.300 Blackout vs 5.56

$320 for a PSA upper probably isn't bad for a "budget" 6.5G, right? (Please say "yes", I just bought one!)

I agree that this should be viewed as a precision round...the 6.5G is new to me and I want to play around with it a bit before taking the full plunge financially. And I've had really good luck with PSA in the past.

You do you. Whatever makes you happy. If it shoots, it shoots. If it doesn't now you have an excuse to tinker with it.

If you have a few AR's sitting around collecting dust like I did...pitch the 5.56 tomatoe stake and hang a 6.5 G barrel (and bolt) in it!

There are a couple barrel companies that have good reputations that can be had for a good price. Just use all you existing upper parts, less the 5.56 bolt. You should be able to save a few coins to buy bullets with!

IMO - The 6.5 Grendel is the best kept secret in the AR world when it comes to hunting!

$320 for a PSA upper probably isn't bad for a "budget" 6.5G, right? (Please say "yes", I just bought one!)

I agree that this should be viewed as a precision round...the 6.5G is new to me and I want to play around with it a bit before taking the full plunge financially. And I've had really good luck with PSA in the past.
I built all of my uppers, the Johnny Cash method..."one piece at a time". They cost alot more than $320, but the parts are all top-notch.

3F81866D-6FFB-4403-AD4E-6C7E928379AF.jpeg

Sorry gents, I couldn't hear anyone over the sound of my 50 BMG AR15. Excuse me while I go shoot $5 bills from it.

.223/5.56 i would go with the Wylde chamber. That caliber option plinking and small game.
My own choice would be 6.5 Grendel if i would have only one gun/upper.
Go for both calibers with their own uppers.

I have 5 different uppers now and love them all for different reasons/ usages. The 16" 556 is my home defense rifle, the 20" 556 is my varmint rifle, the 16" 300 BO is my close quarters deer rifle, the 20" 6.5 Grendel is my mid range deer rifle and the 18" 450 Bushmaster is for deer and hogs and just plain old fun.

Didn't read the whole thread but I was in the same boat for a while...LOVE my 300BO, I do reload so it's cheap for me...taken several good size deer out to 300yd. 5.56 is legal here in my state to harvest deer, I just like the versatility of the 300BO.

I have since switched over to 6.5 Grendel in an AR15 platform. It covers a multitude of applications with GREAT ballistics for the platform, very little recoil, I love it just as much as the 300BO. Just throwing it out there...:)

Ideally 300 black was designed to run suppressed. it excels with 200-230gr bullets suppressed out to 150yds with good handloads. With 110-125gr ballistic tips its a great medium game cartridge out to 300yds with a 16-18"1-8 twist barrel. Brass is cheaper now than it was when it hit the market so its personal preference and no more expenseive than bottle neck hunting ammo. I run it suppressed for deer out to 100 yds in wooded areas where I live. and for varmints. But for more range time and fun and if your in a state you can hunt small to medium game with .223 I would use .223. A lot of good bullets that will really perform well in it. 64ge SP are deer slayers with shot placement and at 3000 fps they dump enough energy to leave a sizable wound channel. and 68gr- 77gr BTHP and Sierra TMKs will really reach out for varmint or ringing steel. Ive found the 1-8 twist the best barrel twist to support plinking and heavier hunting bullets with 18-22" barrels.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.