270 Win For Long Range Shooting

Cool pictures...................."son". Dang, you guys are serious hunters! Were those guys in a big pack or loners?

On one morning, a few were killed from a pack. The remaining days, they were taken many miles apart so I assume not the same pack. The dog eating wolf was a lone animal from what we could tell from tracks in the snow.

Are those guys with their full winter coats? Also, since you have embarrassed me
by putting up, let me just say you should see the size of some of the prairie dogs we hunt in TEXAS! Also found it interesting, just luck of the draw perhaps, that your .270 stayed in the tent while the bigger dog got to go hunting. What bullets are you using in the 30.06?

Very nice write up! Making it work in Washington can be tough, and you make it look easy. I like'd your pictures a lot, especially the one Len used on the newsletter. Thanks

Wolves were killed in February, so yep, full coats. Some were really big while others not so big, about 80 pounds or the size of a lab.

Yep, day one, took 270, day 2, 30.06, and so on. I was shooting the 168 TTSX in the .06.

I was in one spot for about an hour during a drive. For unknown reasons, my guide came and got me and moved me about 1000 yards down the snowmachine trail but I could see where I WAS before he picked me up. About 10 minutes after he moved me, a HUGE gray wolf crossed the trail and smelled around where I was. I was not happy. I would have had a 20 yard shot had he left me there. Maybe a bit further depending on how far I could see into the trees, but still, I watched that big wolf through my binos and he was a big animal. I would liked to have tagged him.

I have hunted TX. Killed a nice pronghorn there in 2008. Did some hog hunting as a primer in Throckmorton a few days before that. Here's my pronghorn. Killed him with a 270/110TTSX combo at 200 yards on the nose:

TXantelope2008.jpg

thanks for the article.
i got a 280 for my two oldest sons because of the bullet selection etc. is so much better for a 7 mm, but i love the 270 format. that was 20 some yearsago. they have taken several moose, caribou, muskox, with those rifles and all with one shot. however, neither reloads and they wait anxously for "dad" to do that for them when they get low. if i had forseen this, i would have gotten them a 270 as there is ammo anywhere for that cartridge, even podunk africa carries 270. however, if your kids will be reloaders, the 280 will do whatever the 270 will and better all around. going to get my youngest, a girl, a 243 to start this year and a 270 later. or i might get the 270 now and put a brake on it. yeahh.......:rolleyes:

thanks for the article.
going to get my youngest, a girl, a 243 to start this year and a 270 later. or i might get the 270 now and put a brake on it. yeahh.......:rolleyes:

I had a 270 built for my friend and his family. He has 4 daughters and 1 son. The HS Precision stock was shortened an inch and a pachmyer pad was installed. The load is 130 gr Barnes TSX and H4831SC powder. The trigger is 2 pounds. Adam's wife, 2 oldest daughters, and some cousins all use this 270. No flinching, no problems with recoil. Youngest daughter to use it was 11 at the time, she's petite. So, IMO, forget the 243! Start with a good long action! What do you think?

COmulieJourney2011.jpg

COmulieJourney2010.jpg

COmulieEmari2010.jpg

COmulieSydney2010.jpg

CObuckBrit2010.jpg

Blackbuck2.jpg

Imarisbuck1.jpg

Brittbuck3.jpg

All killed with the same 270 and load. Not bad I'd say.

I have hunted TX. Killed a nice pronghorn there in 2008. Did some hog hunting as a primer in Throckmorton a few days before that. Here's my pronghorn. Killed him with a 270/110TTSX combo at 200 yards on the nose:

TXantelope2008.jpg

Are you sure I was not 33 when you were born? Used to dove hunt in Bronco, Tx right on the NM border. Lots of antelope, mostly on NM side. Bronco sits on the road into NM from Plains. Basically it was a gas station with ranches all around that they measure in sections, not acres.

derek and jimbo,
thanks for teh pics and info. i'm inclined to agree with you. we have problems with grizzly and BIG wolves here in montana. have pics of 5 taken in the "BOB" just 25 miles away from here this last year. all of which, if standing on their hind legs would have draped their front legs over a 6 foot man's shoulders. would feel much safer for her with the 270 in a barnes tsx or so. a little recoil shy and hasnt shot much as i just got custody for her so will probably elect to go with a good brake. thanks again for the info.

I had a 270 built for my friend and his family. He has 4 daughters and 1 son. The HS Precision stock was shortened an inch and a pachmyer pad was installed. The load is 130 gr Barnes TSX and H4831SC powder. The trigger is 2 pounds. Adam's wife, 2 oldest daughters, and some cousins all use this 270. No flinching, no problems with recoil. Youngest daughter to use it was 11 at the time, she's petite. So, IMO, forget the 243! Start with a good long action! What do you think?

COmulieJourney2011.jpg

COmulieJourney2010.jpg

COmulieEmari2010.jpg

COmulieSydney2010.jpg

CObuckBrit2010.jpg

Blackbuck2.jpg

Imarisbuck1.jpg

Brittbuck3.jpg

All killed with the same 270 and load. Not bad I'd say.

Those are outstanding for desert mulies, I presume? That gun has paid for itself many times over. Keep up the great work. You must have some sleeper places to hunt.

pistol packer, yes, I'd go with a brake if necessary, just drape ear protectors over the neck while hunting and place them prior to the shot. I don't know what's worse, being sensitive to recoil or braked blast...very loud. Another option is to get some 110 TSX/TTSX bullets for practice and deer and just carry some bigger bullets with you to chamber when necessary. May be too much trouble, I don't know, but I'd definitely bypass the 243. To me the 270 is THE starting rifle and also, a PERMANENT love affair. Perfect deer rifle caliber, IMO. Lets face it, what's the tally up to now with bullet selection from 100 grain to 175? What's not to like? If I had to pick a short action, my minimum is the 260 Remington. I think it surpasses the 243 substantially enough to justify it as a harder hitting, short action, easy carry rifle and you can still blast some 140 bullets out of it. Again, what's not to like? :D

Jimbo, those mule deer are all SW Colorado. And yes, Adam has a bunch of honey holes that always seem to produce! That man is his father.

That rifle is the 700 DM with all the engraving. #3 Lilja barrel, Leupold 6x18 scope, HS Precision stock. Of course I had to test drive the rifle prior to delivery to my buddy, so I was happy to kill a few pronghorn in WY with it using a 150 Btip. Got them all on film too.

derek m.
duhhhh. just call me homer. i do that with my other rifles a lot and i never even thought aobut that with jessie. ha. yeah, will let her shoot the lighter loads and just carry the heavy hitters for in transit. you dont feel recoil when a bear is charging anyway.
thanks.
jim

yea, with that kind of excitement, I doubt you'd sense shittin your pants too. I know I wouldn't notice.

My brother insists on me ONLY loading the 110s for him for his South Carolina deer and he has no shortage of venison. He told me he really likes the minimal recoil.

you can load 2 rounds in a 270 on top with a 110, and have the lower 2 rounds with a 130 or bigger. She'd never know the difference on a hunt. It's all different when those crosshairs are centered on the chest of your game animal.

That pronghorn you see me with above was killed with that Ruger 270/Hart bbl, and the 110 TTSX over H4350, Win brass, 210M primer.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts