375 H&h

I did a bunch of reading before ordering some bullets for my 375 H&H AI and guys who hunt a lot all over the world with 375 H&H were saying that for elk and bear in North America, they were loving the Barnes 250 grain TTSX because of how flat shooting it is and yet still hits with authority. For African game they said go up to the 270 or 300 grain bullets.

The debate... a little flatter shooting if you see him at 300 yards or hit harder if you need to attempt a rear quartering shot.

Side question... have you come to Saskatchewan for bears yet?

I was running R15 and just sub 2900. I don't run that bugger to the nuts so yeah 3K should be doable. Great chuck and yote load eh!
2900 is more than enough, I'm not trying to make a mid range? gun into a bench rest 1 hole 500 yard gun. Just a 200 or more yard hammer. That's why I dropped all the weight to make up for loss of trajectory. I can shorten the shot or call .

I had a .375-.338WM. Real close to .375 H&H performance, like 2,800 plus with Sierra 250's & RL15. My usual load was 69-71 grains of H4350, AA4350, or SW 4350 with the Speer 270 spbt bullet. I made brass from .338 WM but with more work brass can be made from 7mm Rem Mag.
Ballistics were real close to 165-168 grain .308 Win loads. It also shot the 270 grain Hornady interlock bullet very well.

I re-barreled the rifle to a 6.5 PRC.

I have a RCBS .375-.338 die set, some 260 Accubond & Speer 270 grain bullets, some brass, a nice take off SS 12 twist Lilja .375-.338 WM barrel for a Ruger M77 MKII by a well known gun smith, & Ruger stock.

Please PM me if interested in any of these items - will make a real good deal.
How many 260 accubonds?

I have a model 70 375 hh I'm running just plain hornady 270 grainers in it with accurate 2700 powder. I've always said one day was gonna try them lighter barnes just to see how they shoot but accuracy with hornadys has been great so far so haven't tried anything else. My load isn't hot by any means it's only going 2750 but groups great at 100 yards. I took it up to max and groups started opening back up more I got away from that 2750 area, that is also speed of factory hornadys that shoot very well out of mine to.

@Bearman375

Ok... why not Saskatchewan out of curiosity?

Assuming your talking black bears only, Saskatchewan had more bears in the trophy book than alberta did a few years ago.

The way I understand it is that manitoba, Saskatchewan and alberta are basically all on par when it comes to black bears. The only thing is that here most farmers will welcome you to come shoot them!!! They just love sitting in the canola fields in the fall and the lazy buggers will lie down on a swath and then they just move their head side to side eat.

I shoot 260 grain accubonds with reloader 15. Nothing in North America would make me want to shoot anything else. This combo works well in several 375s.

@Bearman375

Ok... why not Saskatchewan out of curiosity?

Assuming your talking black bears only, Saskatchewan had more bears in the trophy book than alberta did a few years ago.

The way I understand it is that manitoba, Saskatchewan and alberta are basically all on par when it comes to black bears. The only thing is that here most farmers will welcome you to come shoot them!!! They just love sitting in the canola fields in the fall and the lazy buggers will lie down on a swath and then they just move their head side to side eat.
Main reason is allowing 1 bear. I'm not greedy but I always go for 2 bears. Just my thing. If I'm paying good money to hunt there I want the opportunity to harvest 2. Pic is of my 2nd one 3 hours after my 1st one in a stand

Attachments

• DSCN1587.jpeg
    DSCN1587.jpeg
    407.8 KB · Views: 40
Main reason is allowing 1 bear. I'm not greedy but I always go for 2 bears. Just my thing. If I'm paying good money to hunt there I want the opportunity to harvest 2. Pic is of my 2nd one 3 hours after my 1st one in a stand
The 2nd pic is my 1st one arrowed 3 hours prior, same stand

Attachments

• IMG_0588.png
    IMG_0588.png
    1.1 MB · Views: 39
Makes total sense now and I don't blame your for that 1 bit.

There's talk about opening it up for 2 bears here because there was such a decline in American hunters coming here for bears that the population just EXPLODED... everyone was coming for deer but not bears. So keep an eye out on that.

I've used my 375 H&H AWR and killed everything from grouse to Elk using the 270 grain triple shocks with varget. A few years ago I switched to the 270 LRX and have killed a handful of deer and elk with them and they work great, I've recovered a few bullets against the hide on the opposite side and they all look just like the pics. Mine will shoot both bullets into a 1" group @ 200 yards.
What did the gun weigh without scope? Thanks

The 260g Accubond is one of the finest flat shooting 375 bullets out there.
Here's some recovered from both the 375H&H and 375 Weatherby shot into Water Buff at less than 50 metres.

Cheers.

Attachments

• IMG_2314.jpeg
    IMG_2314.jpeg
    158.8 KB · Views: 29
  • IMG_2312.jpeg
    IMG_2312.jpeg
    265.8 KB · Views: 29