28 nosler 195 berger RE33 testing

I think they are finding when trying to push the long high BC bullets harder the radiused lands of the 5R barrels put less stress on the bullet jackets that the 90* traditional lands. I know Someone from Bartlein was also in on the thread and was having trouble with a traditional rifles barrel he put together trying to run the long 6.5 SMK 150's. I told him the 5R was handling them just fine. He tried one and that seems to be what their conclusion was. I know a friend is doing ok with a six groove traditional with the 150's but it's on a 6.5 Creedmoor so they are not being pushed fast. Just food for thought.I looked on the Brux site and could not find what rifling configuration they use on their 7mm barrels, you may want to give them a call. I also heard scuddelbutt that Berger may have had a bad run of the 195's in the beginning but I cannot confirm that, it may be worth looking into I don't know when you bought your bullets( how old they are). Good luck.

I think they are finding when trying to push the long high BC bullets harder the radiused lands of the 5R barrels put less stress on the bullet jackets that the 90* traditional lands. I know Someone from Bartlein was also in on the thread and was having trouble with a traditional rifles barrel he put together trying to run the long 6.5 SMK 150's. I told him the 5R was handling them just fine. He tried one and that seems to be what their conclusion was. I know a friend is doing ok with a six groove traditional with the 150's but it's on a 6.5 Creedmoor so they are not being pushed fast. Just food for thought.I looked on the Brux site and could not find what rifling configuration they use on their 7mm barrels, you may want to give them a call. I also heard scuddelbutt that Berger may have had a bad run of the 195's in the beginning but I cannot confirm that, it may be worth looking into I don't know when you bought your bullets( how old they are). Good luck.

Thanks for all the help. I looked on the Brux website and didn't find either. I will have to give both Brux and Berger a call.

Obviously a 8tw is on the ragged edge of tearing up the 195'. I dont get Bergers website. You look on there web about all there bullets and it says the 195 1-9 or faster then you go to there twist calculator and it says 1-8.25 minimum which is it.

Obviously a 8tw is on the ragged edge of tearing up the 195'. I dont get Bergers website. You look on there web about all there bullets and it says the 195 1-9 or faster then you go to there twist calculator and it says 1-8.25 minimum which is it.

It says 1:8 optimal twist on the box. Wish I would have known!

My 3 brux 7mm barrels are 4 grooves. I dont have a borescope but they look like traditional rifling. Not the r. They look the same in 1:9, 1:8.5, and 1:8 as far as grooves and rifling style. Also the grooves are wider than the lands. Hope that helps.

Ok it says 1-8 is optimal, then why are guys tearing them up. I know Berger just changed there twist rate recommendations.
I talked to bergers tech guy and he said it seems to be more from heat in the barrel from multiple firings in a string because the jacket is thinner on the 195's for better expansion in hunting situations. I didn't want to chance it so I got a 1:8.5 after I talked to him.

First I think the 1-8.5 was smart, second I dont buy the heat theory because I know a guy who swore off the 195 because they pin holed on 2 elk even after running a drill bit in the hollow point to make sure that wasnt it. I definitely trust him he's BR shooter and knows what hes doing.
I was there at the range the mourning he was doing load development at 1000 with the 180's. He told me he talked with Berger and sent some back and there response was they measured out fine. Well no s*** he said they shot great but couldn't kill anything with them.
Now dont get me wrong I'm a Berger fan I've shot nothing but 140VLDs through my 6.5x300wsm and they worked flawlessly but what grinds me is I believe they have or had a problem with the 195's and wouldn't own up to it, just my observation right or wrong

First I think the 1-8.5 was smart, second I dont buy the heat theory because I know a guy who swore off the 195 because they pin holed on 2 elk even after running a drill bit in the hollow point to make sure that wasnt it. I definitely trust him he's BR shooter and knows what hes doing.
I was there at the range the mourning he was doing load development at 1000 with the 180's. He told me he talked with Berger and sent some back and there response was they measured out fine. Well no s*** he said they shot great but couldn't kill anything with them.
Now dont get me wrong I'm a Berger fan I've shot nothing but 140VLDs through my 6.5x300wsm and they worked flawlessly but what grinds me is I believe they have or had a problem with the 195's and wouldn't own up to it, just my observation right or wrong

My 195s blew a hole in my mule deer bigger than my fist at a 500 yard impact. If you shoot them under 200 yards you may have issues with expansion, or so I've heard.

I talked to bergers tech guy and he said it seems to be more from heat in the barrel from multiple firings in a string because the jacket is thinner on the 195's for better expansion in hunting situations. I didn't want to chance it so I got a 1:8.5 after I talked to him.

Any experience with 175 lr or 175 edlx with 1:8 ?

Any experience with 175 lr or 175 edlx with 1:8 ?
No. I am thinking of doing a 7-300 wsmand running the 175 eldx, but that is a year or 2 down the road. A friend of mine did a wildcat of of the 28 nosler case and wss shooting the 180 eldm into 3/4" groups at 400 yds. The same gun did about 1 1/2" groups with 195 bergers at 400 if I remember right. He may have posted that on accurate shooter. He's know as wildchild on there.

My Piercision 28N has a 26" 1:8 Proof CF Barrel.

195 EOLs on 86.3 gr. RE33 produce 3064f/s @ sea level.

Here's 3 @ 751yrds. from a mountain top. I took 1/10 MIL of of windage (wind L to R) after the first two shots.

My 195s blew a hole in my mule deer bigger than my fist at a 500 yard impact. If you shoot them under 200 yards you may have issues with expansion, or so I've heard.
Also shot a muley this year at 50 yds with 28 nosler /195 going 3050 acorn size entrance and it expanded perfectly with no issues. Took one step and dropped.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.