.375 hh

What manufacturer offers it in a factory rifle that doesn't have a wood stock? Doesn't appear to be much. I'd rather not spend 2k+ on it.

Weatherby used to make one in a stainless steel synthetic stock Mark V . I still have mine it's a little over kill but i don't have to track anything. And I love when someone asks me why I Hunt with a 375H&H but I have never lost a animal yet. and I killed everything from varmints to Buffalo with no problem

Last edited:
I have had/hunted with several .375 H&H rifles. 2 Mod 700 BDL SS models, a Model 700 Classic, 2 Whitworth Express, and 2 Mod 70 African Express models and one Number One Ruger. The Whitworth is the neatest looking and not too heavy. The Remingtons were as light as 7mm Mags and just as easy to shoot. The Ruger and Winchesters were like truck axles. For the mountains, its the Remington, all around, the Whitworth is a Classic (barrel band swivel, express sights, mauser action.) Just on the rifle range, the truck axles. lol

I have had/hunted with several .375 H&H rifles. 2 Mod 700 BDL SS models, a Model 700 Classic, 2 Whitworth Express, and 2 Mod 70 African Express models and one Number One Ruger. The Whitworth is the neatest looking and not too heavy. The Remingtons were as light as 7mm Mags and just as easy to shoot. The Ruger and Winchesters were like truck axles. For the mountains, its the Remington, all around, the Whitworth is a Classic (barrel band swivel, express sights, mauser action.) Just on the rifle range, the truck axles. lol

I have a 375 H&H Whitworth Express Rifle that I've owned since the early 80's. Mounted with a detachable 4x scope, it served as my all-purpose rifle for African hunting, effectively taking game Impala to Cape buffalo. Shown(30+ years ago) with a Kudu taken at 300 yards using factory Winchester 270gr PowerPoint ammo. The 375 H&H is one if my favorite cartridges, and the Whitworth, one of my most cherished rifles! I surely miss the beauty of blued steel and walnut....not to mention, youth!
8516E416-383B-4354-89FC-D15F86BF0D9D.jpeg

I fell hard for the 375 H&H several years ago. Picked up a nice used Ruger Number One along with a mess of ammo, dies and components. I've shot several black bear with that rifle. The farthest just a bit beyond 300 yards, using the 260 gr Nosler Accubond. The closest at about 15 feet. It had been wounded by another hunter and I went into the brush to find it. I could hear that bear moving and breathing but couldn't see it! Finally found the bear and shot it. That worked I've got an older 3x Leupold on it now. Seems to work well with the rifle.
J1toCsjl.jpg

Then, needing it not at all, I found a nice used custom-built Win Model 70 in 375 just lurking in a local gunshop. They wanted a ridiculously low price for it, so it went home with me. I have hunted absolutely nothing with it, but it sure is a nice rifle. Had thought about taking it to Alaska for grizzly, but chose my 30-06 for that hunt instead. Someday I'll get the Model 70 on a hunt.
bLiT2OXl.jpg

The 375 is a great cartridge. Plenty of power, yet the recoil seems to be more of a big push, rather than a sharp rap. I thoroughly enjoy handloading for my 375's, and practicing with them at the range. It's an easy cartridge to live with, though even the most inexpensive factory ammo is, expensive!
q9FBjK0l.jpg

XNomgggl.jpg

I do think it's pretty funny that this mule-deer hunter ended up with not one, but a pair of 375's.

Its a good old cartridge, in my mind best suited for "medium" game, elk, big bear. I use it at the same distances I am comfortable with my 30-06, about 300 yards or so. I'd push it to 400 if necessary.

African hunters seem to like it for just about anything, though it's a little light to be considered a "stopping rifle" from what I've read. Never hunted Africa, but I'd sure like to. I was told that on Safari in Africa, my Winchester accounted for 22 animals on one hunt. Wish I'd been there!

Regards, Guy

slowly building my collection which honestly isn't very big at the moment but to cover all the bases I have a .22, .223/5.56s, 7mm08, .300 win.....thinking of adding a .375 hh. Just a basic stainless Remington factory 24" bbl Tupperware stock. I am a little on the fence with it or .338 win. I want to to stick with cartridges that components and ammo are relatively easy to acquire. Not looking to start a conversation about .338 vs .375 but I feel the .375 is a logical jump to really cover any use I might have.
I was in your boat a few years ago with a close approaching trip to Africa and plans yet to kill a big bear and moose in AK.

The more I researched it, the more the .375 seemed perfect and of course all of my friends in Africa said it was the ideal, most versatile of all for African game.

Instead of the H&H though I went with the .375 Ruger after giving great consideration to the H&H, Ruger, and RUM.

I'm no weenie but the Rum just didn't make sense for the gain vs the increased muzzle blast and recoil and of course it's almost down to obsolescence with ammo and brass hard to come by.

The 150-200fps and added energy of the Ruger over the H&H in a still very manageable package with tolerable recoil and great ballistics to 600yds won the day.

