300 rum

When I had the factory 26 in. barrel on my Rem 700, 300 RUM I was getting 3360 fps with Barnes 180 TSX , TTSX and Berger HVLD's. 3630 with 150's but never hunted with them. I put a Bartlien 28 in. 5R Varmint contour barrel on it. Action trued, bigger recoil lug, different firing pin spring. Replaced the Timney trigger with a TriggerTech and got it cerakoted 3 years ago . I have never hunted with it yet because it weighs so much now ! It used to be my go to rifle. I should of put a carbon fiber barrel on it. 🙄 With factory barrel and Retumbo/Barnes 180 TTSX I could shoot 4 shot half inch groups all day. On a bad day 3/4 in.. With new barrel with N570/Berger 215 it's bug holes at 3215 fps ave. Not at pressure.
Same with 180 Hammer Hunter and H1000 3432 ave. fps.
300 Win Mag 180 Hammer w/RL26 3303 Ave.

I'm not too sure about those hammer bullets Just my opinion but don't seem like they would perform
Read up on them, they seem to have a track record of complete passthrough's which I prefer over the Accubond(personal experience). I wish they all fell where they were shot, even hitting them in the vitals. I want a blood trail.

It's a rem 700 26in I was thinking I could get 3300fps with 180Accubonds using RL26 or RL25 , hey Aussie hunter Steve is sounds like your rifle is a straight up winner 0.5 at 1200 absolutely nothing to complain about there that's for sure
You'd likely get 3400 with one of those two powders. I knew a guy that was getting 3400 with 96 of RL25.

Read up on them, they seem to have a track record of complete passthrough's which I prefer over the Accubond(personal experience). I wish they all fell where they were shot, even hitting them in the vitals. I want a blood trail.
Hammers don't have pass thoughs unless close range from what I've experienced in 4 different calibers . Even if do they've shed their pedals and have done damage. I've used a lot of different bullets in a lot of different calibers in the last 47 years. Most work. Some better than others. I've found it's the velocity and distance of what the bullet I capable of. I have some favorites but I use them at I know will work. I won't get into them.

Last edited:
I ran 97grs Retumbo with 180AB's and Sciroccos a long time ago at 26".
Good friend of mine used 98grs.
Performance on deer and pigs was thoroughly impressive.
No brakes back then. Younger and a lot tougher.
I used 99.0 - 100.0 grs Retumbo. Right at pressure. 👍🏻
Later I had a magna brake installed. I shot a lot more accurately with 40% reduced recoil. Made me a believer in brakes since 1996.

I used 99.0 - 100.0 grs Retumbo. Right at pressure. 👍🏻
Later I had a magna brake installed. I shot a lot more accurately with 40% reduced recoil. Made me a believer in brakes since 1996.
I did the same with my first 300 rum. It was a factory Remington with a 26" barrel. I was shooting 100 grains of retumbo with 180 swift sciroccos at 3400 fps. I shot it about two years without a brake then I decided I wasn't man enough and had a gentry Brake installed and I was much more consistent with it.