6.5 bullets on game

140 HVLD out of my 264 WM has been a one shot wonder on Deer and Elk, from ~100 yards out to 658.

123 Amax likewise is a Deer slayer at Creedmoor velocities. One shot wonder so far on about 7-8 mature Bucks.

Small groups inspire confidence, which is a good thing to have when trying to hit a small spot at extended range. yes, you can be overconfident in your abilities, but, if you aren't confident in your rifle, you'll pass on shots you don't have to.

My Ruger Predator 6.5 Creedmoor likes the 143 gr ELDX and my Savage 11 6.5 Creedmoor likes the 120 gr GMX. Both are deadly Whitetail rounds and both are very accurate to 400 yards +.

I have used the Berger 140s VLDs with great success on Deer and Antelope. This being done with a 6.5- 284. With that being said, any larger game in the 6.5 platform, I think, I would move up to the Oryx 156 grain. However, I have different rifles, that I use for Oryx, elk, moose, and bear, that I feel are more appropriate for those species.

I'm not trying to hijack the thread, but this topic has been my number one concern for this season for my youngest son and his 6.5CM. Reason why is this; he shot his first buck last year at about 40-50 yds. Made a good shot and shoots sub half MOA all day long from the bench... and very accurate out past 500, so I have faith in his shooting.
He was shooting 143 ELD-X and we found ZERO blood from the site, not by making circles from that point all the way around the edge of the field. Later in the year, the deer was found about 160 yards away from the shot site in some thick brush. So, in a sense the bullet did it's job I guess, but with no blood to track, I'm wasn't happy.
I have worked up a load with 135gr Classic Hunter Bergers in hopes that the bullet will dump it's energy on impact as most claim Berger to do. If this doesn't turn out successfully, Barnes or Accubond will be the next step.
Anyone want to offer any input on shots less than 100yds, I'm open to suggestions; I'm trying to be a good sportsman above all, and also don't want to see a young man disappointed...
Thanks
I have had great results with the 6.5mm 140 VLD Hunting at short ranges. 3 bog whitetails, and a black buck have fallen at ranges from 60 yards to 150 yards. All three were DRT. Even the experienced guide I was with on the black buck hunt was impressed with the bullet performance. I believe that you will achieve the desired results from the Classic Hunters. Good Luck

Alot of concern is placed on accuracy when it comes to a bullet but not much on the bullets effect on game or at least not written about. What is everyone's experience with let's say Berger 140 elite Hunter, Hornady 143 eldx, Nosler accubond LR on game animals?

I used the 140gr Elite Hunter on a Caribou hunt a couple of weeks ago. Launching them at 2790 from my 6.5 Creedmoor. Killed a bull with a double lung shot at about 200 yards. Bullet exited with massive bloodshot on both sides of the rib cage. Bull ran about 50-60 yards before calling it quits. I've used several versions of Bergers out of the .260, 6.5x47 and 6.5 Creedmoor and never seen that much destruction from them before. Killed the bull fine but that much bloodshot was a bit of a turnoff.

John

I can agree with the statements above

1. Accuracy and shot placement are critical and are real factors for quick kills.
2. Hunting is not a perfect scenario and game does move, wind plays with shot placement and the perfect rest is not always available.
3. That being said, for larger game 140 grains is not enough JMO I know I opened a can of worms because when things go wrong (hunting situation) and they invariably do, you are playing with the bare minimum for power and bullet weight. Deer and antelope probably not a concern but bigger game, I prefer a larger margin for error. 1000 foot pounds of energy on an elk is not enough.

6.5x55 Swedish has been killing literally millions of moose in Scandinavia for over a century with plain old dumb bullets so the bullet diameter isn't an issue. When you shoot relatively fragile bullet into water jugs at close range, did you really expect them to not blow up? How many deer do you shoot at 25 yards?

As has been said multiple times, bullet placement is the key with a decent bullet that shoots acceptably in your rifle. 20 or even 15 years ago, it was an exceptional factory rifle that would shoot under 1" at 100, now it's commonplace. We've become spoiled by technology and are overthinking much of what we do. Partition bullets were developed precisely because of the seperation issue and that was in 1948. This ain't rocket science people. Choose a good bullet, load it appropriately for the purpose and shoot it to determine accuracy. The accuracy will determine your effective range, then its down to you to place the bullet where it needs to go.

I used Berger VLD Hunters for the past few years antelope hunting along side my brother who was using ELDX. The ELDX consistently outperformed the Bergers. The final instance that led to me switching was a doe I shot at 360 yards. The first two shots went straight thru without expanding. I took a third shot, this time a headshot and the doe didn't even flinch. The fourth shot dropped her right there. I was more than frustrated to find small entry and exit holes on the first two shots both in the diaphragm area. The head shot went through just behind the jaw in the cheek area, again no expansion. The fourth shot was a couple inches forward of my first two and expanded well. This year I switched to ELDX and had zero issues with both of my animals.

I used 140 accubonds the first year I had my 260 Remington. Shot 2 deer that year at less than 50 yards. Was launching them at 2800 fps and both seemed to pencil through not doing a lot of damage. Luckily both were heart shots. One only went 10 yards the other went over 200. The 8 point that went 200 had fat plug both the entrance and the exit holes. I switched to eldx last year but only got a head shot on a doe so I'm not sure how great their performance is. I think I may try partitions this year because there's always a chance of a black bear for me and I want a tougher bullet.

For what it's worth for deer size game I use the nosler ballistic tip 120 grn bullet pushed at 2900 fps I've shot a good number of deer out to 600 yds never had one move instant drop, also the nosler 129 grn accubond has the same effect both are very effective for deer size game. Also use the 120 grn for coyotes relatively cheap and gets the job done.

I have shot 2 whitetails and a Dall Sheep with the 124 gr Hammers from my 6.5 Creed at about 2940 fps with excellent results.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.