6.5 PRC issues

I've read every response in this post and understand it's a brand-new rifle with factory ammo. Whew! Got that out of the way.

I will tell you some of my experience with a CA Ridgeline in 6.5 PRC while trying not to trash CA. Many things have already been discussed but IMHO, the first thing you need to do is remove the carbon. Having been the victim to carbon fouling in more than rifle, I can tell you that your high pressure signs can be caused by what your barrel looks like. The carbon that builds up around the neck area won't allow the case neck to expand to release the bullet, causing high pressure. The carbon in the throat area builds up and makes the bore tighter for the bullet to pass through, causing high pressure. Clean those two areas and it "should" shoot better.

You have a borescope so clean it until it is a mirror. I use IOSSO to clean my barrels now and it works well. Some people will say you don't need to use it but until you get that barrel sparkly clean, you won't know what you are working with. Once you have the barrel clean, shoot a couple of rounds to check for pressure and then look at the barrel again to see how much carbon is in it. Using a suppressor causes more carbon deposits in my experience also. Try shooting without it and see what happens. YMMV As far as the borescope, adjust the angled mirror in or out to focus the picture.

Also, after you get the chamber/throat clean, check the chamber with a go/no go gauge. My Ridgeline had 0.011 headspace and it drove me nuts until I figured it out. I would get the double plunger marks on some cases. I also had the tight chamber that has plagued many factory PRCs and would get clickers on some of my handloads.

Whatever you do with this rifle, DO NOT tell CA that you have used a suppressor or handloaded ammo. DO NOT modify or change the rifle in any way. You have only used factory ammo in it, right? ;) They will not warranty the rifle otherwise. Ask me how I know.

Good luck and keep us informed on your progress. Just for the record, my Ridgeline shoots fantastic now with a McMillan Game Hunter stock and a CarbonSix barrel! 😂

I've read every response in this post and understand it's a brand-new rifle with factory ammo. Whew! Got that out of the way.

I will tell you some of my experience with a CA Ridgeline in 6.5 PRC while trying not to trash CA. Many things have already been discussed but IMHO, the first thing you need to do is remove the carbon. Having been the victim to carbon fouling in more than rifle, I can tell you that your high pressure signs can be caused by what your barrel looks like. The carbon that builds up around the neck area won't allow the case neck to expand to release the bullet, causing high pressure. The carbon in the throat area builds up and makes the bore tighter for the bullet to pass through, causing high pressure. Clean those two areas and it "should" shoot better.

You have a borescope so clean it until it is a mirror. I use IOSSO to clean my barrels now and it works well. Some people will say you don't need to use it but until you get that barrel sparkly clean, you won't know what you are working with. Once you have the barrel clean, shoot a couple of rounds to check for pressure and then look at the barrel again to see how much carbon is in it. Using a suppressor causes more carbon deposits in my experience also. Try shooting without it and see what happens. YMMV As far as the borescope, adjust the angled mirror in or out to focus the picture.

Also, after you get the chamber/throat clean, check the chamber with a go/no go gauge. My Ridgeline had 0.011 headspace and it drove me nuts until I figured it out. I would get the double plunger marks on some cases. I also had the tight chamber that has plagued many factory PRCs and would get clickers on some of my handloads.

Whatever you do with this rifle, DO NOT tell CA that you have used a suppressor or handloaded ammo. DO NOT modify or change the rifle in any way. You have only used factory ammo in it, right? ;) They will not warranty the rifle otherwise. Ask me how I know.

Good luck and keep us informed on your progress. Just for the record, my Ridgeline shoots fantastic now with a McMillan Game Hunter stock and a CarbonSix barrel! 😂
Good on you for posting your experience and the warnings about CA. Having to re-barrel and restock a $3,000 rifle doesn't really cut it in my books. Might as well have bought a quality action and built from scratch but you already know that, you were just salvaging what you could. Between my experience with multiple Bergara that I have bedded and otherwise fixed and what I have been reading here and on other threads about CA, I certainly have no desire to buy either for my own use.

