6.5x284 close range shot

Nuclear Worker

This buck was shot at 20 yards. With my 6.5x284 shooting a 143 ELDX. WAs quartering towards me I was 20' in the tree. The carcass picture was the entrance hole. Went through caught back edge of opposite shoulder blade turned and hit rib and exited. Just a bullet size hole in off side hide to show where it exited. Dropped and never twitched. Also destroyed the lungs. That's at 2975 MV .

Attachments

• E565E561-C157-4620-BD27-5BDBA4C4E266.jpeg
    E565E561-C157-4620-BD27-5BDBA4C4E266.jpeg
    150.6 KB · Views: 981
  • 21CA8005-4C97-43BB-A154-D631865FD40C.jpeg
    21CA8005-4C97-43BB-A154-D631865FD40C.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 979
This buck was shot at 20 yards. With my 6.5x284 shooting a 143 ELDX. WAs quartering towards me I was 20' in the tree. The carcass picture was the entrance hole. Went through caught back edge of opposite shoulder blade turned and hit rib and exited. Just a bullet size hole in off side hide to show where it exited. Dropped and never twitched. Also destroyed the lungs. That's at 2975 MV .
Fast kill for sure!

You are wrong.,Deer was coming at me and shot him on the left side as the picture shows.
That's why I posted the picture seems unusual for the holes to be opposite? Was wondering if because of the high velocity? The inside was mush but found no bullet fragments? Anyone else ever have this happen?

I have seen this before shooting Nosler Accubonds. The eldx construction is somewhat similar. The front part of that bullet is relatively soft And the jacket thinly tapered. When it made initial contact here it caught enough resistance to actually explode (disrupt) the front part of the bullet. Hence the large entry wound.
Next, what's left of the front jacket will fold pretty sharply back around the intact rear portion. This front jacket will usually just be jacket as the lead has separated and driven on forwards. Wreaking havoc on the vitals. The rear portion with the jacket folded back around it is more cylindrical than mushroom shape and narrower than the classic mushroom that we all think of. That rear portion tends to penetrate quite deeply and will often exit. But not in the dramatic fashion that we would think it would. It'll leave a hole anywhere from just a shade over caliber size to around a golfball size depending on what it contacts as it exits.
I have actually seen this happen fairly often and it will tend to limit the blood trail to an extent. But I shoulder shoot unless something occurs that prevents it so I really don't worry much about light blood trails.

That's why I posted the picture seems unusual for the holes to be opposite? Was wondering if because of the high velocity? The inside was mush but found no bullet fragments? Anyone else ever have this happen?
Yes, but with Hornady A-Max, 308-168gr. Velocity was lower, but still well above the desired 2000 fps for an A-Max impact. The jacket came out a second hole on the entrance side. It was just sitting right there sticking out of the skin. I posted pics and link to a video, back then (10-15 years ago). Exit side was just a bullets sized hole in the skin. Bullet had struck the shoulder. She dropped where she should. Got up a couple seconds later, and ran a couple yards and piled up. That was a doe, the buck I shot 45 seconds before, just dropped where he stood, and never flinched. Bullets did what it was supposed to. The reason I shot them with those bullets was that I shot them in my back yard and those were some low loads I had cooked up. Used what I had, and it worked. However I learned a lot from those experiences. I like a traditional soft tip for sub 300 yard work. Leave the ballistic tips for the longer range stuff. However I've been planning to use the 143 ELD-X for my 16" 6.5 Creed hunting loads, in the 2600fps range. From your account, it sounds like it would be perfect for that rifle.

I have seen this before shooting Nosler Accubonds. The eldx construction is somewhat similar. The front part of that bullet is relatively soft And the jacket thinly tapered. When it made initial contact here it caught enough resistance to actually explode (disrupt) the front part of the bullet. Hence the large entry wound.
Next, what's left of the front jacket will fold pretty sharply back around the intact rear portion. This front jacket will usually just be jacket as the lead has separated and driven on forwards. Wreaking havoc on the vitals. The rear portion with the jacket folded back around it is more cylindrical than mushroom shape and narrower than the classic mushroom that we all think of. That rear portion tends to penetrate quite deeply and will often exit. But not in the dramatic fashion that we would think it would. It'll leave a hole anywhere from just a shade over caliber size to around a golfball size depending on what it contacts as it exits.
I have actually seen this happen fairly often and it will tend to limit the blood trail to an extent. But I shoulder shoot unless something occurs that prevents it so I really don't worry much about light blood trails.
Same boat here with the accubonds. Two deer in the same year with same results. Crazy

Just shot a 9 point yesterday at 70yds with my 6.5prc 143gr eldx muzzle velocity 3025 fps. Broadside shot, bullet entered just behind right front shoulder and after splitting the hide with my hunting knife I popped the bullet out from under the hide of the off side shoulder. Sorry I don't have photos of tissue damage my son took the deer and processed it and donated the meat to a needy family. He said there was about a 3 inch hole on the offside shoulder. Deer made it about 5 steps. Here is a couple of photos.

Attachments

• 20221125_174953.jpg
    20221125_174953.jpg
    797.8 KB · Views: 229
  • 20221125_181717.jpg
    20221125_181717.jpg
    685.6 KB · Views: 229
I experienced the same thing only mine was worst, I shot a 3 point buck at 25 yards and he ran to the side of me and I shot him again at 15 yards and was going to shoot him again and I told myself that I hit him twice and I didn't need a 3 round, Bad chose because I trailed him back up the mountain 3/4 of a mile and picked up over a foot of bone and ended up losing blood and sign and I never found him! now are ready for this, I was using a 7mm Rem. The bullets were exploding on impact and not penetrating in. At lease your ELDX made its way in to the vitals before they did the damage. This happened to me 25 years ago and I can't tell you what bullet I was using at the time but after talking to a friend of mine that had a-lot of experience he told me what had happened and why, I switched over to swift A-frame scirocco.
Congrates on getting it done and a nice buck.

I'm using a 6.5 Berger VLD hunting 130 gun 2815 ftps. I shot a 206 lb deer two weeks ago and heart and lungs were just gone turned to jelly. Plus the added benefit of a super accurate round. I won't use anything else. Hand loads in 6.5x47.