group

Both of those are reload only but if your playing at LR you will be there anyways

Why bring up our pet cartridge into this discussion? Here, again, is the original post…

Summa724

Looking into doing a budget build in 6.8 western or 7PRC. Not planning on hunting with it . Just something to shoot at longer ranges.
It would be off a Remington 700 donor.
Is the case on the 6.8 western considered a standard case in short action or is a magnum short action? I'm assuming the 7PRC would be the magnum L/A case.

I bought a Winchester xpr in 6.8 western 500 ish rounds and 500 ish new Winchester brass love the rifle!! It's a hammer and extremely accurate, mabye a bit heavy , my wife lets me carry it for her and I get to shoot it on occasion. She has now adopted it