280 AI Reloder 16

Will do. May be some time next week before I get to do much shooting between work and our deer season opener this weekend.
On the loading side, got to do a little last night. Started at the suggested 58.0 grains and loaded 10 rds in .5 gr increments. Here to tell ya from about 60.0 and up that case is mighty full. Used a drop tube for last 3. I'm perfectly ok with crush fit though, I have one I have to vibrate the powder into the case with an old vibratory tooth brush. High hopes for RL 16 and these 131 gr hvy hammers.

On the loading side, got to do a little last night. Started at the suggested 58.0 grains and loaded 10 rds in .5 gr increments. Here to tell ya from about 60.0 and up that case is mighty full. Used a drop tube for last 3. I'm perfectly ok with crush fit though, I have one I have to vibrate the powder into the case with an old vibratory tooth brush. High hopes for RL 16 and these 131 gr hvy hammers.
I'm looking forward to the results. 60 and up definitely right at compressed loads. Might have overlooked but what primers are you using with RL16? Thanks

I'm looking forward to the results. 60 and up definitely right at compressed loads. Might have overlooked but what primers are you using with RL16? Thanks
GM215M. I found with other hammer bullets that I got lower ES and SD and subsequently more consistent loads with magnum primers vs large rifle.

I have a 280 AI Randy Fite custom rifle that I shoot 140 grain Accubonds w/7828ssc 62.5 grains of powder at 3151fps. I have nearly 1,000 rounds thru it w/maybe 600 harvested animals in Texas, Mexico and 4 trips to Africa. Never had to shoot twice at an animal. Combination can't be beat.

I have a 280 AI Randy Fite custom rifle that I shoot 140 grain Accubonds w/7828ssc 62.5 grains of powder at 3151fps. I have nearly 1,000 rounds thru it w/maybe 600 harvested animals in Texas, Mexico and 4 trips to Africa. Never had to shoot twice at an animal. Combination can't be beat.
I have a standard 280 Rem that shoots the 140 gr ABs extremely well. Like you say, never needed a follow up. Never recovered a bullet but always had good blood "if" they ran. Never handloaded for it cuz it would put 5 federal premiums under a nickel. They discontinued that load so I have a couple boxes of Accubonds for when factories run out.

Ok, started test firing stage of load development today. Loaded 10 rds in .5 gr increments from 58.0 gr thru 62.5. Velocities were as follows:
58.0 - 3281 fps
58.5 - 3330
59.0 - 3355 (light ejector mark)
59.5 - 3390 (hvy ejct mark sticky bolt) 🛑
Note: Even with the .5 gr increments it was forming a nice .75" group.
Gonna back up to 58.5 and load 5 rds and see what it'll do. I can definitely live with that speed if it'll shoot em tight.

Ok, started test firing stage of load development today. Loaded 10 rds in .5 gr increments from 58.0 gr thru 62.5. Velocities were as follows:
58.0 - 3281 fps
58.5 - 3330
59.0 - 3355 (light ejector mark)
59.5 - 3390 (hvy ejct mark sticky bolt) 🛑
Note: Even with the .5 gr increments it was forming a nice .75" group.
Gonna back up to 58.5 and load 5 rds and see what it'll do. I can definitely live with that speed if it'll shoot em tight.
this is with what bullet? and this is using RL16?

I have 240 rds through this one. I tried RL26 with the 168 Bergers but thought it would be way too slow for the mid range bullets. I'm gonna try the 16 with the 131s but I'm gonna keep that 26 in mind. Accuracy has improved with round count just not where it should be in my mind. Feel like I'm on the right track with it and will post results as I get the opportunity to load and test.
I found my best start for seating to be at .065 off the lands. At .020 off, I was having velocity craziness. This is a SAAMI chamber on mine.
Watch for donuts if you run Nosler brass.
Charge on!

I found my best start for seating to be at .065 off the lands. At .020 off, I was having velocity craziness. This is a SAAMI chamber on mine.
Watch for donuts if you run Nosler brass.
Charge on!
I'm seated to the first band on the bullet for crimping which is .052 off the lands in my rifle. Mine is SAAMI as well. I prefer the Peterson brass but the last time I spoke with them they only ran it once a year and they were out of stock.