300wm xbolt help

jRidge1188

Recently acquired a new xbolt 300wm 26" barrel with a 1/10 twist. I mostly deer hunt but am looking to make an elk trip in the future. I have tried numerous different ammo brands and types in the 180gr range with no luck. I have also tried 185 bergers and 190 Barnes LR with no luck. This is all factory ammo as I'm not reloading at this time. I can't get any of this to group better than 1.5" at 100 yds and most of the time it's 2" or a little more. I figured 180s would be the sweet spot for this rifle but can't get it to do well. Any ideas for what to try? 165gr?
Ps. Yes I have checked scope, torque, shooting form, shooting off bags and sled, letting barrel cool etc

Stop using a sled…I don't care what others say, sleds are junk for shooting precision. Use a sled to check zero, then shoot the rifle without it and see where the bullets group…I'll bet it's not the same POI…
Have you had the stock off?
Have you checked for pressure points on the barrel?
Is the barrel free-floated?
All of these factors are often multiplied when using a solid object to shoot from, even a concrete bench can induce recoil bounce…

Cheers.

Recently acquired a new xbolt 300wm 26" barrel with a 1/10 twist. I mostly deer hunt but am looking to make an elk trip in the future. I have tried numerous different ammo brands and types in the 180gr range with no luck. I have also tried 185 bergers and 190 Barnes LR with no luck. This is all factory ammo as I'm not reloading at this time. I can't get any of this to group better than 1.5" at 100 yds and most of the time it's 2" or a little more. I figured 180s would be the sweet spot for this rifle but can't get it to do well. Any ideas for what to try? 165gr?
Ps. Yes I have checked scope, torque, shooting form, shooting off bags and sled, letting barrel cool etc
Try a 168 Berger or a 165 nosler. The 10 twist might not be optimal for those bullets.

Time to get into reloading
image.jpg
image.jpg
IMG_1702.jpeg

Have had 2 x-bolts 300win mag neither one of them would shoot. Best I could ever get was 1.5 and 2 inch three shot groups at 100 yards. All my other 300win mag are 1/2 inch guns at 100 yards even my old a-bolt. So I put a proof barrel on one and the other is sitting in the back of the safe. Never could get reloads or factory ammo to shoot. All my other x-bolts shoot great.

Stop using a sled…I don't care what others say, sleds are junk for shooting precision. Use a sled to check zero, then shoot the rifle without it and see where the bullets group…I'll bet it's not the same POI…
Have you had the stock off?
Have you checked for pressure points on the barrel?
Is the barrel free-floated?
All of these factors are often multiplied when using a solid object to shoot from, even a concrete bench can induce recoil bounce…

Cheers.
I did check and the barrel is free floated but I need to by check it during a range session maybe as the barrel heats a little it potentially could have a contact point?

Get rid of the muzzle brake
Replace it. See what happens😎

Have a friend with a lightweight Tikka in 300 short mag. The heavier the bullet, the worse it shoots for him. He does best with 165 gr fodder. Without someone else shooting it, it's hard to say if it's the shooter or not. A 10tw should be able to shoot most bullets in the 180-200 gr range. Just another thought.

And agree with Magnum, lose the sled.

Recent Posts