6 5 prc, 270win, 284win

Hornady doesn't make the Superformance powder.

Hornady brass, in the past, has sucked. It has gotten better. But very inconsistent lot to lot. Key examples:
When the 6.5SAUM 4S came out, Hornady stepped up and made brass, so glad they did, as this is a great round (started by wildcatting the 7SAUM made by Remington) In 3 very distinct lots, with up to 30gr brass weight variations. Not interchangeable with the same load.
I have found big brass weight variations between factory ammo brass and virgin brass for the reloader. Also between ammo type. In 6.5CM and 6CM too.

The ELD-X, ELD-M, old A-Max bullets are good performers. But not too consistent from what I have found. I do love the V-max bullets for coyotes.

The 6.5CM/6CM. When they were introduced, the main reason for success was the availability of a lot of ammo choices. But the cartridge itself is not much different than others. Right between 6.5x47L and .260 Rem. Or 6x47L and .243 Win. All good choices, and nice to have options. Luckily, brass manufacturers like Lapua, Peterson, Alpha are making great brass for the cartridges. I own a 6CM, 25CM, and 6.5CM (older daughter's rifle). So I am being hypocritical here. But if there was no Creed family, I would have a .243AI, .250AI (had one for a long time), 6.5SLR (I own one of these too), or .260 Rem/.260AI (I own one of these too).

6.5PRC, again, thank goodness Lapua and ADG are making good brass for this. The 6.5PRC doesn't do anything a 6.5-.284 or 6.5SAUM won't do. And the huge issue with SAAMI chambers and SAAMI cut dies not sizing correctly is a widely known problem.

.300PRC, still right between .300WM, 30 Nosler, & .300RUM. Same problem with SAAMI chambers and SAAMI dies.

Hornady's marketing team are geniuses. I will definitely give them that.

I guess I just changed my own mind.
I still hate Hornady brass. And still hate the fact that I like the snowflake mainstream millenial Ceeedmoor family. My hair is too short for a man-bun.
Creedmoors are like mopeds and....you know the other part. Fun to ride, but you don't want anyone seeing you do it.
I like the moped comparison, so if a guy hunts off a moped , he'd have a creedmore Riding on a creedmore , and he hopes nobody will see him!

I have a 6.5 PRC that has been a safe queen while finding the components and related loading equipment. It took a month of grinding the internet daily to reach the point of having the resources to put together my first batch of handloads. While waiting on the 6.5 PRC to come together I shot any one of my 270 308 and 30-06 on almost a daily basis.

7mmRM and it ain't even close!
The only thing i like about the 6.5prc is its case and wish it was chambered in a 6mm instead. I wish this was a factory chambering. Dreams

I don't have one (270) but I have watch them in action on deer for a great many years hunting with my cousins, Between all of them took down 170+ deer or more. They hunted mostly with open sights too. Case should be easy to get and if needed 25-06, 7mm, 30-06 case can be converted to 270 or the other way around. I would get now days in a faster twist. Like 7 twist rate or so. The Sierra SPBT 130gr did a great job, and not much in blood shot either. I have seen hits from most angle with the 270. One thing I haven't seen 130gr in action in a long time so I don't know how they hold up today. That was in Mexico North (aka California).

Another .270 vote here. It gets it done without a parade, with bullets and powders you have a chance of finding.
Another .270 vote here. It gets it done without a parade, with bullets and powders you have a chance of finding.
My vote is 7 MM REM Mag- a bolt of lightning on game, just put a good Muzzle Brake on it too. I've used a REM 700 for years- never a failure.
Lots of bullets to choose from, I favor the 140 grain Nosler Partitions loaded with IMR 4350.
Great Sectional Density for less wind drift. Best I've found ! Jerry Gold in Windsor, Colorado

Hi everyone, what will be your caliber if you have to choose one among these: 6.5prc, 270win, 284win, 7mm rem mag and 7mm08.

Got into a talk with friend of mine and want to see what other shooter think.

Shoot will be about 600yrds max, might go longer on Steel but not on game
Assume we are using heavy for cal bullets for top performance in the 400-600 yard range. Note - numbers approximated from IMR data except the 6.5 PRC.

284 WIN – with heavy for cal bullets like 168s and 175s you're in the 24xx fps range

7-08 - with heavy for cal bullets like 168s and 175s you're in the 25xx – 26xx fps range

270 WIN - with heavy for cal bullets like 168s and 175s you're in the 25xx-2800 fps range

6.5 PRC – with heavy for cal bullets like 150 ABLR or 156 EOL you're in the 29xx-30xx fps range
My 6.5 PRC will make 3040fps with the 156 EOL from a 26in tube.

7mm Rem Mag - with heavy for cal bullets like 168s and 175s you're in the 28xx – 29xx fps range

For the most performance in the 400-600 yard range the Rem Mag and PRC will easily have the most performance. If your hunting reality is like most of the US ie. 0 yards to 300 yards, the little 7-08 Rem is hard to beat. Also, if this is your reality then something like a PRC or the Rem Mag is total overkill. At the altitudes I hunt at my 6.5 PRC is still making 1900+ fps and 1300+ ft-lbs of energy with the 156 EOL at 1000 yards.

Shooting steel for fun at a 1000 yards in reasonable wind the 7-08 would work fine.

About the only thing I have left too do on my gun bucket list is too build a fast twist 270 , then I might pick 270 over my 6.5 PRC . I cut my teeth on a 270 but have been around the gun world for a long time ,most that don't handload will never know the magic in a 6.5 cal or 7mm bullet. I have four 270s ,but I prefer 6.5 or 7mm anything.

7-08. The right balance of power, accuracy and recoil. A Tikka T-3 in 7-08 is about perfect but proper bullet expansion as well as shot placement, Heart. is critical regardless of bullet used. I have used 7 MM mag with good results. .270 not accurate enough at that range usually. That is a long shot on deer.