30/30 Based Wildcats in a Contender

tred1956

**I have been told that the Set back dies were made by Paul Bike not Butch Lambert. I have PM in to Butch to verify. Will let everyone know as soon as I find out. Could be either on as my memory is NOT what it used to be
Sorry for any confusion**

Dies were made by Paul Becigneul pbike257. I can PM contact email to anyone who needs it. My apologies to Butch, don't know how I got confused
Sorry for any confusion
Doug

Read a thread on another forum and figured the folks here would like it as well. 30/30 based wildcats are perfect for the Contender format. Here are some. In the first photo case on left is based on 225 Win and the rest are 30/30 based. Second photo shows 25 Bullberry, 7/30 Waters IMP and 30/30 Ackley IMP that are 30/30 based. Third picture shows 219 Zipper and 219 Donaldson Wasp. Fourth picture 6mm BB IMP & 6.5mm BB IMP . Feel free to add your favorite
Safe shooting
Doug

Last edited:
Dies were made by Paul Becigneul pbike257. I can PM contact email to anyone who needs it. But I will share this with you. If you are going to form ANY 30/30 based Wildcats, you NEED one of these. 30/30 based set back die set (SEE PICTURE) . Butch makes them and they are a Lifesaver. I can form any 30/30 based wildcat down to 17 caliber, any length, with virtually NO wasted cases. I LOVE IT The quality is Superb. Buy one and you will wonder how you ever lived without it. All you need is the final full size die for your cartridge to finish the last step of forming.
Safe Shooting
Doug

Last edited:
Can you explain how those work?
Assemble body die with proper bushing inserted (243 for 6mm BB IMP) and top screwed snuggly down. Then insert a finished (fired in your gun) case into press and lower handle to top of stroke. Screw die with proper bushing into press until it contacts your formed and fired case. Lower press handle and screw die down 1/6 of an inch, then lock body die down. This is trial and error. Remove proper size bushing from die and replace with your first step size bushing, dropped in with funnel side down. Then top part of die is screw into body die until it is tight. Run all cases through with this setup. Next remove die and drop to next smaller size and run all cases again. Repeat until required neck size is achieved. Then run through Full sizing die of proper caliber and trim to length. I am not much at instructions and this is not near as difficult as it sounds. Hope this helps
Safe shooting
Doug

Assemble body die with proper bushing inserted (243 for 6mm BB IMP) and top screwed snuggly down. Then insert a finished (fired in your gun) case into press and lower handle to top of stroke. Screw die with proper bushing into press until it contacts your formed and fired case. Lower press handle and screw die down 1/6 of an inch, then lock body die down. This is trial and error. Remove proper size bushing from die and replace with your first step size bushing, dropped in with funnel side down. Then top part of die is screw into body die until it is tight. Run all cases through with this setup. Next remove die and drop to next smaller size and run all cases again. Repeat until required neck size is achieved. Then run through Full sizing die of proper caliber and trim to length. I am not much at instructions and this is not near as difficult as it sounds. Hope this helps
Safe shooting
Doug
Let us know the price as well if you can.

Let us know the price as well if you can.
If I remember correctly with the addition of the 20 & 17 bushings it was about $200 BUT that was in 2017 so I don't know what they would cost. I mean everything else has went through the roof. LOL If you need Paul email Please send me a PM
Safe shooting
Doug

I have owned a 6.5x30JDJ for years. Works great, great brass life as well. I have read for years how superior the 225 based wildcats are in a Contender. The 225 is supposed to have far superior brass life. I have not found this to be true. Way back when (Over 30 years ago) I saw the writing on the wall that 225 brass would be hard to get at some point. That is why I went the 6.5x30JDJ route. If doing this again, I would still get the 30-30 based version. It has always worked well, and has no issues at all.

Bob R