6.5 prc elk bullets

So was I being a certified Barnes fan boy, was in a position to watch 200+ elk get killed a year for a few years and look at a LOT of wound channels. In Mt, in my area at the time most guys could take two elk so just me and a couple buddies and family and it was not an issue to see another 15-20 elk killed many of which I load for and I cut, and prior to that I ran a wild game processing facility in Bozeman Mt, which was in the heart of some of the biggest late season elk hunts so I've probably cut more elk than a lot on this forum have seen.
There is a reason a hard mono and a bonded bullet do not penetrate at as high a rate some think they do!
As my friend @dogz might say, that's an ark full!

Funny how monos now magically pencil through AND blow up on shoulders.
They do not blow up, no where have I ever said a Barnes will blow up, not penetrating and blowing up are not the same thing! Monos are not all created equal either, a Cutting Edge or Hammer will out penetrate a Barnes for the reason the Barnes will stop or deflect!!

Whats interesting to me in this thread is all the poo-poo for the 6.5 PRC on elk, but in general most folks say a .270 is fine for elk. Ton's of info on the best .270 rounds to use, up to 150 grainers for elk without batting a eye. Now you got a 6.5PRC begging to shoot 156 Bergers and its down checked? -WW

They do not blow up, no where have I ever said a Barnes will blow up, not penetrating and blowing up are not the same thing! Monos are not all created equal either, a Cutting Edge or Hammer will out penetrate a Barnes for the reason the Barnes will stop or deflect!!
If they don't blow up…. then how does an elk shoulder stop one?

Again…. How can one bullet BOTH pencil through the "soft" stuff…. but not penetrate and elk scapula (or humerus for that matter)?

If they don't blow up…. then how does an elk shoulder stop one?

Again…. How can one bullet BOTH pencil through the "soft" stuff…. but not penetrate and elk scapula (or humerus for that matter)?
I'll start another thread in Elk hunting tonight, it's quite easy and happens more than most are prepared to admit hence why people get so wound up about it, it's basic physics!!!

Whats interesting to me in this thread is all the poo-poo for the 6.5 PRC on elk, but in general most folks say a .270 is fine for elk. Ton's of info on the best .270 rounds to use, up to 150 grainers for elk without batting a eye. Now you got a 6.5PRC begging to shoot 156 Bergers and its down checked? -WW
I ain't scart ta shoot a elk wit me new fangled PRC !
Not even wuna dem 156 Bergers. Or a 142 LRAB or a 143 ELDX or a 127 LRX. My new fangled CDS turret be set up fer 156 Berger tho.

Long cool all day story I won't get into but I shot a bull at 543 yds. I held on hair at top of shoulder . I knew my drop at 500 was close to 30 in.. I wish a had a VX6 4x24x52 with CDS back then and a lot of other shots up until 2019. Got another for 6.5 PRC Ridgeline. Back to story. I was laying prone with bipod. Ranged him. Was shooting old faithful 180 gr. Barnes TTSX. I hit him and he ran about 15 yds. and turned opposite side . Did everything the same hit him again and he went down. End of an 8 hour hunt to kill him... I got to him and saw the bullet smashed thru his elbow and into his chest busting bone, etc.. on his other side was picture perfect same exact shot. You could of put a rod straight thru him. If I remember correctly one of the shots hit upper part of heart. Maybe both ? We were way back in and had a good hike back up mtn. to horses. Gut him out and propped open chest cavity. Came back next morning with pack horses. I was surprised that a grizzly , wolves or coyotes hadn't fed on him. I'd like to think that the 3 of us peeing around him helped 🤔😆
I think a griz or wolves could care less or even smell over the meat. Why are my stores so dang long ? 😳

I'll start another thread in Elk hunting tonight, it's quite easy and happens more than most are prepared to admit hence why people get so wound up about it, it's basic physics!!!
Have you seen same results on deer ? I know they are smaller boned but just curious ?

No, you can shoot through a deer with almost anything, even the heaviest mule deer has lighter construction than a calf elk.
What I figured. I've rarely found a bullet in a deer unless it's pieces of a Berger bullet. Last Sept. I shot a Ca. buck at around 65 yards with a 124 Hammer out of a 6.5 PRC. Buck was facing me. I forgot to turn My CDS turret back down from 600 yds. I had a shot at him at 598 earlier. What I thought was him... I hit him low in base of neck/spine. Bullet traveled all the way into his hind left ham.

Bingreen I think you are trying too give a honest answer too your experiences . You are right about the Hammers out penetrating a Barnes personally if I where going on a Elk hunt I would pick the best bullet for my chosen caliber and maximum distance I expected too shoot . I also would know exactly where too put that chosen bullet in the elk for the best possible Terminal performance. The Hammer bullet would be my choice but I still would do my homework and make my decisions ,from others hands on experiences . I wouldn't try too make any bullet do more than what it is designed for.

Recent Posts