.338 STA

casey36

Has anyone played around with a round like this or on an .375 mag case. I have one called a .338-375RR. Runs with or just bit ahead of a 340 wetherby.

I remember the .358 STA……a good cartridge. I don't remember the .338 STA, but with the wide array of .338 bullets available……it should/could be a great cartridge!

But……I can't believe that the .338 RUM wasn't a must have cartridge for many folks! I guess that it couldn't complete with the 6.5 "musthave"! memtb

I thought about necking up 8mmRM/7STW to 30/33/37 and had already played with 375 Weatherby cases necked up and down. The performance increase was there, but I went with the 416 Rigby Improved design with various shoulder angles.
I built 2 rifles for a buddy, 1 is a 35-300WSM and the other is a 358STA. Both built on Win Model 70 actions.
Layne Sampson was the obvious inspiration, however, I have never been a fan of 35 cal since my very short ownership of a 35 Whelen, it just couldn't come close to my 338-06 with the same weight bullets.
The 338-358STA would be a fine wildcat, if I remember, it has a 30° shoulder instead of 25°.

Cheers.

Edited to add:
Looked at my notes on my reamer print, the 358STA has a 35° shoulder, and we used A-Square data.

Last edited:
Sometime in the 1980's I had a .375-8Rem. Without a scope it weighs ten pounds. I used duplex loads and got 3,000 feet per second with Sierra 300 grain bullets. At first I was surprised when it fired a 3/8" group, but they became so common I was surprised when I got a group about an inch. I remember I decided to take it deer hunting one year so I took it to the range and fired three off hand shots: six inches. I sat down and fired three more and it was six inches.

A guy watching asked, how good does it do from the bench. I set a target at somewhere between 450 and 500 yards. When I brought the target back the guy exclaimed, "That's a squirrel gun!" The group was 2 1/4". I no longer play with it because I got old and lazy. Now I carry an eight pound rifle.

I have a 358 STA. The reason most people didn't wildcat a full length 375 H&H case to a .338 is the 340 Weatherby exists. No real practical difference…

IBut……I can't believe that the .338 RUM wasn't a must have cartridge for many folks!
I looked at it, but built a 338 Edge, so simple to neck up brass, dies weren't cheap,
This was Remington's loss opportunity. The .338 Edge is what the .338 RUM should have been, and Shawn Carlock/DE quickly realized it and started building/marketing it.

Has anyone played around with a round like this or on an .375 mag case. I have one called a .338-375RR. Runs with or just bit ahead of a 340 wetherby.
What you are trying to do is similar to my .30 Lara (.300 Jarrett Improved). The main advantage is increased brass options/availability. You can use .375 H&H, .300 H&H, 8MM RM, 7MM STW, .358 STA, .416 RM, and depending on your reamer design, you might be able to shoot the .340 Weatherby too, just as my .30 LARA can.

1725795984516.jpeg

Good luck!

I've been fire forming 375 brass but I'm going to try necking up 8mm mag. brass. I have Redding custom shop dies with a tapered expanding button. I think that will save me some steps. Just need to find some brass!

I have a 358 STA. The reason most people didn't wildcat a full length 375 H&H case to a .338 is the 340 Weatherby exists. No real practical difference…
I had a huge lot of 375 cases at the time. About 1500 if I remember correctly. Also alot of 8mm mag that I was using for my 7mm STW.