300 PRC

I've don't have any pics from past 200 but this is finished at 200. Shot it to 1k is furthest I've shot it

Attachments

• 1B305335-E834-44B8-A5C4-8B237DED8B87.jpeg
    1B305335-E834-44B8-A5C4-8B237DED8B87.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 29
Mine didn't shoot Hornady factory super great. I shot a couple boxes for break in. Was shooting inside about 1.5" doing a velocity test with the 245's with a couple different powders at 200 with a v3 strapped. It hated the 250's but the tuner did the trick. Sounds like 2890 with the 250's is doable but I'm only running 2650 with those for 600 target.

Hello all
I was wondering who has experience with the 300 PRC. What are your thoughts and opinions about it? Is it a better option than a 300 win mag for hunting and shooting longer distances? Do you think it will be a cartridge that will stay long term or is it just another fad that will fade out and be hell to find ammo for?
Yes, it is a better option for throwing big pills. I have both, was going to sell the WM but haven't got around to it yet and enjoy shooting both. I want to compare them a little further. I really like the PRC so far no complaints. I haven't loaded or shot any 250s yet it hope to this winter. This leaves the WM filling a niche I no longer need. The 8 twist on the PRC…jeez I can't wait to try those!

The only drawback that I've found pushing the bigger bullets fast is the recoil. I'm able to see dust fly but it's literally knocked my earmuffs off my head if I'm relaxing and trying to spot my impacts. The Mesa LR is on the heavy side and I have the heavy vortex gen2 plus the tmb tuner is heavy and reduces the recoil pretty good. I wouldn't want to pack this combination around in some extreme fashion. I might try some lighter solids in the future

The only drawback that I've found pushing the bigger bullets fast is the recoil. I'm able to see dust fly but it's literally knocked my earmuffs off my head if I'm relaxing and trying to spot my impacts. The Mesa LR is on the heavy side and I have the heavy vortex gen2 plus the tmb tuner is heavy and reduces the recoil pretty good. I wouldn't want to pack this combination around in some extreme fashion. I might try some lighter solids in the future
I shoot those same pills out of my 300 RUM right around 100fps faster, with a brake from KS arms and recoil isn't bad at all. If the ground will allow for it I don't have issues seeing impacts.

If you want to shoot heavy bullets, step into the 338. The extra 50 grains makes a world of difference in wind and recoil isn't much greater. IMO, the 300 PRC isn't a cartridge for the 250s anyway. I think the next step up would be best. The 300 NM, 300 RUM, 300 WBY or Nosler maybe. The 230s seem to be the heaviest for the 300 PRC for optimum performance. Just my opinion tho.

If you want to shoot heavy bullets, step into the 338. The extra 50 grains makes a world of difference in wind and recoil isn't much greater. IMO, the 300 PRC isn't a cartridge for the 250s anyway. I think the next step up would be best. The 300 NM, 300 RUM, 300 WBY or Nosler maybe. The 230s seem to be the heaviest for the 300 PRC for optimum performance. Just my opinion tho.
That was my opinion to. I have my 300 RUM shooting the 245's and they work great. I kind of cant wait to burn this barrel out so I can go to a 338 edge.

I don't know, I've had 4 300 win mags through the years and only the last one had a brake. Shooting one without a brake is the very limit of my recoil skill. If I had to put an honest # on the difference between the 2 for myself, I felt very confident out to 800 yards inside a pie plate with the win mag and I'd say the prc is 1000. Lots of guys shoot better than me but I'd say the prc with the way I have it is comfortable to shoot 50 rds and if I'm paying attention, I can spot my shots. So far, I haven't missed a first round shot at 1000 and I think the heavier bullets help. Will be shooting some angles out to 1090 after hunting season and feeling pretty good about it. I think anything more and the gun or me would have to gain some weight lol. Either one of you guys near western or eastern Washington are definitely welcome to get together and do some shooting with me, I'm still working 40hrs but working 4 10's so have a couple days available