280 AI: 22” vs 24” barrel length

Maybe its the load, and I did check it's a 22 inch barrel so that's going to loose a little velocity. For me I would want a 26 inch barrel and then probably a 1/8 twist to see how a 280ai could push a 195 Berger. Probably would have to go to fast with that bullets BC.

Staball 6.5. Ive searched a bunch on this over the years and have not found all that many instances of folks chopping barrels and chronoing the same loads in the same barrel. I wish more would.

One gent online did it with a 223 and a 308 i think. It was interesting to see the losses are not at all linear. Theres length ranges that lose far less per inch than others.
That's good info. I recently picked up an 8lb jug of S.B.6.5

I'm building another 280AI and I'm debating on 20", 22", or 24". I currently have 2 with 24" but plan on selling one when this project is complete. The new one will be for backpack hunting so weight and size are a primary factor, but I don't want to sacrifice too much velocity.

I would love to spin up a barrel and do the "ballistics by the inch" test for science, but can't justify eating all the cost myself. If someone had a donor barrel or set up a go fund me, then maybe it could happen. :)

Any updates on this?
Finally had a chance to shoot the 18" barrel over my Xero (with TBAC ultra 5). Averaged 3025fps over 10 shots. 143HHs over RL23. Not super happy with the spread and the grouping was fair (about 1moa at 200). Pretty light load still, so I'll load up a ladder test this week. Usually the Hammers have tightened up for me as I push them harder. Going to try out some HHTs this time.
IMG_3402.png

Finally had a chance to shoot the 18" barrel over my Xero (with TBAC ultra 5). Averaged 3025fps over 10 shots. 143HHs over RL23. Not super happy with the spread and the grouping was fair (about 1moa at 200). Pretty light load still, so I'll load up a ladder test this week. Usually the Hammers have tightened up for me as I push them harder. Going to try out some HHTs this time.

Very interesting. Thanks for the info. I was almost decided to stick with a 24 and use a folding chassis, but this has me rethinking that plan.

Just to be clear, are you nearly matching velocities with your 22" barrel gun? Are you using similar loads in the two?

Just to be clear, are you nearly matching velocities with your 22" barrel gun? Are you using similar loads in the two?
I'm about 150fps shy right now but I'm burning three grains less powder. If I don't pressure out, I expect I'll close that gap significantly. As a side note, I'm only at 40 rounds on the 18", so definitely hasn't sped up yet. I'm around 500 rounds on the 22" and that was a fast barrel from the start.

I have a Winchester Featherweight XTR with 22" barrel rechambered to 280AI.
My Oehler 35p recorded:

Barnes 110gn TTSX @ 3360fps
Barnes 120gn TTSX @ 3220fps
Hornady 139gn SPBT @ 3130fps
Barnes 140gn TSX @ 3210fps
Barnes 145gn LRX @ 3050fps
Nosler 150gn BT @ 3080fps
Nosler 150gn Partition @ 3000fps
Hornady 154gn SP @ 2960fps
Nosler 160gn Accubond @ 2950fps
Nosler 160gn Partition @ 2940fps
Hornady 162gn ELDX @ 2920fps
Nosler 175gn Accubond @ 2890fps
Nosler 175gn Partition @ 2900fps

Remington 280 factory loads:
140gn PSP = 2764 fps
165gn Extended Range = 2631fps

Obviously some were not the most accurate loads tested, but several bullets held accuracy at near maximum loads.
Brass has been loaded 6 times so far.

Hope this is a help.

Here something I was a little shocked to see. One fellow was using the savage ultra light in 280AI with 140 TTSX bullets and using book loading. His max velocity was only 2950 range on a 140. That's not that much better than my 7mm-08. He was using 100V powder. The extreme spread was really good on a lot of the groups he was shooting but not making 3K with a 140. Kind of sucks to me. I thought a 280AI was much more than that. Also could be a slow barrel. I don't know what barrel length savage puts on those but I thought a 280AI was really nipping the heals of a 7mag. Most 7mags push a 168 right around 3k that I've seen with 26 inch barrels I might add. I'll have to check the savage website and see what the barrel length is for those guns. Watch it be 22 inches😒 cause that may explain it then.
Yeah my 280 AI's smoke those numbers. My wife's is a Kimber Montana. Shoots 160 grain Accubonds at 3028 fps avg. 24" barrel. McWhorter custom has a 26" barrel. 2980 fps avg with 175 grain Berger Elite Hunter. It's a helluva elk rifle!

That's good info. I recently picked up an 8lb jug of S.B.6.5

I'm building another 280AI and I'm debating on 20", 22", or 24". I currently have 2 with 24" but plan on selling one when this project is complete. The new one will be for backpack hunting so weight and size are a primary factor, but I don't want to sacrifice too much velocity.
Id go 20". The velocity loss is nothing you will truly need and the ease of handling in rough and or brushy country will have u feeling pretty happy with urself for it.

As far as velocity for barrel length I think of it this way, how many guns have u had where best accuracy/velocity with that bullet/powder combo was not as fast as you wanted? Happens all the time right? Theres no promise that couple inches of barrel will get u any more usable velocity. 50fps? Like what will that do? Change ur max range from like 890 yards to 930? Lol

Id go 20". The velocity loss is nothing you will truly need and the ease of handling in rough and or brushy country will have u feeling pretty happy with urself for it.

As far as velocity for barrel length I think of it this way, how many guns have u had where best accuracy/velocity with that bullet/powder combo was not as fast as you wanted? Happens all the time right? Theres no promise that couple inches of barrel will get u any more usable velocity. 50fps? Like what will that do? Change ur max range from like 890 yards to 930? Lol
That's where I landed. I have a 20" x-caliber carbon on the way.

Recent Posts