5r barrels

Im not so sure of the barrel production process of the current 5R catalogue offerings from Remington, but I have owned three of the "off catalogue" 5R Milspec 308 and one 300 WM rifles over the past ten years. The 308's, used for factory class competition all maintained 2-.3MOA using the same load for at least 200 rounds between cleanings, which was an easy process. Barrel break-in required about 10-20 rounds for ease of cleaning and consistent velocity/ES. Barrel life, defined by a degradation to .75-1MOA accuracy was between 2200 and 2500 rounds shooting long, hot strings on a regular basis in the summer months. The Milspec production process for the barrel, chambering, and action was supposedly the same as that used for the M24 rifles. Given the similarity of the chamber dimensions, finish, and performance that extra care was taken in the production of these Milspec rifles compared to the standard offerings I have owned and seen. My most recent purchase of a Milspec 300WM(used for hunting) about four years ago demonstrates the same characteristics as the 308's.
I also have custom barreled rifles in R5 and standard groove and can't say that I have seen a difference in performance, ease of cleaning, etc. due to the rifling type that would lead me to choose one over, but I am partial to the Kreiger 4 groove barrel.

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.