280AI

Building a 280 AI on a savage 110. Currently waiting on the barrel. Anyone using R 26 and the 162 eldm? I have a ton of both.

Can't wait to get my 280ai done! Hopefully this Defiance buyout hasn't pushed it back any farther than it already was, ordered April 12th 2022 with a tentative finish date of March 1 this year. Sent my stock back to Mesa to re-inlet for a proof carbon I picked up and now postal service has lost it🤬. My luck! Action will probably be done before that gets worked out! None the less I have everything waiting for it from pills to powders and glass when it's done!

Do not have details handy but H-1000 seems to be more consistent than H-4831. In other words, doesn't wander as much with my elderly shooting habits. Both have the ability to hit a 1" dot at 100 yards. Don't have any experience with the Hornady bullets yet which is why i was complaining as i did not want to go through the hassle.

I have 3 browning 280 AI's 2 have 24" barrels and 1 is 26". All shoot well with barnes 145 lrx bullets and hammers. In two years, 4 elk and 1 buck have made it to the freezer. Velocity has been excellent with R-19, H4350. This week I just picked up a kimber 280 AI to lighten up the carry weight to maybe 7 lbs. The brownings are all about 8 lbs. Luckily i had a sockpile of 280 rem brass that I've been fireforming. The hammers have been very fast, but I've found dropping down 100 fps from max has produced the best accuracy. Also, a slight crimp has proven to improve accuracy also.

Im getting about 3100fps with a 140g AH with H4350. Kinda dissapointed... but I hit pressure around 3200
I hit pressure with absolute 140 at 3300, but my best groups were at just under 3200. All three browning did the same thing. Brass life is much better at under 3200 too.

I hit pressure with absolute 140 at 3300, but my best groups were at just under 3200. All three browning did the same thing. Brass life is much better at under 3200 too.
I expected to hit at least 3300 but had a sticky extraction as I approached there.
26in bbl, very dissapointed. Not certain at all why based on others experiences.
Im settling with a safe load at 3100fps and calling it good. All I can do.

I expected to hit at least 3300 but had a sticky extraction as I approached there.
26in bbl, very dissapointed. Not certain at all why based on others experiences.
Im settling with a safe load at 3100fps and calling it good. All I can do.
I got an extra 100 fps with 130 absolute hammers and I can attest that they performed well on two cow elk. Shot placement was slightly off on both animals, but neither moved or took another step after being hit. A friend borrowed my spare rifle for one and I used my primary rifle. Both shots were over 350 yds. I have been using Nosler brass as it is available, but I hear Peterson brass is much better at not showing pressure at elevated velocities.

I got an extra 100 fps with 130 absolute hammers and I can attest that they performed well on two cow elk. Shot placement was slightly off on both animals, but neither moved or took another step after being hit. A friend borrowed my spare rifle for one and I used my primary rifle. Both shots were over 350 yds. I have been using Nosler brass as it is available, but I hear Peterson brass is much better at not showing pressure at elevated velocities.
Im too invested in the 140s to switch for a mere velocity gain. Its interesting that im using Nosler brass.... Ill keep an eye out for Peterson but feel im very lucky to even have any brass right now.

Im too invested in the 140s to switch for a mere velocity gain. Its interesting that im using Nosler brass.... Ill keep an eye out for Peterson but feel im very lucky to even have any brass right now.
Wonder if the Petersen brass and H100V is making the difference for me? I was totally shocked at the velocity I got out of a 23" barrel. Defiance Deviant and good brass I'm sure also help.