6.5 creedmoor, 7mm/08, 270 winchester compairson.

When I see a well made Video I like to share it with the membership. We can/will still have our opinions, but this is a good comparison in my opinion.

There has been a lot of talk about which cartridge is the best and this video seems to be unbiased so the viewer can make his choice based on a good comparison.

I know, everyone is getting tired of these comparisons, but hear it is.

J E CUSTOM

270 is a great hinting round. Dont think you can lose using all 3. I use 308 ruger american with 130 ttsx going 3050 awesome with short 18 inch barrel

I thought the video was good, most of those cartridge comparisons disgust me because they don't use comparable bullets. For example I saw one comparing long range performance of a 6.5 creedmoor vs a 300 Win mag with a 165gr bullet, who shoots a 165gr out of a 300 for anything? Anyway his velocity was low for the 140gr creedmoor. Boxed ammo lists 2700ish velocity. I got 2550 out of my 20" 6.5 creedmoor with 140hybrids. Out of a 24" it should have at least been 2700. I have never owned a 7-08 because I thought it was under powered, but I might have to take a second look at it. I have a 7wsm and it is a hammer on both ends, I honestly have begun to like lighter recoiling rifles over the big boomers.

Last edited:
I see these type of comparisons all the time and they are usually heavily biased and flawed. And they just get so repetitive. His video is pretty good. I like how he considered 60fps or 25 lbs of energy a wash. It is. But here's a couple important observations.

Whenever someone starts or ends their post with something like "I've been shooting my (insert caliber) for 30 years..." or "No thanks, I'll keep my (insert caliber)" the reader/ poster probably is not objective in their opinion or decision making. Sales of calibers developed from modern design and technology are not aimed at you. No one is going to change your mind. I built my house, not like my grandfather did, but by using the latest materials, technology, and building practices and enjoy the benefits that brings. Everyone is free to make their own decisions.

It's interesting that much of the post video discussion was about MV. Only one poster mentioned the recoil comparison, which was an important aspect of the comparison. It affects most people's ability to shoot accurately and everyone's ability to see their own impacts. Those both matter to me when I hunt. If you are one that believes recoil is not a consideration, then why is 270 the representative LA? Why not the 7RM or 7RUM? See, it gets silly after a bit. But having one cartridge in the mix that has nearly 50% more recoil than another, kind of isn't fair.

Nothing is said about bullet selection or quality factory ammo selection. I think that would not favor the 270 (both) or the 7-08 (factory ammo). That's an important aspect. If you're going to compare performance at 400-600 yards, the difference between ammo that will shoot >1MOA vs 2MOA or worse, becomes a big deal. And not everyone reloads or wants to. Also, several posts mention comparisons of heavy-for-caliber bullets in 270's or 7-08's, as well as 6.5CM. That brings up another missing but important aspect of this comparison, barrel twist. As far as I know, most common, factory rifles in 270 and (I'm less sure about 7-08) are not made with fast twist rates designed for the heavy-for-caliber pills. Nearly every 6.5CM will be a 1:8 twist, designed to shoot the long, heavy, high BC and SD bullets that the video speaks of.

Finally, the video simply stated "Short Action is better than Long action" and gave no explanation. I generally agree, but feel that it is much more subjective and it depends greatly on the rifle's purpose and way it's used. I'm surprised that statement wasn't beat to death in subsequent posts. But if one is going to make such a blanket statement, then why in the heck are you comparing 2 SA's vs a LA? Why didn't he pick a 6.5x284 or 26 Nosler or a 270WSM or...? He failed to state the premise for picking the cartridges he compared. I assume it was limited to "common" calibers. But even that classification is subjective.

I have never owned a 7-08 because I thought it was under powered, but I might have to take a second look at it...

A fun round for sure; generally identical performance to the Creedmoor out to most common hunting distances, with the option to run heavier bullets. I somewhat fear the '08 will fade even more in popularity with the explosion of the 6.5's popularity. I hope I'm wrong...

I am just going to say this: 280 Ackley Improved. Problems great and small solved:cool:

Lol, it just misses the recoil problem. But i won't knock it since I am building a 8 twist 270 ackley, just because I like being different I guess. And because the of Berger 170eol.

I am just going to say this: 280 Ackley Improved. Problems great and small solved:cool:

Once you completely disregard recoil, factory ammo availability, factory rifle availability, brass availability, barrel twist rate, Short Action benefits and nearly all other .284 calibers, it is the obvious answer and solves all problems. No doubt the reason the 280AI enjoys such huge popularity. Your honor, I rest my case. Lol.

Once you completely disregard recoil, factory ammo availability, factory rifle availability, brass availability, barrel twist rate, Short Action benefits and nearly all other .284 calibers, it is the obvious answer and solves all problems. No doubt the reason the 280AI enjoys such huge popularity. Your honor, I rest my case. Lol.

Not to start an argument but I'll throw a few points out.
We arent looking for 700 sps rifles in this forum, and when you get into nosler, kimber etc you do have factory rifles.

There is factory ammo available and its not hard to fire form either

Twist rates are whatever you want in a custom and the factory guns are typically twisted appropriately

Nosler, norma and hornady make brass

If you had read a post down, i qualified the recoil issue with a brake mount suppressor

After all that, its a **** fine round, just not for everyone

I made it less than a minute into the vid and decided to save my data.
I'll keep my 6.5 Creedmoor. Y'all can shoot whatever u want.
It dumps caribou with 1 shot every time that I do my part correctly
To the best of my knowledge. I've only owned 2 270s, both for a very brief period of time. Never owned a 7/08 . Don't feel I've missed out yet.

Here's a good spread to have, IMHO:
243, 6.5 cm, 270, 7mmRM
Significant steps. Brake on the 7, and all these are sweet to shoot all day or just one confident shot at game.

And then someone else will post their 26" 270 numbers, and so on and so forth.... More powder, more speed.

So add 50 fps to the 270's 2900 with 140's and I am right with it. Bit I guess over 3100fps with a 140 isn't possible without pressure signs or well over 2800 with a 162gr either. I mean it is just a short action round and all.

I have been seeing some good reviews on using H Superformance in the 6.5 CM. I will be trying some soon to see if I can get good results out of my 22". The H4350 is just too hard to find these days so I have been settling for H414 that I already had on my shelf.

I hear that 4350 is hard to find but it's really just a matter of wanting to pay less than $30/lb. I recently got an 8 lb jug for $192. It's a good practice to pick up various powders when you see them so that when there are doughts like a few years back or something becomes "the thing", you already have plenty to keep you going, or good substitutes. Heck, I just last year broke into some H1000 I bought before the drought set in..what's that 4 or 5 years ago now? Same with primers...remember a couple of years ago?

Anyway, I've got some Superperformance I picked up shortly after it came onto the market which I've never tried in anything because H warned not to use it on ANYTHING in ANY combination other than what they published. So those lbs just sat there. Now I'm interested in finding out what I'll do in the 6.5 too.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts