Doubt they ve got a guide who s worth his salt approving of that scenario…. But who knows? 🤷‍♂️

I know they have been discontinued, but has anyone used the Federal Terminal Ascent in 6.5 PRC ? There is still ammo out there.
I have tried it because I really wanted to use that bullet. My proof carbon barrel did not like it at all. Was real disappointed. Maybe why they discontinued.

Also tried to find components to reload. I don't think they ever put them on the market.

Going on an AK Goat hunt this fall near Valdez. I'm trying to figure out what people's feelings are on caliber selection?

Does anyone have an energy minimum they want at impact? I use 1500ft/lbs on elk.

Also, what bullet do you all like? Right now I use Barnes LRX and Accubond in these calibers.

I'm comfortable if conditions are descent to 1000yds and have several animals beyond that (winds were light and time was available). I usually shoot a 300WM/300RUM/338LM at distance and all rifles are equal weight/accuracy/comfort/optics and really the only thing that changes is range that they carry energy to.

Thanks!
I used a 300 RUM with 185g Berger VLD's going 3,200 fps. Took one step and the fell off a cliff. Fortunately he didn't tumble too far.

Going on an AK Goat hunt this fall near Valdez. I'm trying to figure out what people's feelings are on caliber selection?

Does anyone have an energy minimum they want at impact? I use 1500ft/lbs on elk.

Also, what bullet do you all like? Right now I use Barnes LRX and Accubond in these calibers.

I'm comfortable if conditions are descent to 1000yds and have several animals beyond that (winds were light and time was available). I usually shoot a 300WM/300RUM/338LM at distance and all rifles are equal weight/accuracy/comfort/optics and really the only thing that changes is range that they carry energy to.

Thanks!
I say anything from 7mm and up and I'm partial to Nosler Partitions but I'm sure most, and I say most, recommendations on here are valid.

I've harvested two goats in Wa. state, one in the 70's and one in the 80's. Both where shot with a 300 win. and 180 gr. Nosler pt. around 200 yds. Both were one shot kills and were DOA. when they hit the ground after they bailed off the cliffs they were looking down at me from above. One fell about 100 ft. and the other one jumped off the cliff and free falled about 150 ft. and landed in a creek. Good idea to check out the the terrain below before tripping the trigger. Good Luck have a safe hunt.

I got my goat on Kodiak Island back in 2018. My outfitter told me to bring the largest caliber I was comfortable with since goats suck up lead like nobody's business and you want to pole axe them so they don't run off the side of the mountain. That gave me a great reason to purchase a new rifle chambered in 338 LM. I used the 213 gr Hammer Hunter bullet in my handloads and it performed flawlessly. 209 yard shot through both front shoulders due to how the Billy was bedded. He did a 180 upon impact, then fell over. My hunting buddy shot his with a 7 Rem Mag at 300 yards using the 168gr Berger. His Billy ran off the mountain and dropped over 2000 vertical feet. It took him and his guide all day to recover the animal. So, I'm glad I had a 338 LM. Both calibers worked, so you be the judge on which may have worked better.
Just FYI, my guide carried a 325 WSM and my friends guide carried a 300 WM.

Good luck on your hunt. Toughest hunt I've ever done from both a physical and mental standpoint. It was one hell of an adventure.

I guess I would have to recommend a 7 SAUM since that it what I had built for my goat hunt.
Made it somewhat a light weight but ended up being more of a medium weight. Just a tad over 8 lbs fully decked out. Only drawback, if that is one, you have to handload, which I was going to do anyway.

Personally, I would not go below a 7 mm with a good bonded bullet...

Well, I'm kind of sweet on the .338 Rem Mag, or perhaps the 8mm Rem Mag for a hunt... but, my first pick would be the .358 Norma Mag... Just my 0.2 Cheers

7 PRC with a 160gr CX would work. If your gun likes it, carries it's energy well at distance. Will hold up to a shoulder shot that will anchor your goat. Also will provide plenty of punch for a big Yogi. Any of the .30 Cals that you can shoot good in a light rifle will work too.

Last edited:

Recent Posts