6.5 PRC - Make143 ELD-X work

I had a similar problem and I called Hornady spoke to one of the folks there and his reply was to the effect of 'these secant bullets sometimes need to be seated in the lands or jump em a mile'. He suggested I treat my mag length as "jam" and seat .02 -.03 shorter. My group tightened up and I was happy with ½ MOA since I don't harvest beyond 500 yards due to property line constraints and the outfitters leasing all the land around mine.

I am not trying to insult anyone with this tread, I am not looking for ideas, I am looking for help from someone who knows and has experience with my problem.
From my previous tread I am thinking I want to use the 143 ELDX for Elk hunting.
My Christiansen will consistently shoot sub MOA at 500 with 147 ELD-M, I struggle to shoot a
1.5 MOA at 500 when I switch to 143 ELD-X.
At present I have both in factory rounds from Hornady I do reload and I'm accumulating brass so I can try to correct the problem
I cannot seat the bullet any longer than what the factory rounds have without magazine problems
Please help if you can.
Catch me later and I'll fill you in on the 143 verse the 147's do load the PRC's and found a good load for both,

I don't know if this helps?
I used 140 VLD's and H4831sc to fireform Lapua brass for my 6.5prc.
I started load development at 52.5gr and worked up from there.
Good Journey!

I have a few boxes of 143 ELDX that I inherited and a few pounds of H4831SC. Do you have a starting point for powder charge (min-max)? I can't find any load data for H4831SC, but I do see that Hornady list H4831. Are the two powders very similar that I can use the data Hornady has interchangeably for both H4831 and H4831SC?
To answer your question see below the articles. This is where I gathered great field data to build my load using H4831SC. PM if you need additional assistance.

Here's a great the 2 PART article, read both. It discusses H4831SC in detail. Joe

Part1

Reloading for 6.5 PRC

Reloading for 6.5 PRC and Hunting with 6.5 PRC
www.rockymountainhunting.com
Part 2

6.5 PRC Reloading

Reloading 6.5 PRC Part 2

Last edited:
To answer your question see below the articles. This is where I gathered great field data to build my load using H4831SC. PM if you need additional assistance.

Here's a great the 2 PART article, read both. It discusses H4831SC in detail. Joe

Part1

Reloading for 6.5 PRC

Reloading for 6.5 PRC and Hunting with 6.5 PRC
View attachment 590711 www.rockymountainhunting.com
Part 2

6.5 PRC Reloading

Reloading 6.5 PRC Part 2
View attachment 590712 www.rockymountainhunting.com
Thank you. Great read. I'll PM you if I have any questions.

Recent Posts