338 build advice

I was in the same situation as you, went ahead and ordered a Christensen MPR in 338 Lapua. My father has been shooting a Christensen Summit TI in 338 Lapua for 8 years so I was already setup to reload them for him. After getting deals on brass on here and other places I'm around $2 a round.

Cost wise a 338 Win mag. Lighter weight, cost is less, ammo readily available. Reloading is simple. I use mine for deer and elk. Not sure about long range though. it is on a mauser 98. Federal barrel and Not sure if they are in business any more. That was some years ago 1/4 minute. try Remington 700 Long action . I use Long range 300 win mag. huge range of bullets loads. it seems the other options start getting very expensive for ammo, brass etc. And rifles. 338 never fail.

Along these lines. My full custom 338 NM prints 1/4" holes at 100 yards more consistently than I would think possible since I don't consider myself a great shot. No other factory or semi custom (i.e. <1/2 the cost) I have will shoot anywhere close to that good. Reloading for the 338 NM is about $1.5 per shot. I don't go out and burn powder with it.

Your in the RUM or EDGE land staying on a factory action.

Most semi custom 338s won't come close to that on average.

I built a 338 RUM on a 700 BDL Remington action and stock. Schneider SS P5 30" barrel plus 2 1/4" break. Measures .665 at the muzzle. Jewel trigger. 250gr SMK 3100fps. Was looking at the edge but my smith talked me out of it as he much preferred the 338 RUM for accuracy. I have several targets on my wall with one hole groups at 200yrds. One measured .147 and another with all 3 bullets in the same hole. Another measured 1.549" at 600yrds. Gun weighs 10 3/4lbs with a 5.5x22(right at 2lbs) Nightforce scope. With the break he put on it kicks about like a 30-06. Paid under $2000 and that included the purchase of the new Remington rifle. He built it for me about 8yrs ago and his builds have gone up but he is still real reasonable. Most accurate rifle I have ever shot by far. He has made several with similar results. His guns flat shoot. He built me a 270 Weatherby that shoots close to that as well.

I'm thinking about building a rifle chambered in an undetermined 338 caliber. I want to use this gun to do a couple of different things. My priorities are elk hunting, so I guess it needs to be somewhat lightweight. I'd also like to use it to learn to shoot in the 1000 yard to a mile range, so I guess it can't be too light weight. I also don't want it to cost me $5 every time I pull the trigger. Finally, I don't have $4 to 5k to build a gun. I need to build it on a budget. Hoping to keep it below $2k without optics. Oh, yeah, I'd like it to shoot 1/4 moa at 100 yards.

My questions - is this possible? What caliber would you go with? I'm leaning towards 338 EDGE, but I'm open to others if there's a better 338 caliber round. What components should I use? Is there a gunsmith you'd use?

This will be my first bolt action build. I've "built" ar-15s, but never a bolt gun.
I have experience with a .338 WM, and .338 RUM. - I let go of the RUM. - I'd say maybe build a .338 WM with a 26-inch barrel and no muzzle brake. - I had a brake on the RUM and I'd get headaches before 10-rds. fired. - The .338 WM shot 3/8ths inch groups with hunting bullets. 210-gr. Nosler Partitions! going almost 3,000-fps in 24-inch barrel! - Good enough for me.

My cousin and I ordered rifles from Montana Rifle Company in August 2018. We both ordered the X2 (now X3) chambered for in the 338 Rum with 26" barrel and muzzle brake. I am not a big fan of the muzzle brake during hunting situations but while target practicing it works great. I am using Walker Game Ears while hunting to protect my hearing. The rifle took about 7 months to get, and was around $1,500. The most expensive part of the setup was the scope. We have been shooting Nosler ABLR 265 grain and Hornady ELD-X 270 grain bullets and we are reloading. Velocities are around 2,900 to 2,975 ft per second depending on the powder and other variables. Velocities were obtain from using the Labradar Doplar Radar. We are getting very good groups at 200 yards, still playing with powders. My cousin has been shooting from 1,000 to over 2,000 yards and getting very solid results. We did a lot of looking before we went with Montana Rifle Company. Not saying you should go with 338 RUM, more saying checkout Montana Rifle Company as our results have been excellent. Might contact Nosler to see what is their go to cartridge and caliber is for testing. Good luck in your search, that is the fun part, unless you have lots of money and can buy lots of guns.:)

My vote is for the 338 RUM ! You can buy factory ammo fits in a standard Remington long action. Has the horse power to reach out with bullets up to 300gr .Will do everything a Lapua will do cheaper.
My rifle will consistently put down groups of five shots all touching at 200yds
Since it is your first bolt build keep it simple it is easy to upgrade later

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.