300 rum

Wow. That's smokin. I could only get to 91gr at 3062 FPS with a 27" barrel.

It did well with the 245s also, but only at 2832 FPS. Any higher and pockets get soft fast.

Shot the 181gr Hammer Hunter wiht 94gr N570 for 3340 FPS. 178 Absolutes were 97gr at 3347 FPS. These shot very well. I would imagine a little faster powder would do better with the 180 class.

Watch your round count and how fast you are shooting it. My barrel has started to go south at 700+ rounds on it with a steady diet of N570. Not as tight as it used to be, with a flier here and there.
It probably has around 80 rounds through it. I really want to try Retumbo with a 180 Hammer. I'm sure I'll get more speed than I did with H1000.

Since I got all you RUM pirates in one place, what kinda round count were/are you getting on those barrels? I had heard the barrels burn out pretty fast and I decided to go the 300 WM because of it. Was I lied to? Misled? Does the gubermint have a gun owner list? Was Jack Ruby actually Russian?

Now I'm questioning reality...
Rum pirates 😆 My factory barrel had around 500 plus through it. I don't count. I should I guess. It started losing accuracy and I could see the wear on rifling even at end of barrel. I wore out a Ruger M77 mk1 7 mag barrel Long time ago. Probably had over 600 rounds through it. It's rifling was way worse. Bought a stainless Mk2 7mag and took it easy on it. It likes 72.0 grs. Retumbo with a 168 Berger. I rarely shoot it.

I have set up four 300 RUM's and after much work have never had one shoot better than 1.25 moa. Shooting at 500 could get it down to 6" benched and bagged. About the same as 300 Wby. I had to back off to about 2900 with 180 SMK to do that, couldn't get it with Bergers. If you guys are shooting consistent 2.5" groups at 500 there are many sponsors that would take you on. Eric Cortina probably averages over that. I have never saw a hunting rifle ever shoot this well in 60 years, very few customs will do it. Not to pour cold water on you but consider all the guys out there that will be discouraged or pull their hair out trying to replicate this. Try an honest 500 yd, 5 shot group and measure. If this is genuine I would contact Seth Swerczek or Jeff Cramblit at Hornady, I'm sure they they would love to talk to you.
Happy shooting.

I have set up four 300 RUM's and after much work have never had one shoot better than 1.25 moa. Shooting at 500 could get it down to 6" benched and bagged. About the same as 300 Wby. I had to back off to about 2900 with 180 SMK to do that, couldn't get it with Bergers. If you guys are shooting consistent 2.5" groups at 500 there are many sponsors that would take you on. Eric Cortina probably averages over that. I have never saw a hunting rifle ever shoot this well in 60 years, very few customs will do it. Not to pour cold water on you but consider all the guys out there that will be discouraged or pull their hair out trying to replicate this. Try an honest 500 yd, 5 shot group and measure. If this is genuine I would contact Seth Swerczek or Jeff Cramblit at Hornady, I'm sure they they would love to talk to you.
Happy shooting.

Sorry you've not had better luck.

They will do it.

I could care less what the Hornady guys say about my 6th shot out of a hot rifle on a string does. Number one and maybe number two are all that matter.

1726499073959.jpeg

1726499178048.jpeg

1726499202991.jpeg

Shane, about a pound heavier than I like my hunting rifle……but, doable!

How much does she weight fully loaded with the sling…..which is the way it will be in the field!

I "crunched" the recoil numbers for the rifle/load as shown……that shows to be pretty tame on recoil. Should be real sweat to shoot! memtb

Shane, about a pound heavier than I like my hunting rifle……but, doable!

How much does she weight fully loaded with the sling…..which is the way it will be in the field!

I "crunched" the recoil numbers for the rifle/load as shown……that shows to be pretty tame on recoil. Should be real sweat to shoot! memtb
10 # 6oz with sling and three in the box. Not light, but not terrible. This one would go in a pack up a mountain.

I have lighter rifles for stalking. I actually had a 6.5 PRC loaded with rounds and a sling was 7# 11oz, but now it wears a heavier stock at 8# 14oz ready to roll. I gave it a little in the kaboose to shoot a little easier.

10 # 6oz with sling and three in the box. Not light, but not terrible. This one would go in a pack up a mountain.

I have lighter rifles for stalking. I actually had a 6.5 PRC loaded with rounds and a sling was 7# 11oz, but now it wears a heavier stock at 8# 14oz ready to roll. I gave it a little in the kaboose to shoot a little easier.

Ouch…..that's starting to be heavy. When I was younger, tougher…..maybe! But now…..can't do it!

Running the numbers, using your Berger info, that would be very shootable! I'm getting 37.5 ft/lbs recoil with that data.

Mine is on the edge of too much weight @ 9 lbs. 1 oz……all up! memtb

Last edited: