6.8 Western /7PRC case questions

To answer your question both are .532" bolt face.

Both cartridges need to be in a medium length action at least or long action preferably.

The only thing that makes the 6.8 western even remotely viable or "cool" for anything other than hunting is 3 bullets. One from Berger that's rarely in stock and weights 170gr. And one from Sierra thats 175gr. And a 150gr offering from badlands bullets that's probably the most interesting of the 3. Also fast twist .277cal barrels are not very plentiful. 6.8 western is essentially a 270wsm with a faster twist barrel in Saami dress.

Go with a 7prc or 7 sherman short or 7 sherman max or 7 sherman mega or 7wsm or 7saum or 7rum or 7stw or 28nosler or 284win or 280ai or 7-08 or 7saw or etc.........long before you mess with a 6.8 western just for punching plates at distance! 7mm has 30x the bullet selection and barrel selection. A 180gr 284cal berger at 2875fps has won a crap ton of 1000yd matches for a reason. Also the 190-195gr bullets in 7mm have a BC that rivals things in 338lapua class bullet territory.

What cartridge was your rem700 action originally chambered for?
Where have you seen a 7PRC in a medium length (short) action?

Looking into doing a budget build in 6.8 western or 7PRC. Not planning on hunting with it . Just something to shoot at longer ranges.
It would be off a Remington 700 donor.
Is the case on the 6.8 western considered a standard case in short action or is a magnum short action? I'm assuming the 7PRC would be the magnum L/A case.
If you are a reloader, skip both and do 7SAUM...

Where have you seen a 7PRC in a medium length (short) action?
Buy building one on a XM length action. I know a few guys that have them and run everything but the 190-195gr class bullets. I don't think there are any "factory" medium length rifles being produced. Tikka could kinda be called a XL-M with a long action bolt stop.....kinda.

If you are a reloader, skip both and do 7SAUM...
Love the saum stuff! I love the Sherman "saum" stuff even more! But even a saum needs a long action preferably to run the very heavy 7mm bullets without eating up case capacity.

7prc will be faster and brass is easier to find. Also factory or semi-custom rifle manufacturers are likely to have 7prc offerings on the shelf.

I have no dog in this fight because if I was doing a 7mm it would likely be a 28 sherman magnum. Or if I wanted to do something off a 7prc case it would be necked down to 257cal.

There is a lot of logic in picking something more popular like the 7 prc. Mainly brass availability and factory ammo. As someone who owns a 350 rem mag, 270wsm and 280AI finding brass can be a challenge. If you are not a reloader it's a no brainer. Plus the 180 gr eldm and berger are fine target bullets.

I went 6.8 Western, but I've shot a buddy's 7mm PRC. His PRC is a Savage with a 22" barrel and I want impressed. I'd love to have a PRC, but it will have a 24" barrel when I do get one. I wish ADG would hurry up with their 6.8 Western brass.

For strictly target shooting, get a 7PRC due to more bullet options. For hunting, choose whatever you want and you won't be disappointed. I have a 6.8 Western and think it's a better design due to efficiency and shorter OAL, but it's splitting hairs.

Settled on the 7PRC .
Anyone have experience with the Remington LR or the CVA Cascade LRH?
Possibly considering one of those instead of a build?

A buddy of mine has the CVA Cascade and loves ,I shot it and is a great rifle. I have a savage with a carbon fiber barrel by Oregon Mountain and a pure precision carbon stock waiting on the new trigger, it's my present favorite. Check out the ruger go wild camo 7 prc as well , I've got one and is excellent for the $

Ruger is making the American 2 in 7prc. Those guns shoot for the money. They have one in 20" for suppressor use that has my name on it. I just can't find one yet.