5,000 fps coyote rifle?

Didn't Kirby Allen get a 22-243AI up to 5k with something like a 40grain nosler bt? I seem to remember seeing something about it from years back. I've heard the nosler bt is tough enough to survive some pretty nasty abuse on the launch but I've never had anything that outrageous to push to the limits.

Didn't Kirby Allen get a 22-243AI up to 5k with something like a 40grain nosler bt? I seem to remember seeing something about it from years back. I've heard the nosler bt is tough enough to survive some pretty nasty abuse on the launch but I've never had anything that outrageous to push to the limits.

I think he played with a 224 WSM as well. I remember reading something about him shooting a bullet from wildcat bullets that was like 105gr .224 RBT ULD cannot remember much about it though.

Looks like the 22 284 is the cartridge? Now you just have to find the bullet that will hold up and pick a twist rate to work with that bullet. That has to be like a laser to 600 yards?

ive long been intrigued by that cartridge possibility. If I ever get into wildcatting it's on the shortlist (which is getting less short as time goes on .20-223, 6mm-06ai, 30-338 lapua ai, and for whatever reason I'm intrigued by the .27 bore and a completely unmodified .27-250 - or .27-22-250, not sure how you'd say it).

it's not as lasery as one might hope, not
to 600. I've played with the numbers a bunch. The greatest point blank range possible seems to be with the 53 grain vmax or varmageddon, bc of .29-.3, should be well over 4000 FPS. I optimistically entered 4450 FPS into the calculator and, assuming you've got a big scope on the rig with line of sight 2 inches above bore, the farthest you can zero it without it exceeding 3 inches of rise is 350 yards (which is awesome). At that zero distance it's exactly 3.0 inches high at 200 yards, 2.6 low at 400, and 24 inches or 2 feet on the dot at 600 yards. Very impressive but not a point blank shot. I think you'd need an electromagnetic rail gun for that or one of those saboted tank rounds.

the highest bc 40 grain bullets can only be zeroed 5, yes 5, yards further out before midrange trajectory exceeds 3inches over, even if launched at the optimistic 5000 FPS. And they shoot no flatter to 500, 11 inches of drop for both, and have dropped 4 more inches at 600.

33 gr Vmax 223 to 4200 fps with Blue Dot.

I have gone faster with H110, but the chrono would not trigger.

Attachments

• 1AR15BlueDot18Gr33VmaxDSCF0027.jpg
    1AR15BlueDot18Gr33VmaxDSCF0027.jpg
    15.3 KB · Views: 116
I know a couple of coyote hunting contest experts that shoot 257 Weatherby with 70 grain varmint bullets. All they care about is enough parts to count as one for each shot fired. I tried it in mine, shot one coyote and it was a pretty gruesome kill. Cool thing is you can get the gun ready to shoot pretty cheap! Think vanguard

I have to agree a 257 WBY with a 70gr Blitz King with a full case of RL17 will produce speeds of over 4500 fps at least it does in my 28" 12 twist what more could you want or need.

Dean

I would like to set straight from my prior post, this can only be done with WBY brass and not necked down 264 WinMag or 7mm RemMag brass. Also I had to use NON Magnum primers, With Magnum primers and 264-7mm Mag brass I had to reduce the loads and could "only" attain somewhere around 4300 fps.

Dean

Last edited:
While it's tempting to think of saboted bullets as a way to get high velocities - despite awful accuracy because of sabot stripping on the lands - there's another use: for small game in the same gun as used for deer. They don't have to be loaded to warp speed. Seems to me that a .30 cal rifle with a 50-55 grain bullet in a sabot, loaded to about 2,500 - 3,000 f/s would be useful and would grip the lands better, possibly improving accuracy if the problem is a lack of stability from spin stabilization at higher velocities. It would certainly be enough to take small game for the pot without blowing it apart.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.