New to this form and first time posting. Been around hunting and shooting all my life but never been much in to reloading. I have started messing around a bit with it and probably know just enough to get me in to trouble. My issue is I picked up a new rifle in 6.5 PRC. Did the barrel brake in and all that and the rifle shoots really well. But after I was done with the brake in and about 30 rounds without cleaning the barrel I started to get pressure signs and heavy bolt lift. Troubleshot the issue a bit and found that I was getting a lot of build up where the neck ends and the freebore begins. Don't know if that is the right terminology. Anyways I can load a live round and eject it and the bullet has scratches all the way around I'll put in picture. Any help or info would be great. I have never had the happen to me before. Thanks
Oh and shooting factory 143 ELD-X nothing fancy
I've read and looked at the pictures you've posted there is definitely something wrong with this rifle if this is all on the up and up I'm not calling you out on anything but this should "NOT" be fired again till it's been sent back and fixed with proof that they fixed it and compensate should be made for the price of your ammo to

My limited knowledge, is that the subject rifle has dual ejectors & a M16 type extractor. Never handled one or shot one. Should I have the OP's problem I would send the whole works, as is, no cleaning, back to CArms, including some fired brass & bore/chamber photos. Info should include ammo lot number. I would also contact Hornady & tell them about the problems. There should be enough fired brass to provide all with a sample(s). Any modifications such as adding a brake or using handloads might void a warranty.

This is a new rifle and heavy black crud & copper fouling deposits interfering with extraction should not have occurred with the limited amount of factory ammo fired. Stuff happens, my guess is that the leade has rough tool marks that rapidly accumulated hard black crud & copper fouling. Photos of fired brass show body scuff marks, small dents around what could be unburned ball powder grains, and black deposits. This would indicate powder gasses being blown back from leade caused by hard & heavy black crud deposits deposited on leade tool marks that prevented adequate neck expansion. A similar situation would occur if brass was too long - no trimming or short chamber - inadequate neck expansion. Trying to slip fit a bullet into a fired brass neck might indicate the amount of neck expansion - an easy slip fit should occur.

CArms and every gunsmith & barrel maker are familiar with "carbon rings" problems.

Last edited:
Thank you all for your information. I have cleaned it since the pictures but now I know not clean enough. Not really sure what I'm going to do yet. I might try to get it cleaned out and try it again. I do agree a rifle like this shouldn't have this kind of issue right off the bat but I can blame a little on myself for not cleaning it like I should. It might be a bit before I get some more rounds through it since it's hard to get away. And than again I might just send it back. Either way I go I'll post what I come up with.

Thank you all for your information. I have cleaned it since the pictures but now I know not clean enough. Not really sure what I'm going to do yet. I might try to get it cleaned out and try it again. I do agree a rifle like this shouldn't have this kind of issue right off the bat but I can blame a little on myself for not cleaning it like I should. It might be a bit before I get some more rounds through it since it's hard to get away. And then again I might just send it back. Either way I go I'll post what I come up with.
30 rounds in not enough to cause the kinds of issues you are seeing… I would NOT shoot this anymore, this is going to get you hurt.

The very very 1st thing you need to do is call Christensen. Tell them what's going on. I'd use iosso and bore tech and clean that barrel till its a mirror finish but I wouldn't do that yet being it's a factory rifle. You don't wanna give them any reason to wiggle out of helping you although I don't think they will do that. Gotta give them a chance to make it right. Btw I've got a mesa fft and absolutely love that rifle! I'm 2/2 out of Christensens being good. I better not buy any more since I've got the only two good ones out of all the guys on the internet 😂. Please contact them and let us know what happens?

New to this form and first time posting. Been around hunting and shooting all my life but never been much in to reloading. I have started messing around a bit with it and probably know just enough to get me in to trouble. My issue is I picked up a new rifle in 6.5 PRC. Did the barrel brake in and all that and the rifle shoots really well. But after I was done with the brake in and about 30 rounds without cleaning the barrel I started to get pressure signs and heavy bolt lift. Troubleshot the issue a bit and found that I was getting a lot of build up where the neck ends and the freebore begins. Don't know if that is the right terminology. Anyways I can load a live round and eject it and the bullet has scratches all the way around I'll put in picture. Any help or info would be great. I have never had the happen to me before. Thanks
Oh and shooting factory 143 ELD-X nothing fancy
I had a very similar problem with my 308 Win when I tried using CFE223 powder. Agree you are getting carbon buildup in throat in the form of a ring causing the scratches. You have to do 2 things. First is to get rid of the ring. I recommend Bore Tech carbon remover Saturate area with soaked patches, let sit in barrel for 2-3 hrs then clean with a nilon or brass brush and repeat until patches come out clean. The carbon cleaner also will get rid of some copper. Then follow up with Bore Tech copper remover using the same method, but skip the brass brush step. That was only to help mechanically abrade the carbon ring. Make a dummy round and see if chambers easily. If it does then the ammo you are using has got dirty powder. Only recourse in the long run is to use cleaner burning powder. What powders do you have to reload with? In the meantime clean the carbon out after every 20 shots or so. The copper cleaning is less important.

Recent Posts