33 Nosler testing

Its been an amazing fall season for me so far and I'm still holding two more tags in my pocket. Since I didnt get this 33 Nosler up and running for last fall I made up some ground this fall. It's been out on two separate hunts this fall and has accounted for three of my four big game animals falling to it. The load I ended up with was N555 under a Berger 250 grain Elite Hunter going 2850 fps.

Started out in the fall in the Idaho backcountry in search of elk as the main target which they managed to elude us for the nine days we were up there. This hunt was with @livetohunt. He was able to connect with a nice whitetail buck on the second day of the hunt. It took me two more days before I got to put crosshairs on my whitetail buck at 300 yards. It was a smart buck and was holding extremely tight in a tiny brush pocket that I had thrown rocks in and ate lunch above before starting down to push it. When I started down towards the brush I was only a few yards from where I had ate but the movement must have been too much to handle and he busted out. While he was starting his way up the opposite hillside I got the tripod deployed and locked the rifle in for the shot. This was my first time actually putting my tripod practice to use since @livetohunt taught me a couple years ago and a couple NRL Hunter matches later.
20240918_122813.jpg

20240918_125647.jpg

After taking care of my deer we hiked it back to our glassing spot and was going to finish the day out glassing in hopes of elk coming out. I ended up seeing some movement on the edge of our view which deemed a look with the spotting scope. It turned out to be a bear but couldnt get set up for a clear shot at the 1053 yards even though the conditions were perfect. We took off running down the hill and cut the distance to 503 yards at that point. I deployed the bipod and had a good shot into the bear but it had a little movement left so I put a second round into it. That wrapped up an epic day that I'll likely never have again with bagging a deer and bear in the same day.
20240919_091538.jpg

The rest of the hunt was uneventful in regards to elk but did not lack in scenery and a couple grouse that fell to my buckmark and few fish out of the river.
20240921_072354.jpg
20240922_105841.jpg

20240919_184735.jpg

Big shout out to @livetohunt for doing these hunts with me.

The last hunt this went with me on was a couple miles down the road from my house. I found the herd of 70ish elk on opening morning but ended up passing on the bull that made me wonder if I had lost my mind! I went back out that evening and the herd was already out which was really early in the evening. I belly crawled up the crest of the hill and scanned the herd to see if there was anything bigger that I had missed. I did not make the same mistake twice of giving the biggest bull a pass. He was at 400 yards broadside so I dialed up and sent the round that I watched impact, through the scope, in the pocket of the shoulder. He hunched and lurched at the impact. I knew he wouldnt go far but the property 50 yards or so behind him I did not have permission. I put a second round into him which put him down and meant I didnt need to worry about him crossing the line. This was also a special trophy for me since I was able to get my wife, son, and dad out to see it and help me being so close to home.
20241010_172300.jpg
20241010_172000.jpg
20241010_174748.jpg

20241010_214118.jpg

I'm loving this cartridge and will definitely be on most of my elk hunts in the future (especially if my suppressor is ever made).

Last edited: