6.5 PRC issues

I had a very similar problem with my 308 Win when I tried using CFE223 powder.

Only recourse in the long run is to use cleaner burning powder.
I had bowed out of this thread bc the answer is pretty dang clear to me. I agree that the powder makes a huge difference. My carbon rings show up with IMR 4451 quicker than they do with IMR 4350 and a H4350 takes the longest to show up. Not sure what flavor they're using in the hornady factory PRC stuff, but 90 rounds and a carbon ring like that is no surprise to me

I had bowed out of this thread bc the answer is pretty dang clear to me. I agree that the powder makes a huge difference. My carbon rings show up with IMR 4451 quicker than they do with IMR 4350 and a H4350 takes the longest to show up. Not sure what flavor they're using in the hornady factory PRC stuff, but 90 rounds and a carbon ring like that is no surprise to me
I agree with you. It's funny they didn't notice this problem in their testing. It sure showed up quick for bebb25. Good that you point out the H4350 is the cleanest burning. I'll have to keep that in mind.

I agree with you. It's funny they didn't notice this problem in their testing. It sure showed up quick for bebb25. Good that you point out the H4350 is the cleanest burning. I'll have to keep that in mind.
The only cartridges I load for run in the 4350 burn range. So I have a small sampling of powers

New to this form and first time posting. Been around hunting and shooting all my life but never been much in to reloading. I have started messing around a bit with it and probably know just enough to get me in to trouble. My issue is I picked up a new rifle in 6.5 PRC. Did the barrel brake in and all that and the rifle shoots really well. But after I was done with the brake in and about 30 rounds without cleaning the barrel I started to get pressure signs and heavy bolt lift. Troubleshot the issue a bit and found that I was getting a lot of build up where the neck ends and the freebore begins. Don't know if that is the right terminology. Anyways I can load a live round and eject it and the bullet has scratches all the way around I'll put in picture. Any help or info would be great. I have never had the happen to me before. Thanks
Oh and shooting factory 143 ELD-X nothing fancy
What are those marks on the bullet? From chambering or pulling it?

Yes it shoots very well and I'll try to get a picture of the bolt face this evening
Excellent. With the rifle shooting well initially and the bullet not getting scratched up with easy chambering and un-chambering, indicate that the clearances in the clean chamber between the case neck, bullet and the chamber neck portion and throat were sufficient but close. That is why the gun shot well initially, and if cleaned well of carbon will shoot well again. This clearly indicates that carbon buildup in those tight spaces eventually will cause problems of the type you have seen. The rifle likely shoots well because of those tight clearances, keeping the loaded round aligned better with the rifling. Again the solution is a cleaner burning powder, if not that, then more frequent removal of carbon build up, or rechambering with a chamber reamer that is slightly wider in those areas to accommodate more carbon build up before it starts to affect the chambering of the loaded round. One suggestion made was to use calipers to measure the neck diameter in an unfired round and a fired unsized case to see the difference between the two measurements. This gives an idea of the clearance at the neck area.

Some of those cases look like they have been fired twice? You are WAY over pressure those ejector marks are extreme! Surprised you did not blow primers or worse! Glad you did not get hurt. Absolutely send that rifle back with some of the spent cases and or pictures and detailed info.

My 2 cents. Good luck.

PH

Chambering one time
If that's with factory ammo, then your rifle has a short throat or almost none. I have a 243win that does the same thing. My uni-throater will fix it. You should be able to drop a cartridge in with the barrel facing down, then turn it facing up and the cartridge should fall out. Unless it has a match chamber with a tighter neck.

Attachments

• 8A9F8707-0174-4D75-97B6-971B4AD887AE.png
    8A9F8707-0174-4D75-97B6-971B4AD887AE.png
    780.8 KB · Views: 123
Some of those cases look like they have been fired twice? You are WAY over pressure those ejector marks are extreme! Surprised you did not blow primers or worse! Glad you did not get hurt. Absolutely send that rifle back with some of the spent cases and or pictures and detailed info.

My 2 cents. Good luck.

PH
The bolt face has two ejector plungers

Well that clearly explains the ejector marks on your brass.👍. Not sure what powder Hornady used for their loaded ammo, but it burns dirty. Next step is to thoroughly clean the carbon from the barrel as I outlined and then bore scope again in the clean state to see what the neck looks like

Recent Posts