6.5-284 reloading

This was mine at 550 yards. 3 shot group then a correction. I was ready to go hunt desert sheep 👍

Attachments

• IMG_1748.jpeg
    IMG_1748.jpeg
    158.5 KB · Views: 46
Right now I am using 124 Grain Hammer Hunters with 55.0 Grains of H-4831SC and it is shooting lights out. Around 3150 FPS out of a 26" Tube. No pressure signs, I am sure I could push them faster but it is my antelope gun and the 3150 is more than adequate and the accuracy is great.
I like light/medium for caliber bullets for all chamberings. They always seem to settle in nice and I don't like pushing my stuff, primarily because I don't have to. I did have one load that was great for my Crudmore but it was really pokey at like 2465. I thought that I should at least up that a little. It was a bit embarrassing to shoot it that slow.

As for critters the 6.5x284 is capable of taking all the North American deer species, moose, elk, mule deer, white tail, and I would definitely use it on antelope, and black bear. Any wild canines. Probably use 140 bullets and above. I seen on kill reels from some of the best take elk over 800 yards. Definitely need to consider shot placement and be ready for followi up shots but it's proven to do it in one shot kills from a 140VLD. I watched an average guy put 2 in a moose at 420 yards and the moose just tipped over. The 140VLD just kills. Personally I love the design behind the Accubond bullets. I just wish they were not so hard to tune and it may have been the first couple of batches released as back then people were having issues and when they were on there second or 3rd box they noticed a different. I plan on running them in my Creedmoor the 142's. Just haven't shot up my other 140's yet. Probably when I go into retirement I may have a custom 6.5x284 built unless once I get me a barrel for a 280AI screwed on and I really like it more then I'll do that. But that's another retirement dream. I plan on dropping off a few Remington actions to have them worked over and new cut rifle barrels installed . Just don't know if I want to keep the same sendero profile cause they get a little heavy packing around all day but a great platform to make long shots from. I'll probably keep one as a heavy magnum hitter. But honestly a 280AI will fit the bill for a huge amount of hunting. Heck my 308 also does that😎.

I once traded a guy a basic blue Rem 700 bolt 308 for his Savage 116 stainless factory 6.5/284 Norma because he had a hard time finding ammo and was not internet savvy to search online sites.
For a factory rifle… it shoots extremely well with handloads.
It can put a cold bore shot within 3" of center @ 600.
Awesome round.

Last edited:
Try the 139Gr Hammers with H4350
If I remember correctly the 139 needs a 1 in 7.5 twist. 124 a 1 in 8.
Sorry. I had a senior moment. I was thinking of 131 Hammer Hunters. I couldn't get them to shoot well in 1 in 8 twist but the 124 shot great. I'll shut up now.

Last edited: