.300 Blackout vs 5.56

There's a guy over in accurate shooter selling 6.5 Grendel uppers for $250 a pop. Doesn't get better than that.

I have stayed away from 300 BLK, just due to fact a 300 BLK can chamber in a 556/223. With young shooters around, I just don't want to risk it......If I ever do get one, The 300 BLK Upper will look so different that confusion shouldn't happen. Just a thought when you have both uppers and one lower.

I just built a upper with a Oden Works 18" mid length gas 8" twist 223 Whild (SP?) chamber. Shoots sub MOA with about everything I have tried so far. The Whild chamber is supposed to be the best of both worlds better accuracy of the 223 Rem and handle pressure of 5.56. Yes for everyday plinking and varmints and in a pinch with really precise bullet placement with a proper constructed 60ish gr bullet at under 200 yards deer rifle. But here is another vote for 6.5 Grendel if you want a really good AR15 platform longer range varmint, target and medium game rifle. It uses a different bolt and magazine than the 223/300BO but everything else is the same.

("There's a guy over in accurate shooter selling 6.5 Grendel uppers for $250 a pop. Doesn't get better than that.")

I was always taught if it sounds too good to be true then it usually is not true. If this is a complete upper then I would stay away from it. That cheep it has to have a Bear Creek Arsenal barrel and it is a crap shoot if you get one that will shoot and keep bullets on a pie plate at 100 yards. Been there done that and have the Tshirt.

[QUOTE="RT2506, post: 1476327,

("There's a guy over in accurate shooter selling 6.5 Grendel uppers for $250 a pop. Doesn't get better than that.")

I was always taught if it sounds too good to be true then it usually is not true. If this is a complete upper then I would stay away from it. That cheep it has to have a Bear Creek Arsenal barrel and it is a crap shoot if you get one that will shoot and keep bullets on a pie plate at 100 yards. Been there done that and have the Tshirt.[/QUOTE]

Lol it actually is!! Haha great guess.

I have all of the calibers discussed here so far. I also have some that aren't. I will list my calibers at the end of this. But out of them all my favorite to hunt with is a 6.8spc II. My favorite just to shoot paper or steel with is the 300 B/O. It is also my first choice for a hog gun as it gives me many DRT and is still a lightweight rifle.

Now my uppers :):
AR15:

204 ruger 24" Bull bbl (for coyotes and rodents up to 400 yards)
25 WSSM (almost as fast as my 257 WBY Mag guns with mild recoil and great on deer)
45 acp (for fun)
6.8spc II (lightweight with low recoil and will take down most game inside 300 yards)
450 Bushmaster (great deer, bear and hog upper to 200 yards or to just blow things up)
6.5 Grendel 18" Hvy BBL. (Flat shooter but tends to wound game outside 200 yards)

AR10:
300 WSM (my elk gun) 24" Bull Bbl (Custom chambered by Mtn. Arms in California)
308 heavy 24" barrel for targets at long range
308 16" carbine (fun and easy to carry)
243 18" heavy taper (Great all around caliber)
338 Federal 20" standard taper (great for hunting anything in the lower 48)
260 Remington 24" hvy bbl. (my favorite for long range target shooting)

I also reload for 32 different calibers as it is a great hobby for us old retired guys and keeps me ready for any outing.

Just my 10 Cents worth of ramblings! :D

There are a number of good replies here so I hope my recommendation does not fall prey to the volume of comments. Having said that I have a number of 556 and 300 black guns many of which are SBRs most of which are suppressed and one integrally suppressed. In fact I have too many and have been selling some of them.

If I were going to buy one gun that did what you wanted:

*punch paper
*kill deer and varmint

I would go after an 18" barrel 6.5 Grendel.

KISS

*punch paper
*kill deer and varmint

KISS[/QUOTE]

Exactly!

The 223 caliber is a great start. I agree with the 223 Wylde barrel as it shoots the 223 Rem and 5.56 NATO without any worries. After that there is a slew of other calibers. I'm on the 224 Valkyrie. So have fun and enjoy

There's a guy over in accurate shooter selling 6.5 Grendel uppers for $250 a pop. Doesn't get better than that.
I would stay away from that... $250 for a complete 6.5G upper means you're probably going to get a barrel that shoots minute of barn door...

Personal opinion, 6.5G is a precision round and hunting, not meant to be the cheapest thing you can find.

There are a number of good replies here so I hope my recommendation does not fall prey to the volume of comments. Having said that I have a number of 556 and 300 black guns many of which are SBRs most of which are suppressed and one integrally suppressed. In fact I have too many and have been selling some of them.

*punch paper
*kill deer and varmint

KISS

I would go 20" for the extra velocity.

I have both 18" and 20" both shoot great but I run the exact same ammo out of both and easily see nearly 100fps gain with the longer barrel.

I also agree with Mud...some of the less expensive uppers out there have issues. Short throat is very common, so is 4 to 5 MOA at 100yds.

I got super lucky buy two super cheap barrels that both easily shoot MOA out to 400yds. I'm not going to suggest you might have the same luck.

I converted two AR's I already had in the safe...both had not seen daylight in years.
One 5.56 bull barrel...shot great, but I dis-like the chambering badly!

The other 7.62X39...it had seen some action on WT deer, Blackbuck Antelope and hogs. But I never trusted the accuracy of it so I limited my range.

I will have one of the Grendel's with me nearly every trip into the deer woods this fall.

That's how impressed I am with this cartridge!

I would stay away from that... $250 for a complete 6.5G upper means you're probably going to get a barrel that shoots minute of barn door...

Personal opinion, 6.5G is a precision round and hunting, not meant to be the cheapest thing you can find.

$320 for a PSA upper probably isn't bad for a "budget" 6.5G, right? (Please say "yes", I just bought one!)

I agree that this should be viewed as a precision round...the 6.5G is new to me and I want to play around with it a bit before taking the full plunge financially. And I've had really good luck with PSA in the past.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.