50bmg

ARlife4me

if i "pull the trigger" on the cartridge, what would be the best factory build or the best custom build (parts needed) for this monster? or would going chy-tec in 408 or 375 or something else give me better range. note: largest long-range cartridge i have is 338lm. semi-auto would be nice, but ba's might be the way too go?

I'd lean towards the 375 CT if you're serious about long range shooting. The 50 BMG is a lot of fun, but not a great option for serious target work. The rifles are big and heavy, and you can get better performance without all the blast and recoil. But if you want a 50, get the 50!

A 375 CT, 408 CT or 416 Barrett are better ELR options than a 50. I skipped that and went straight to the 50 this year. A Cadex would be the easy button over a custom. A Desert Tech is good, an AI is great. I got a Barrett 99 and it is very impressive; I also bought a Noreen but it's not as accurate as I want. All of these big cartridges are expensive to shoot but tons of fun. A 50 can be awesome at ELR but you need to make some great loads for it to be competitive.

A while back, I had the same dilemma and after lots of back and forth, I decided to go big or go home and picked up my M95. I love shooting it and there is something exciting about every single shot. And she might be a big old heavy pig of a rifle but she still gets plenty of looks.

BTW, anyone on here who has shot both, is the M99 a noticeable improvement?

I have an East Ridge Gun Co Rebel in 50 BMG and I'm pleased with it. 50 is expensive to shoot and load, can't imagine what the CT's cost.

A while back, I had the same dilemma and after lots of back and forth, I decided to go big or go home and picked up my M95. I love shooting it and there is something exciting about every single shot. And she might be a big old heavy pig of a rifle but she still gets plenty of looks.

BTW, anyone on here who has shot both, is the M99 a noticeable improvement?
If you are ever around central ky I have a 99 you are welcome to shoot and try. I can't tell you anything about a 95. I've never been a round one personally

I debated this for some time before finally making a purchase. I'm a diehard AI fan, but chose a Cadex Tremor. There is something special about their chassis and the accuracy has been more than I anticipated, especially with the 750 Hornady factory ammo.

I like the Cadex so much that I picked up smaller versions in 338 Lapua and 300 PRC.

Another question or survey?

What brass is good enough to reload and what is an average time of brass reuse? When searching for brass (50bmg) I only find LC, magtech and mixed headstamped?

What is your intended use? Do you just want one to have and shoot occasionally, or do you intend to shoot ELR? Do you want to compete all over the country or will you be mostly East of the Mississippi? What does your budget look like? Are you willing to spend $20K or would you prefer to be closer to $10K? Do you have extensive experience in reloading or will you rely on factory ammo? Shooting any one of the suggested cartridges is not a cheap venture. Before you pull the trigger, ask yourself the questions I posed and do the research. If going the custom 50 route, I suggest the Adkins reamer. My last suggestion would be to look at what has done best in Ko2M match. The 50 BMG is not inherently accurate, but I was recently impressed with what the Adkins reamer 50 could do. The 416 Barrett and the 416 Hellfire are great cartridges from what I've seen. I'm a fan of the 375 EnABELR, and the 375 CT. The 408 CT doesn't really offer any advantage over the 375.
As to your last question, brass life depends a lot on you, and how you are prepping it. I know people that only use virgin brass because of the work involved in prepping these big cartridges. Lots more questions than answers, I know. But all things that need considered before dropping the hammer and a lot of money.

What is your intended use? Do you just want one to have and shoot occasionally, or do you intend to shoot ELR? Do you want to compete all over the country or will you be mostly East of the Mississippi? What does your budget look like? Are you willing to spend $20K or would you prefer to be closer to $10K? Do you have extensive experience in reloading or will you rely on factory ammo? Shooting any one of the suggested cartridges is not a cheap venture. Before you pull the trigger, ask yourself the questions I posed and do the research. If going the custom 50 route, I suggest the Adkins reamer. My last suggestion would be to look at what has done best in Ko2M match. The 50 BMG is not inherently accurate, but I was recently impressed with what the Adkins reamer 50 could do. The 416 Barrett and the 416 Hellfire are great cartridges from what I've seen. I'm a fan of the 375 EnABELR, and the 375 CT. The 408 CT doesn't really offer any advantage over the 375.
As to your last question, brass life depends a lot on you, and how you are prepping it. I know people that only use virgin brass because of the work involved in prepping these big cartridges. Lots more questions than answers, I know. But all things that need considered before dropping the hammer and a lot of money.
i've been reloading since i was 18......next month it'll be 41 years from start. the 338lm is the most expensive cartridge ii reload so far, but is cheap compared to 375's and up. no big plans on what it'll be used for as only a range toy and learning experience for my kids (15-26 years of age). a local person (member on here) has done KO2M and has been competing in prs for decades (made a well known name for himself), but unsure of what cartridge he used/uses? the problem i might have is where to shoot that far! my home range gets me to 1/2-3/4 mile depending on time of day. power lines is constricting on how far i could shoot. the new 416 barrett looks interesting for a factory rifle, but may limit barrel length to 34-36"?

The best thing about a 50 BMG is the cool factor when you can say "Yeah, I've got a 50". My son has Barrett M99. It's fun to play with, but, like already said, there are better choices.