28 Nosler COAL problem

That sounds like exactly what I want! Does your SR2 have a 3.78 action opening too? Does the 3.85 mag work without altering the action? And what brand bottom metal and magazine did you use? Sorry for all the questions, Feenix, I'm just excited and doing my due diligence. I just was unaware if the 3.85 magazine would fit in the 3.78 hole in the bottom of the action. Is this due to the 3.85 mag length counting the flange or something that sits below the action, and the top part of the magazine slightly smaller to fit the hole? Thank you so much for your help sir!

This may chill your excitement a bit but take a deep breath and think about this for a minute. Do you really think a 3.85" magazine is going to fit into a 3.78" cut out? And do you really believe a magazine with a 3.85" external dimension is going to be made from .0035" thick material have a 3.843" internal dimension?

I suspect the correct numbers are .035" thick material and a 3.78" internal dimension. I also suspect you will have to machine the cutout in your receiver longer.

This may chill your excitement a bit but take a deep breath and think about this for a minute. Do you really think a 3.85" magazine is going to fit into a 3.78" cut out? And do you really believe a magazine with a 3.85" external dimension is going to be made from .0035" thick material have a 3.843" internal dimension?

I suspect the correct numbers are .035" thick material and a 3.78" internal dimension. I also suspect you will have to machine the cutout in your receiver longer.

I fully understand that 3.85 won't fit in a 3.78 hole, but was wondering if accurate mag included the flange that locks the magazine into the bottom metal in their overall measurement, the top of the magazine may actually be slightly smaller. If not, I realize that it may be a machining job. If you haveany info on this, please let me know. Thanks for any information that you may have in advance.

That sounds like exactly what I want! Does your SR2 have a 3.78 action opening too? Does the 3.85 mag work without altering the action? And what brand bottom metal and magazine did you use? Sorry for all the questions, Feenix, I'm just excited and doing my due diligence. I just was unaware if the 3.85 magazine would fit in the 3.78 hole in the bottom of the action. Is this due to the 3.85 mag length counting the flange or something that sits below the action, and the top part of the magazine slightly smaller to fit the hole? Thank you so much for your help sir!

I'm not sure if my SR2 LA has the same action opening as yours but the 3.850" magazine does not require any modification with XLR element chassis. Sorry but I am out of town for a couple of weeks and can't take any measurements at the moment, you might want to contact AJ Goddard of BHA to make sure.

Cheers!

I'd bet it will fit. 3.85 would have to be the largest outside measurement of the mag box. The box steps in and feed lips are recessed from the ends of outer dim of box so I'll just about bet my paycheck it'll go in a rem 700 and Will83's Action as well. I'll
try and get some measurements this weekend on a 700 to see what it looks like.

I'm not sure if my SR2 LA has the same action opening as yours but the 3.850" magazine does not require any modification with XLR element chassis. Sorry but I am out of town for a couple of weeks and can't take any measurements at the moment, you might want to contact AJ Goddard of BHA to make sure.

Cheers!

I will definitely contact AJ in the coming week. Do you remember what brand of magazine that you used?

Cheers!

See pictures below ...

1020150837b_zpsz3a7v7hq.jpg

1%20of%203_zps8a8dywre.jpg

DSCN0842_zpsylykjj02.jpg

Aye Sir, you are correct, I got one to many zeroes, thanks! :D

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.