Going on an AK Goat hunt this fall near Valdez. I'm trying to figure out what people's feelings are on caliber selection?

Does anyone have an energy minimum they want at impact? I use 1500ft/lbs on elk.

Also, what bullet do you all like? Right now I use Barnes LRX and Accubond in these calibers.

I'm comfortable if conditions are descent to 1000yds and have several animals beyond that (winds were light and time was available). I usually shoot a 300WM/300RUM/338LM at distance and all rifles are equal weight/accuracy/comfort/optics and really the only thing that changes is range that they carry energy to.

Thanks!
if you are a reloader then I would suggest to you 7prc or 6.5 Prc or a 25-06
With all the 6.5 crazy people you can pick up a box a n

Going on an AK Goat hunt this fall near Valdez. I'm trying to figure out what people's feelings are on caliber selection?

Does anyone have an energy minimum they want at impact? I use 1500ft/lbs on elk.

Also, what bullet do you all like? Right now I use Barnes LRX and Accubond in these calibers.

I'm comfortable if conditions are descent to 1000yds and have several animals beyond that (winds were light and time was available). I usually shoot a 300WM/300RUM/338LM at distance and all rifles are equal weight/accuracy/comfort/optics and really the only thing that changes is range that they carry energy to.

Thanks!
I have used a 300 win mag for 34 years up here for every thing from whistle pigs to bears and the 215 gr burger hybrid from the year they put it on the market

It's perfectly valid for goats. They're not tough, they just don't have the anatomy of a white tail and shots are often not where they should be. If you put any bullet where it's supposed to go they die rather quick. They just don't lay down a die like a caribou with a hangnail does.
Study of goat anatomy... and nanny vs billy identification will do more for you goat hunt success than any ultra magnum rifle will.
For my goat hunt this year, I'm taking my 270 if the new stock comes in time. If it doesn't I'll be taking my 6.5cm that's sitting here ready to go.
An Indian and his young son was walking through the forest. They came up on a small blood trail. The father said to the son wounded Whitetail. The young son said shall we track it? The wise old Indian said no the Whitetail will not die , he will live. The young son says how do you know father? It was shot with a 6.5 Creedmoor.

Thanks!
I used a 30 Nosler with a 215 grain Berger. You want to make sure that goat stays where you hit them. They love flying off a cliff every time they get shot

Thanks for all the info. I really appreciate all your inputs. I'm signing off on this post because I have the info I wanted. For those that feel a primal desire to question a person's capability without knowing them and instead want to ask if someone actually can log a first shot hit on an animal at distance, I remember you from the last PRS comp….keep practicing! You almost got there!!!!

Seriously, for those that made meaningful contributions, I thank you. I hope to repay the favor in the future!

Cheers!
I'd almost pay money to see someone hike a prs gun into goat territory.

Thanks!
Difficult to judge a goat at ranges you speak of. Goats are excessively difficult to approach successfully to within 300 yards. Prepare to meet the goat gods extreme weather!
Best of luck 🏹

Difficult to judge a goat at ranges you speak of. Goats are excessively difficult to approach successfully to within 300 yards. Prepare to meet the goat gods extreme weather!
Best of luck 🏹
Ya, I'd be interested how they're going to call a Billy vs nanny at that range also.
Maybe I'm crap at judging sex on goats but I find them pretty difficult to know for sure and I'm not pulling the trigger on anything until I'm 100%. It's usually like ya that looks like a shooter, let's get closer and find out.

Last edited:
Too many assumptions being made here of the OP. All he really said is he's comfortable to 1000 yards IF conditions are right. Conditions aren't just wind and weather and positioning. If you can't judge the animal at 300 yards or 800 yards then the "conditions" aren't right. Here we are now bringing "ethics" into it which are prohibited by Len to even be discussed here. Lighten up man, guys just asking for help with Caliber selection, his guide will direct him appropriately and I'm sure he will make the right decision. A lot of ASSumptions being made!

Edit: looks like he's ****ed enough now the title has been removed. I Don't blame him!! Time for the ignore button.

Last edited:
I'd love to see someone put a first round hit on an animal sized target at 1000 yards from a field shooting position in the mountains. Even more so if it's some high recoiling magnum.
Seriously, who tf is shooting at goats in the mountains at 1000?
People that don't want to hike to the top, and know their equipment? 🤷

Recent Posts