30-30 for elk?

This is not based on experience just physics. A 30-30 is a 308 Win is a 30-06 is 300 Win Mag it is simple a matter of distance. X bullet traveling at Y velocity at Z distance doesn't care how it got to the elk, nor does the elk. Velocity at impact along with the bullet's construction characteristics are what matters.

Hammer bullets have a minimum impact velocity of 1800 fps and assuming a 2100 fps muzzle velocity your max range is about ~ 100 yards. Hornady does not list a minimum impact velocity but it could be less given the FTX tip and the Hornady has a slightly better BC so you might have a little more range. Based on your post though, 100 yards may be plenty.
The amount of people that don't understand this is baffling.

Hornady Leverations are better for lever guns as they give you slightly better velocities at the same ranges of the flat nose rounds. I bought my first lever gun at age 14, yes it was a day or 2 ago being born during WWII. The flat nose rounds harvested effectively within humane ranges. Lethality and common sense with a 30-30 will take an elk.

Elk size game require a minimum of 1500 ft-lb of energy in a projectile delivered to a vital area.

While I have read this many times over the years, and I have also read that deer require 1000 ft-lbs. Nothing could be further from the truth, there is no minimum energy requirement! The "requirement" is that a well constructed bullet is placed in a vital area with enough energy to get the job done. I'll bet there have been a pile of elk killed with cartridges that barely generate 1500ft-lbs at the muzzle. Are there better cartridges for elk, of course but that doesn't eliminate the others. Used within the parameters the OP mentioned the .30-30 will get the job done if the shooter is up to the task.