357 Magnum for bear…?

...NO, NO, NO....a .22lr will kill one also, why risk your hide for it.
Sometimes I just wonder if any handgun would work on a truly amped up bear. I’ve seen small ones run quite a ways after a hit from a 300 RUM (biggest round I’ve ever shot a bear with) which leaves me less convinced anything in a handgun offers any sort of guarantee. I’m not willing to gamble with a 22 but if the 10mm is considered adequate, it stands to reason a 357 would also “suffice.”

I've told this story before on hear.its documented in a ol local paper.Game warden was releasing a ornery grizzly.In back of truck parked on small bridge, bear turned and pulled cage and guy out.As he was falling he pulled 357 and shot bear multiple times on way down, dead bear.This was a relocate project.
Both of his legs were broken and he figured it was his last round at point blank range that killed the grizzly.

Both of his legs were broken and he figured it was his last round at point blank range that killed the grizzly.
There's a live youtube video of that culvert trap release. Warden is on top of the trap, lifts the door, Grizzlybar comes out of trap, sees the Warden, Boar grizz is standing full upright, tilts the culvert trap, which is in the bed of an old Chevy pickup, trying to get the guy, chomping at Wardens leg. The trap isn't hookD down and the Warden's basically Bear wrestling with his 357 magnun, lookD like a S&W with about a 6" barrel. The Warden, Lou Kis won the fight with little battle damage on his leg and torn his pants, guy didn't even break a sweat, took the helicopter ride to the hospital. It's in 1987 in Montana F&G

Last edited:
There's a live youtube video of that culvert trap release. Warden is on top of the trap, lifts the door, Grizzlybar comes out of trap, sees the Warden, Boar grizz is standing full upright, tilts the culvert trap, which is in the bed of an old Chevy pickup, trying to get the guy, chomping at Wardens leg. The trap isn't hookD down and the Warden's basically Bear wrestling with his 357 magnun, lookD like a S&W with about a 6" barrel. The Warden, Lou Kis won the fight with little battle damage on his leg and torn his pants, guy didn't even break a sweat, took the helicopter ride to the hospital. It's in 1987 in Montana F&G
My mother-in-law had just sold him lunch before he and his friends headed down the south fork of the Flathead River to release the bear. They were transporting it from the east side of the park where it had killed a cow.

My mother-in-law had just sold him lunch before he and his friends headed down the south fork of the Flathead River to release the bear. They were transporting it from the east side of the park where it had killed a cow.
They got it near Kalispell on the Reservation. They TranqD it, ear tag, radio collar, and released and killD it in the Bob Marshall, ThinkN the bear got fed up waitN in the trap in the hot Sun and tried to lodge a complaint right away when he got out of the trap.