Unfortunately I liked it so much I bought three, gave one away, traded one, and now I'm getting ready to build another custom on a M70 Rum action with a 28" barrel just to see how capable one can be to 800yds.

I fell hard for the 375 H&H several years ago. Picked up a nice used Ruger Number One along with a mess of ammo, dies and components. I've shot several black bear with that rifle. The farthest just a bit beyond 300 yards, using the 260 gr Nosler Accubond. The closest at about 15 feet. It had been wounded by another hunter and I went into the brush to find it. I could hear that bear moving and breathing but couldn't see it! Finally found the bear and shot it. That worked I've got an older 3x Leupold on it now. Seems to work well with the rifle.
J1toCsjl.jpg

Then, needing it not at all, I found a nice used custom-built Win Model 70 in 375 just lurking in a local gunshop. They wanted a ridiculously low price for it, so it went home with me. I have hunted absolutely nothing with it, but it sure is a nice rifle. Had thought about taking it to Alaska for grizzly, but chose my 30-06 for that hunt instead. Someday I'll get the Model 70 on a hunt.
bLiT2OXl.jpg

The 375 is a great cartridge. Plenty of power, yet the recoil seems to be more of a big push, rather than a sharp rap. I thoroughly enjoy handloading for my 375's, and practicing with them at the range. It's an easy cartridge to live with, though even the most inexpensive factory ammo is, expensive!
q9FBjK0l.jpg

XNomgggl.jpg

I do think it's pretty funny that this mule-deer hunter ended up with not one, but a pair of 375's.

Its a good old cartridge, in my mind best suited for "medium" game, elk, big bear. I use it at the same distances I am comfortable with my 30-06, about 300 yards or so. I'd push it to 400 if necessary.

African hunters seem to like it for just about anything, though it's a little light to be considered a "stopping rifle" from what I've read. Never hunted Africa, but I'd sure like to. I was told that on Safari in Africa, my Winchester accounted for 22 animals on one hunt. Wish I'd been there!

Regards, Guy
Given a choice for a charging buff, rhino, elephant, particularly one that's wounded they want the most power a man can tolerate and not run backwards such as the .458's, 500's and larger.

For the hunter otherwise the .375's are more than adequate and certainly the most popular of all the magnums in Africa for everything from small game to Elephant.

With the right bullet and right load, it's quite capable of one shot kills on the largest and most dangerous of game.

The only negative of the Remington that I had was extraction. I feel with the 375 case a claw extractor is a better option to have vs what a Remington has. Something that a smith could modified and add to the Remington for sure.
I could be very wrong and maybe my rifle had other issues....
Certainly for anything that you might ever need as a DG gun the big ole ugly claw is preferable. In all these years I've been shooting them I have yet to see one fail to extract every time unless some idiot had done something nasty to it with a screwdriver etc.

What manufacturer offers it in a factory rifle that doesn't have a wood stock? Doesn't appear to be much. I'd rather not spend 2k+ on it.
Nothing wrong with wood, particularly a good laminate.

Fifty years ago we didn't have the quality of finishes we have today for wood thus we could not really seal them against the elements well, today we do.

On a true wood stock I like to rub tung oil into it till it simply won't accept any more and then let it dry till it will finally take a little more.

Once that's done, seal it and you can pretty well forget it.

With laminates the wood is so heavily impregnated with the epoxy it's impervious to weather.

I have a 375 H&H Whitworth Express Rifle that I've owned since the early 80's. Mounted with a detachable 4x scope, it served as my all-purpose rifle for African hunting, effectively taking game Impala to Cape buffalo. Shown(30+ years ago) with a Kudu taken at 300 yards using factory Winchester 270gr PowerPoint ammo. The 375 H&H is one if my favorite cartridges, and the Whitworth, one of my most cherished rifles! I surely miss the beauty of blued steel and walnut....not to mention, youth!
View attachment 106552
Beautiful bull.

Given a choice for a charging buff, rhino, elephant, particularly one that's wounded they want the most power a man can tolerate and not run backwards such as the .458's, 500's and larger.

For the hunter otherwise the .375's are more than adequate and certainly the most popular of all the magnums in Africa for everything from small game to Elephant.

With the right bullet and right load, it's quite capable of one shot kills on the largest and most dangerous of game.
I've gotten hooked on Peregrine's monolithics, but the 260gr Accubond is probably the best traditional bullet ever made for the short and mid range .375's for everything other than the toughest and most dangerous African Game.

I have an admitted prejudice for AB's. Kind a like a steel hammer, it will always work.

I fell hard for the 375 H&H several years ago..........................

Regards, Guy

Agreed! The 375 H&H is a capable round for the majority of shots taken at dangerous game that is "unaware" and at a sufficient distance from the animal. While I have observed others, and shot Cape Buffalo myself with the 375 H&H, I would definitely prefer a larger bore when hunting large, dangerous game in close quarters, including the Grizzly/Brown bears. For African Lion, tracked on foot, I used my 450 H&H Double Express Rifle. Shooting at <20 yards, there was little margin of error.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.