280 AI: 22” vs 24” barrel length

That's like me and retumbo but I've seen retumbo back on the shelves every once in a while. I need me one of those 8lb jugs to put my collection of retumbo in and then mix it all up. To try and even out the difference you might see from one pound to another. Some have the same lot numbers so those I would think will be the same or should be the same. Most of mine is pre Covid also. I may have picked up 2 lbs during Covid when I was searching but most is pre Covid. I guess I need to fire up the 300 RUM again😏 for a little long range.

I think a lil too much agonizing can go into these decisions because in the end the only thing that really matters is what load YOUR rifle likes and what speed it is shooting at.
A fast 280 will be shooting the same or very close speeds to a slow to middling 280 AI, and so it is with barrel lengths as well. Ive owned two of the exact same rifle and one shoots the same bullet 90 fps faster and takes an additional grain of powder before signs of pressure.

I recently shortened barrels on 3 rifles but have only chronod one so far. Went from 26" to 20" and lost 15fps! Its a documented thing, ive read about it from a few sources. As i understand it Sometimes once peak speed is reached the individual bore starts to drag on the bullet n u actually cease to gain any more speed.

At any rate my reccomendation is jus pick whichever one makes ur happier and start workin up loads.

I think a lil too much agonizing can go into these decisions because in the end the only thing that really matters is what load YOUR rifle likes and what speed it is shooting at.
A fast 280 will be shooting the same or very close speeds to a slow to middling 280 AI, and so it is with barrel lengths as well. Ive owned two of the exact same rifle and one shoots the same bullet 90 fps faster and takes an additional grain of powder before signs of pressure.

I recently shortened barrels on 3 rifles but have only chronod one so far. Went from 26" to 20" and lost 15fps! Its a documented thing, ive read about it from a few sources. As i understand it Sometimes once peak speed is reached the individual bore starts to drag on the bullet n u actually cease to gain any more speed.

At any rate my reccomendation is jus pick whichever one makes ur happier and start workin up loads.
What powder was that? That is certainly not the norm.

What powder was that? That is certainly not the norm.
Staball 6.5. Ive searched a bunch on this over the years and have not found all that many instances of folks chopping barrels and chronoing the same loads in the same barrel. I wish more would.

One gent online did it with a 223 and a 308 i think. It was interesting to see the losses are not at all linear. Theres length ranges that lose far less per inch than others.

Staball 6.5. Ive searched a bunch on this over the years and have not found all that many instances of folks chopping barrels and chronoing the same loads in the same barrel. I wish more would.

One gent online did it with a 223 and a 308 i think. It was interesting to see the losses are not at all linear. Theres length ranges that lose far less per inch than others.
Every thing I have seen shows 25 fps
Ish per inch which is pretty much what I have seen personally.

That's like me and retumbo but I've seen retumbo back on the shelves every once in a while. I need me one of those 8lb jugs to put my collection of retumbo in and then mix it all up. To try and even out the difference you might see from one pound to another. Some have the same lot numbers so those I would think will be the same or should be the same. Most of mine is pre Covid also. I may have picked up 2 lbs during Covid when I was searching but most is pre Covid. I guess I need to fire up the 300 RUM again😏 for a little long range.
This is what I have used for years…better than factory jug, IMO

Attachments

• IMG_6241.png
    IMG_6241.png
    451.7 KB · Views: 20
As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
Here something I was a little shocked to see. One fellow was using the savage ultra light in 280AI with 140 TTSX bullets and using book loading. His max velocity was only 2950 range on a 140. That's not that much better than my 7mm-08. He was using 100V powder. The extreme spread was really good on a lot of the groups he was shooting but not making 3K with a 140. Kind of sucks to me. I thought a 280AI was much more than that. Also could be a slow barrel. I don't know what barrel length savage puts on those but I thought a 280AI was really nipping the heals of a 7mag. Most 7mags push a 168 right around 3k that I've seen with 26 inch barrels I might add. I'll have to check the savage website and see what the barrel length is for those guns. Watch it be 22 inches😒 cause that may explain it then.

Here something I was a little shocked to see. One fellow was using the savage ultra light in 280AI with 140 TTSX bullets and using book loading. His max velocity was only 2950 range on a 140. That's not that much better than my 7mm-08. He was using 100V powder. The extreme spread was really good on a lot of the groups he was shooting but not making 3K with a 140. Kind of sucks to me. I thought a 280AI was much more than that. Also could be a slow barrel. I don't know what barrel length savage puts on those but I thought a 280AI was really nipping the heals of a 7mag. Most 7mags push a 168 right around 3k that I've seen with 26 inch barrels I might add. I'll have to check the savage website and see what the barrel length is for those guns. Watch it be 22 inches😒 cause that may explain it then.
Sub 3k fps with a 140 is slow based on my experience. I have 24" running suppressed and easily get 3100 without any problems with 140 class bullets. When I wear out the current barrel, I will be replacing with a 22".

Recent Posts