Contender: Getting the 7-30 Waters going….

@Rosebud Thanks for your explanation. I think I'd rather just keep cutting springs and then dialing out the creep.

I had a bad experience on another rifle where I used the sear engagement adjustment to adjust weight. It caused the rifle to be unstable cocking where some variation in the action would make it cock ok one time and then fall off the sear unexpectedly the next time. Never happened while loaded, but I learned what too little sear engagement does. You might study that yourself. Maybe it doesn't apply to the Contender or your Contender…..

Good luck. Stay safe.

I've got a box with 80 count I'd part with if you're interested. I was shooting these from a 7mm BR which I no longer have.
This ^^^ Bullet IS, the very Best Bullet that, I've found, in my 21 inch, 7 X 30 Waters Rifle, also !
Explosive on Big Game "Internals" ( like, a Berger ) and you can get just under, 1 MOA accuracy at,.. 2,600 to 2,700 FPS with, the proper Powder.
I wouldn't Trust, the 140 Bergers to "Work" at these, Lower Velocities, either. ( And I LOVE 140 gr. Berger's, in My .270 WSM ! )
Hopefully, you can find Data for, Varget as it's quite Temp, "Stable" ( I've used, H414 in mine ).
Good Luck ! PS;.. Give Buttermilk a Hug, for parting with, those Bullets !

You can adjust that top screw(sear engagement) a good bit and it will feel lighter. Just do not take it so far to be unsafe!

Rather than CUT the factory trigger return spring for lighter pull, i use a spring out of a Bic lighter in its place. Cut/test until you get desired results. Cut it longer than the factory spring, as its much softer than the original.
Then…..you always have a spare unmolested factory spring anytime you want/need to put it back as from factory.

120 nos or vmax and rl15 always had great luck These are the only 2 I have pics of
IMG_1412.jpeg
IMG_2452.jpeg

Just finished fireforming….5.5gr of titegroup was the right amount, it seems. 4 was just a bit low, cbtd stabilized at 5.5gr.

Brass was once fired, but annealed before sizing the false neck and annealed before loading. I lost 6 of 80….that surprised me.

Sending it off for a T'SOB Mount.

Attachments

• IMG_9732.jpeg
    IMG_9732.jpeg
    439.1 KB · Views: 9
Hornady
Interlock 139 btsp
Interlock 139 SP
SST 139 btsp
VMAX 120gr

Speer
HotCor 130gr

Berger
VLD Hunting 140gr

Well this is really all that is available now. Sure I can get all copper bullets, but that really is not appropriate for 2300fps - 2400fps. I think I'll start with the Vmax 120's. They seem to have a pretty good rep.

Barrel is in getting drilled for the T'SOB Mount. Should be back in a week or so. Then onto finding max!